Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2016, 11:18 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm always a bit mystified by the hold the camera upside down advice that is the norm. I never do this. I base it on observing dust in the air. If you look at a bright sun beam in your house you will see dust floating in the air currents. This stuff is so light that down has almost no meaning in the timeframe you will be cleaning. The air movement from the blower is far stronger than the force of gravity minus air resistance and lift caused by ir currents from convection and other forces. I clean my camera in whatever orientation is easiest. And my sensor gets clean. It seems like holding the camera upside down is only making things harder.

I'm curious if others have tried cleaning in different orientations and found problems or if this is just common wisdom that is untested.

Edited for tone - original post was unintentionally rude.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-19-2016 at 07:51 AM.
11-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm always a bit mystified by the hold the camera upside down advice. I never do. Go look at bright sun beam in your house. You will see dust floating in the air currents. This stuff is so light that down has almost no meaning in the time you will be cleaning. The air movement is far far stronger than gravity vs air resistance. I clean my camera in whatever orientation is easiest. And my sensor gets clean. Just stop believing in magic. Dust doesn't fall quickly and holding the camera upside down is only making things harder.
Ah that is one way to get your point across, insult others with a different PoV and experience.

Oh the other hand, I see what you mean yet it is a reason I do what I do. There are more than the 3 particles in the room, that are currently trying to be removed from the sensor. As you mentioned, there is a ton of it in the room.. unless you're in an industrial clean room. Dust does fall quickly, and depending on the amount circulating in the room, it can become a nuisance. However, in my experience holding the camera at an angle down or directly above me has worked better.

Do what you think is best, but I will do (and recommend) what I find best too.
11-19-2016, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ah that is one way to get your point across, insult others with a different PoV and experience.

Oh the other hand, I see what you mean yet it is a reason I do what I do. There are more than the 3 particles in the room, that are currently trying to be removed from the sensor. As you mentioned, there is a ton of it in the room.. unless you're in an industrial clean room. Dust does fall quickly, and depending on the amount circulating in the room, it can become a nuisance. However, in my experience holding the camera at an angle down or directly above me has worked better.

Do what you think is best, but I will do (and recommend) what I find best too.
Forgive me. I didn't mean to insult. It was late and I was quite tired. But my point wasn't that more dust is always present it was that dust floats on very tiny air currents and the force of blown air is many orders of magnitude larger than the force of gravity on the dust. The air blown st the sensor should displace the air near the sensor so rapidly that even upside down the dust in the camera will be expelled. Yes it is possible more dust may get in. But in the process of dislodging the dust the blower takes in the unclean air so my assumption is that the dust removal process is sufficient to clean off the little that gets in.

Again, I apologize if my tone was condescending or rude. It was really only meant to express my thinking about this and start a conversation.
11-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
think its gone thanks for all the tips..

got a blower and that seemed to sort it out, then ran the dust alert, couldn't see anything obvious

I've got some kind of spec I've just noticed just below the [ ] on the showing on the view finder... but im struggling to see it in photos

I retrieved the ephemeral dust alert photo off the SD card and couldn't see a problem on there... it was taken against a very white wall

11-27-2016, 02:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
I've got some kind of spec I've just noticed just below the [ ] on the showing on the view finder... but im struggling to see it in photos
It will be either on the mirror, in which case easy to remove with the blower, or inside the viewfinder, in which case not easily removable.

Save