Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Monitor recommendations

I think my current monitor is dying, the colors are changing on me, so hoping to hit some cyber monday sales for a new monitor. Anyone have recommendations? I have done some research but looking for real word experience. I have an older mac, so not sure about needing an updated video card. I do art shows mostly, black and white, and do my own printing with an Epson. Any advice?

11-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Any IPS technology monitor will work fine. Viewsonic makes some decent models for a decent price.
I have an old ViewSonic VP2356wb and it calibrates almost identically to my iMac.

Of course, I'm looking at the new 5K Retina from LG (replaced Apples cinema displays)
LG's latest 5K screen is Apple's new flagship display
(Come on lottery winnings!!) :-)
11-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Any IPS technology monitor will work fine. Viewsonic makes some decent models for a decent price.
I have an old ViewSonic VP2356wb and it calibrates almost identically to my iMac.

Of course, I'm looking at the new 5K Retina from LG (replaced Apples cinema displays)
LG's latest 5K screen is Apple's new flagship display
(Come on lottery winnings!!) :-)
That looks nice! I am trying to work out getting a monitor and a scanner, although I may sell the scanner later. I wanted to scan all the family slides within the next year too.
11-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

I'm somewhat looking for a new monitor too. My 9 year old HP is working fine, but I think I just want to upgrade..

A few things I think are important to check on a monitor:

format (16:9 or 16:10)
panel type (TN, VA, or IPS)
screen type (glossy or matte)
connector types (HDMI, DVI, Displayport, Mini Displayport) -- I think for Mac you might need to check this especially

16:10 (think 1920x1200) are really nice if you intend on working with documents, multimedia (audio or video) work, or website viewing as it provides more vertical screen space than the normal 16:9 ratio screens (think 1920x1080).

With panel types all IPS are not the same -- there are different ones and the kind you get may have a different ability to represent colors. For instance, the cheap eIPS are generally 6 bit + FRC to mimimc 8 bit color.

The expensive ones do full, 10 bit color. But you need a video card that can output 10 bit color. I don't think the off the shelf Geforce or Radeon style cards do this in 2d mode -- rather you might need one of the workstation type cards.

My recommendation would be to go to an electronic store and get an idea of screen types. Of course the ones on display generally aren't calibrated and probably have been adjusted by numerous other customers. But you can still get a feel for panel type, screen surface (glossy or matte) type, and features.

I've discovered I loathe Matte finish screens. The thick grain looks horrible on print/website viewing and is very tiring to my eyes. So I go for glossy screens, despite them reflecting like a mirror. Plus glossy generally punches color a bit (cheap trick).

In any case.. there are a few things to consider.

11-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Depends on your budget. I'd recommend getting a good quality IPS, 10-bit color monitor (like this one: Dell UP2516D UltraSharp 25" Widescreen Quad HD LED Monitor UP2516D), the only downside (like anything else when buying stuff) the better quality stuff ends up being a bit more expensive. Now it may be expensive, but compared to other similar-speced monitors (that are at least $900+ and up) it's on the cheap end.
11-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Definitely check on what your video card can handle, before you drop the money on a high end monitor.
11-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

I'm sorta new here - been reading since last spring, but this is my first post - have been in love with Pentax cameras since the mid/late 70's.

I just picked up a Samsung S34E790C and finding I'm really liking it. It's a VA panel, and from what I am seeing, VA tends to have higher contrast ratios. This has a static ratio of 3000:1, and I think it shows. A friend came by with his 34" IPS LG panel rated at 1000:1, and it lost detail in the darks where the Samsung still was showing quite a bit. The colors may have had more of a "pop" on the LG, but overall we came away picking the Samsung for the range in detail from the darks through the highlights. They both were very close on the highlight detail. That was really subjective as much as anything. The curve is nice. I like it. The LG was flat, but it wasn't a problem to look at either.

Prices on this monitor have been all over the place. It lists for just under $1000, but it was on a one day special on Newegg last week for $550. I've seen it recently range up and down from about $580 to $700 on Amazon/B&H/Newegg. Here it is on B&H (currently list price...)

Samsung S34E790C 34" Ultra-Wide Curved Monitor S34E790C B&H

I found this article over at Tom's Hardware helpful on sorting out the differences - this link should go to a summary of the panel types:

How to Find a Great Computer Monitor for Business or Pleasure

Hope this all helps

11-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
SNIP...good quality IPS, 10-bit color monitor (like this one: Dell UP2516D UltraSharp 25" Widescreen Quad HD LED Monitor UP2516D)...SNIP
Dell makes pretty good monitors. The UP2516D linked above has a less expensive but very similar companion, model U2515H. Both models are supposed to be color calibrated by Dell before shipping.

U2515H: $320 on Amazon, deltaE < 3 [deltaE refers to color accuracy]
UP2516D: $470 on Amazon, deltaE < 2, extra features that are helpful if connecting multiple PCs

The OP mentioned art shows in B&W. Contrast might be more important than color. Either monitor should be good if the OP wants a 25" screen.
11-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #9

The Samsung SE790C range are excellent. I use the 29" S29E790C which is a curved screen 16:9 format. In use the curve is not noticeable and the edges appear more natural to your eyes than a flat screen.

I use as an extended screen with a 15" Sony Vaio laptop. Using LR5, Sigma Photo Pro and Auto PanoGiga, the Sony is the work screen with the Samsung as preview screen, although it is big enough at 29" to use as a single screen.
If chosen, ensure your graphics card will drive the native resolution of 2560x1080.