Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2016, 04:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is Lightroom 5 worth having?

I found a legit, legal deal on Lightroom 5 for $45.

Is it worth buying?

How would I have to use it to make it worth my while?

I cu rrently u see Elements 10 and Apple's software.

Thanks.

11-30-2016, 04:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I personally find Lightroom much more intuitive than PS (never tried Apple software) - it's much more directed towards photo post processing, which it does beautifully, rather than image manipulation, and of course is totally non-destructive of original files. I think it's a great programme, but of course different people have different needs

Last edited by ffking; 11-30-2016 at 10:18 AM.
11-30-2016, 04:51 AM   #3

I was contemplating the same a few weeks ago then just went with the subscription on the Adobe CC Photography package. Photoshop, Bridge and Lightroom, all with the latest updates all the time for less than a few days morning coffee money.
11-30-2016, 05:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Absolutely, unless you're willing to pay a subscription to adobe. I'm not so I bought LR5 just before CC was released. I think the only thing LR5 is missing is pano stitching. Anyway, with the demise of Aperture, LR is the best option for photo processing.

11-30-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use Lightroom CC's dehaze on most of my photos, but that might just be because of where I live. 6 has some performance enhancements, I believe, for larger catalogs. You might want to double-check and make sure 5 has the content aware healing brush.
11-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, I am going for it.
11-30-2016, 06:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Thanks, I am going for it.
Make sure it supports/recognises you camera(s).

It's the thing that gets me with Adobe; they just stop supporting older software by not updating profiles, etc.
11-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Make sure it supports/recognises you camera(s).

It's the thing that gets me with Adobe; they just stop supporting older software by not updating profiles, etc.
How do you think a software developer should do it? It isn't reasonable to keep supporting Lightroom 1, for example. What if an update breaks something? Another thread around here mentioned that profiles are still updated for Lightroom 6, which seems reasonable.

11-30-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also dont like subscriptions, so try to get the latest standalone version. LR is very good because it is very simple to use, but still pretty good. And you especially have a lot of support - plugins, profiles, etc. Sure, RawTherapee has some really nice features, the Pentax SilkyPix has special features with Pentax gear.. but LR is just so much faster to use. At least for me. I would recommend LR6 btw, because it will probably have some more support for the new gear than the older LR version.

Is the deal good? I don't know in terms of money - that is for you personally to decide. But it is probably much better than the subscriptions and cloud. I really dislike that so much software is moving in this direction! It brings so many problems and costs so much money. Big problem for us amateurs
11-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes. At some point lightroom will support pixel shift images. It doesn't in lr5, but who cares. It works for the k-1 just fine, and I'm not going to be upgrading that camera for a while. A stand alone copy of Lightroom is better for the consumer than a subscription model. Vote with your feet, don't pay a subscription.
11-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #11

I've also been looking for a retail copy of Lightroom 5. If the deal you found is open to others, could you post the link? Thanks. I've been dabbling with RawTherapee, and I'm sold on what "post-processing" can do. Anyways, many thanks if you can post the link.
11-30-2016, 08:41 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Blame for the move to the cloud lives in a really weird place -- the Sarbanes-Oxley act (that's the finance reform bill passed in the wake of Enron et al) and its affects in conjunction with a couple of general accountancy laws (sab101 and Eitf 00-21). There's a piece in that conglomeration of rules that deals with when companies are allowed to report profits on a product, and they have to be in the same fiscal year; and something about not substantially changing a product outside of the fiscal year it was sold in. The rule is supposed to protect against sneaky shifting money around but somehow it ended up applying to software. Companies large enough for SOX to apply can release bug fixes for as long as they like, whenever they like, but any new functionality can only be added within the fiscal year (or maybe the quarter, I forget) that the product originally went on sale in. Free things don't have the restriction (no profits to report), and neither do subscriptions (you're paying for a service, not an object). Hence, Apple going free with their operating system (after initially trying to comply by charging small fees for new features like unlocking faster wifi in laptops that had the hardware but not the software because it wasn't a confirmed specification yet), software. Companies moving to subscription models since they can't add functionality without charging a fee and going through "onerous" accounting headaches.
11-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
How do you think a software developer should do it? It isn't reasonable to keep supporting Lightroom 1, for example. What if an update breaks something? Another thread around here mentioned that profiles are still updated for Lightroom 6, which seems reasonable.
How difficult can it be to keep Lightroom up to date for a few years? I'm not asking for new functionality, just for it to recognise new cameras. Plenty of other stuff gets updated without problems. 5-6 years would be reasonable, or maybe back two versions? Plenty of people don't want or need the new functionality.
11-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoggle Quote
I've also been looking for a retail copy of Lightroom 5. If the deal you found is open to others, could you post the link? Thanks. I've been dabbling with RawTherapee, and I'm sold on what "post-processing" can do. Anyways, many thanks if you can post the link.
Sorry, only one copy.

I guess this the end of this thread.

Again, thanks for the info that lead me to buy it.
11-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Sorry, only one copy.

I guess this the end of this thread.

Again, thanks for the info that lead me to buy it.
I upgraded from LR5 to LR6, but LR5 is essentially 90% as good and at that price, if it is legit/legal it's an excellent program and price. There are other RAW processors out there, but LR is the industry standard for a reason. Kudos!