Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #1

Affinity Photo raw beta for windows

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Affinity photo has released their raw/photo suite - for windows. It is Bata only while they find bugs and update, so far I have only found 1 issue, its known,,, so if you are looking for a Lightroom replacement light me, give it a try.... I'm not paying for a monthly subscription and as Adobe continues to improve their cc version of lightroom , Lightroom 5 will get no new updates, and slowly become old.....

Affinity web sight ;

Affinity - Professional creative software

FYI. I have been trying on1 photo, but their new on1 raw release will not work with my video card. so they are out... Yes I know, i could buy a new computer, but everything else works just fine, soooo why?

11-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi. Are you aware that Lightroom 6 exists? Whilst it isn't receiving functional updates like CC, it does get camera and lens updates (I use it myself). And as far as I'm aware, it will be replaced at some point with Lightroom 7. I don't believe Adobe is discontinuing the standalone version (if someone else knows otherwise, I'd appreciate a link to that announcement)...
11-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi. Are you aware that Lightroom 6 exists? Whilst it isn't receiving functional updates like CC, it does get camera and lens updates (I use it myself). And as far as I'm aware, it will be replaced at some point with Lightroom 7. I don't believe Adobe is discontinuing the standalone version (if someone else knows otherwise, I'd appreciate a link to that announcement)...
I agree, I think I stated that incorrectly, I don't think they will abandon it as a stand alone, they for sure will add new cameras, I wander if they will add all the cc updates to the stand alone, all the new capabilities, They crippled Elements with 8 bit color processing for most functions to protect PS,
I think they will do the same type of thing with lightroom standalone, to drive cc, they may not, But time will tell, If you are not using PS now then Affinity may be a good option,,, IF you use PS then maybe not... I like lightroom, used it for a long time and I am new to Affinity, so far There are a few things Lightroom does that affinity does but it requires masks. A few more steps, but I get the PS capability along with the raw capability. all at 16 bit color depth. without having to by PS or go to cc.

---------- Post added 11-30-16 at 12:41 PM ----------

Mike, I see we are both pet lovers, just a different spices

jeff

---------- Post added 11-30-16 at 12:43 PM ----------

LOL, that should be "Species"
11-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jevans Quote
I agree, I think I stated that incorrectly, I don't think they will abandon it as a stand alone, they for sure will add new cameras, I wander if they will add all the cc updates to the stand alone, all the new capabilities, They crippled Elements with 8 bit color processing for most functions to protect PS,
I think they will do the same type of thing with lightroom standalone, to drive cc,
I suspect they've had quite a backlash from stand-alone Lightroom users who just won't move to the CC model (of which I'm one). I can see Adobe taking one of three paths:

1. Kill Lightroom stand-alone as a product, add new cameras and lenses for a period of time and then stop
2. Kill Lightroom stand-alone, add new cameras and lenses indefinitely, but no new features
3. Keep Lightroom stand-alone, add new cameras and lenses, and add all or most LR CC features at each major release (i.e. at LR7 we'd see most of what is current in CC at that time)

I hope they'll go with 3. If they go with 2, I'll make sure I have the latest and last available version, and I'll stick with it, as it does everything I need in RAW processing and library management, and does most of it extremely well. If they choose option 1, I'll do the same until - and this seems fairly unlikely - I consider upgrading to equipment that isn't supported in the final version.

Of course, if other software comes along that I find to be better than LR (and that's a very subjective and personal assessment), I may switch. I've tried DxO and Capture One, and still prefer LR. I'm prepared to consider Affinity if it works well for me

If you are not using PS now then Affinity may be a good option,,, IF you use PS then maybe not... I like lightroom, used it for a long time and I am new to Affinity, so far There are a few things Lightroom does that affinity does but it requires masks. A few more steps, but I get the PS capability along with the raw capability. all at 16 bit color depth. without having to by PS or go to cc.
Yes, I absolutely see the attraction of Affinity. I downloaded the beta quite recently and have played with it a little, then just this evening downloaded the updated beta and had another little play. My experience so far hasn't been entirely positive. Some of that is me having a slightly hard time adapting to the different interface and workflow, but much is down to slow import times, sub-par capabilities with shadow and highlight recovery, and noise reduction (especially in high ISO images - it does weird things with colour noise reduction in black surfaces **, for instance). Those are deal breakers for me if they're not sorted out in the final release, and I don't really have the appetite to invest time in learning the interface fully if those fundamental issues remain. But, again, I do see the value proposition, and for many Affinity Photo may be an excellent alternative to LR.

** I'm not totally sure, but the colour noise reduction issue seems not to deal with the red channel particularly well. I see black surfaces turning to blotchy purple... hmmm...

Mike, I see we are both pet lovers, just a different spices

LOL, that should be "Species"
I love all animals, Jeff, but have never been without at least one feline companion for the last 27 years

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-30-2016 at 02:00 PM.
11-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Affinity photo has released their raw/photo suite - for windows. It is Bata only
Previous mention:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...-released.html
11-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consider this one now closed.
Closed Thread