Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lightroom on 27" iMac

So I just upgraded to a 27" iMac with the 5k retina display from a 6 year old Mac Book Pro, what a difference, the display is amazing!

I've always hated the post processing part of photography but this may make it a little more enjoyable. Besides the display the speed at which Lightroom works is so much better. I didn't realize how slow my old laptop was until I started working with this, now I just need to learn Lightroom better so I can get the most out of it.

I did look at the new Microsoft Surface Studio Pro and it was nice, the resolution wasn't as good but close, the big draw back was it was $1000 more. If price was the same I really would have considered switching to a windows platform for the first time in sixteen years.

12-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I really enjoy this monitor, too, although I wish that the display (color, etc.) was customizable. The adjustment options are surprisingly limited.
12-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
So I just upgraded to a 27" iMac with the 5k retina display from a 6 year old Mac Book Pro, what a difference, the display is amazing!

I've always hated the post processing part of photography but this may make it a little more enjoyable. Besides the display the speed at which Lightroom works is so much better. I didn't realize how slow my old laptop was until I started working with this, now I just need to learn Lightroom better so I can get the most out of it.

I did look at the new Microsoft Surface Studio Pro and it was nice, the resolution wasn't as good but close, the big draw back was it was $1000 more. If price was the same I really would have considered switching to a windows platform for the first time in sixteen years.

How much ram did you get? I've got 8G and I want to bump it up to 16G as I think it is a bit slow.
12-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I got 16G of memory and the 2 terabyte hard drive that has 128G of flash. I think Adobe recommend 8 so I figured doubling it was the smart way to go.

I ordered it on Black Friday when Apple was giving $150 gift cards with orders so I used that for a 4 terabyte external hard drive to run time machine and store all my photos.

12-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really liked the 27 in iMac and I seriously considered it. My problem was desk space. I just didn't have the room for it currently and the purchase would have meant the the additional cost of furniture. I was also apprehensive being a Windows user for so many years so I went cheap with a Mac Mini which I'm happy with so far although it's only been a few days.

Congrats on the purchase. While most of us consider B&H our photo gear source, they're a good computer source and they had the 27" 5K with 8GB and the standard HD for $1599 at one point and I was very tempted but held off. I'm getting by on the cheap right now with the Mini but no regrets. The memory in the 27" is user upgradable and you could have saved even more getting the 8GB and buying your memory from Amazon or Newegg.