Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cross Platform DAM/RAW

Looking for a good asset management tool and raw editor.

It needs to be able to work on mac and windows. And i would really like to be able to move an image from one computer to another and pick up editing where i left off.

I currently use lightroom 6 on my mac. Bit i'd really like to license it on 2 more computers (total of 3)
to my understanding lightroom only has a 2 machine license.

looking into digikam right now. and also downloaded the affinity beta. Digikam is open source, but affinity has a cost. I have no issues paying for software, but i'm not going to pay adobe double to run it on 3 machines (all personal machines)

anyone have any input? any idea what the licensing scheme ill be for affinity?

other options to look into?

*** Edit***
ok, so affinity looks more like photoshop then lightroom, the hunt continues....
digikam test is next.

Last edited by link81; 12-05-2016 at 12:21 PM.
12-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hasselblad Phocus?

Phocus - Hasselblad
12-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote

It needs to be able to work on mac and windows. And i would really like to be able to move an image from one computer to another and pick up editing where i left off.

I currently use lightroom 6 on my mac. Bit i'd really like to license it on 2 more computers (total of 3)

looking into digikam right now. and also downloaded the affinity beta. Digikam is open source, but affinity has a cost. I have no issues paying for software, but i'm not going to pay adobe double to run it on 3 machines (all personal machines)

*** Edit***
ok, so affinity looks more like photoshop then lightroom, the hunt continues....
digikam test is next.
Bridge CC comes to mind (it's 100% free). You'd still need to figure out the raw converter problem, the simplest IMO would be to grab another copy of LR6, or use CC.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
vtn

*** Edit***
digikam test is next.
I am very happy with darktable darktable | the photo workflow software

12-06-2016, 12:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vtn Quote
I am very happy with darktable darktable | the photo workflow software
I love darktable as well. It is awesome. But, as a word of warning, there is no official windows build. Therefore, you'd have to use an unofficial one, with no developer support. (Yes, the developers do help users out with bug reports/finding issues and are pretty good at giving solutions for the Linux and OS X versions!)
12-06-2016, 01:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

*** Edit***
digikam test is next.
This probably doesn't solve your dilemma, but I've put my Lightroom catalog + photos on an external SSD, and the catalog opens fine on both my Lightroom CC copy at home and Lightroom 6 at school. If you format the drive ExFat, both Windows and Mac can read it.

The only big gotcha is I have to remember to change the import location every time on the school computers, but that's a fact of life dealing with Deep Freeze, not a bug with my set up or Lightroom.
12-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
This probably doesn't solve your dilemma, but I've put my Lightroom catalog + photos on an external SSD, and the catalog opens fine on both my Lightroom CC copy at home and Lightroom 6 at school. If you format t
i already do that, so that part is pretty simple.

i dodn't know there was an unofficial build for darktable. interesting. will look into it.

thanks all.....

12-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Few software can do both DAM and Raw processing well let alone be cross-platform. Capture 1 may do what you need, but I'm not sure how could its catalog is; it is not a cheap software, but it could be worth the investment.

I thought ACDSee would be a good option, but it looks like they have a separate software for Mac. You might investigate further.

The new On1 Photo Raw might work, but I'm not terribly impressed with it, yet, and I have not investigated what it does for management.
12-08-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I run ftp and vnc servers cross-platform
So I can drive my scanner connected to Win, from linux as client
Then ftp files to linux and edit in Darktable etc
12-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

I am a Capture One user and yes it does support both Windows and Mac. I only have Windows machines but I am pretty sure that the Capture One catalogue structures are just different enough that they are not instantly transferable between platforms. Phase One also markets Media Pro SE, which is a dedicated DAM product. They are integrating most but not all of the Media Pro capabilities into Capture One. However, Capture One does not work all that well with documents, video and other non-photographic assets.
03-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
s, i've tried a bunch of different applications, and solutions to this.

Rawtherapee got really close, could have replaced my RAW converter with that, but the DAM aspect i was totally unable to find a suitable solution.

Add in LR mobile, and not having to completely re-learn or re-edit anything seems to make this almost a no-brainer.

Honestly, i think i'm going to jump on the cc bandwagon. sigh.