Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-07-2016, 06:08 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Noise reduction in addition to Elements

I like to keep my post-processing fairly simple and Photoshop Elements 13 does most of what I need, but I find the noise filter in Elements makes hardly any difference. Is there noise reduction software available that I can use in conjunction with Elements without having to move up to another level such as Photoshop or Lightroom?
Thanks for your input

12-07-2016, 06:19 AM   #2

For noise reduction you might try the now free Nik software. (The noise reduction part is called Dfine). I use Elements too and the Nik software works seamlessly with it.
12-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I second the Google NIK collection.
12-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, Google Nik. Within that suite is a tool called Dfine2 which handles noise reduction. Note that like most other software, it doesn't do a fantastic job on colour noise at very high ISO (it's not too bad, but I prefer Lightroom for colour noise reduction by far) - but other than that, it works brilliantly. Unfortunately, most people just use the default settings, which is a shame, because it is capable of much, much better results if you learn to use it fully...

12-07-2016, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody - I've just downloaded Nik Effects and read through the Dfine2 notes, and it looks like it conforms to my "keep it simple" approach and will be a good fit with Elements.
12-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used the Nik Dfine2 software also. I make a copy of the image file I want to do noise reduction on, copy it, then drop the file on the Dfine2 execution file. Then Dfine2 opens the file, does automatic noise reduction it which is usually excellent, and you can either accept that, or use available tools to do other changes. I'm assuming you are going to use it as a plug-in, but I just thought I would mention how I have used it without being a plug-in.

Last edited by C_Jones; 12-07-2016 at 09:34 AM.
12-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I use Topaz Denoise with Elements, and it works very well. I use a Mac, but they also make a Windows version.

12-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Akvis Noisebuster and I am very pleased with the results. You can try it before you buy it. It come stand alone or as a plug in.
12-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I used to use noise ninja back in the day and it was a ton better than photoshop (CS2). Also Dxo is supposed to have a really good denoiser.
Lastly, does Photoshop Elements have a RAW development? Setting the denoising there, as opposed to a filter is much more powerful.
12-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Lastly, does Photoshop Elements have a RAW development?
You can open images in Camera Raw but there are limits to what you can do and I don't think that's one of the options.
12-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
You can open images in Camera Raw but there are limits to what you can do and I don't think that's one of the options.
Agree. It is not an option. Nik is free. One poster mentioned Topaz. I use their "Adjust," "Clarity," and Black and White conversion software (can't remember the name of the B&W software). I have been very happy with all of it. It will work with your Photoshop Elements and appears as a filter. If you poke around a bit, you can usually find a 40% off coupon.
12-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Dfine is great because you can drop control points on the subject, background and foreground and rapidly adjust the different grains to taste.
12-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
I used to use noise ninja back in the day and it was a ton better than photoshop (CS2). Also Dxo is supposed to have a really good denoiser.
Lastly, does Photoshop Elements have a RAW development? Setting the denoising there, as opposed to a filter is much more powerful.
Agree the Noise filter in Elements is virtually useless. However, Elements does have a RAW developer (ACR) Not as powerful as the full Photoshop version but it can open any image (PEF, JPG, DNG etc) as a RAW file and it does have luminance and colour noise reduction features under the Detail Tab. They are far better than the filters in Elements itself. I always used them in ACR in preference to treating the photos in Elements. Since acquiring Lightroom I do most noise reduction in Lightroom and occasionally use Topaz Denoise for tricky ones. I have downloaded the Nik software but have not really got the hang of it yet.