Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Surface Pro 4? (Or Similar)

Just wondering if anyone is using the Surface Pro 4 tablet for processing files in Lightroom/Photoshop? Particularly of interest would be anyone using one for the 36mp files from the K1!
Contemplating a Windows tablet as an upgrade to my existing Android Pixel C which doesn't handle RAW files at all really and of the Windows Laptops which interest me (Surface Pro 4, Acer Switch 12 & Lenovo X1 Tablet) it seems that the Pro 4 is the best all rounder, and the dearest! But I'm interested to hear if anyone on here is using one for their photography.

12-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edin_togger Quote
Just wondering if anyone is using the Surface Pro 4 tablet for processing files in Lightroom/Photoshop? Particularly of interest would be anyone using one for the 36mp files from the K1!
Contemplating a Windows tablet as an upgrade to my existing Android Pixel C which doesn't handle RAW files at all really and of the Windows Laptops which interest me (Surface Pro 4, Acer Switch 12 & Lenovo X1 Tablet) it seems that the Pro 4 is the best all rounder, and the dearest! But I'm interested to hear if anyone on here is using one for their photography.
Yes, I use Lightroom CC and the Surface Pro 4 for my K-S2 Raw files. It works fine. Get a mouse, it is much easier to use than the pen. If you do want other USB devices then plan on getting a USB hub device since you only have one USB port on the Surface Pro 4.
12-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have been using a Acer R7 for the past 2 yrs which is great.
Its 15" with active stylus and upgraded with 16G Ram and 2 SSD.

IMO, it was ahead for its time with the way the screen pivoted for a touch oriented usage.
Too bad the reviews always mentioned the pivot screen as odd because it covered the touch pad. (which is actually irrelevant if one is using a touch screen)

No problems handling K1 files in LR and PS CC.
12-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Yes, I use Lightroom CC and the Surface Pro 4 for my K-S2 Raw files. It works fine. Get a mouse, it is much easier to use than the pen. If you do want other USB devices then plan on getting a USB hub device since you only have one USB port on the Surface Pro 4.
A blue tooth mouse is an option.

I find the rig OK for quick and dirty, but I think I'll still be doing my more serious edits on the desktop.

12-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with mattt - get a bluetooth (BT) mouse, to save your USB port. I have a Surface 4 Pro and love it, and use a Microsoft 3600 BT mouse.

The Surface Pro 4 does not play well with Photoshop Elements (version 9, at least). Everything shows up too small to use.
12-21-2016, 12:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You might want to look at the Lenovo Yoga 10. It is a two in one that can be used in tablet mode. They have an i7/16GB/512GB SSD with 4K screen for some good prices right now. It has the latest generation i7 chip. The screen doesn't detach but it does fold all the way back flat so it can be used like a tablet. It is a beautiful and highly functional 14" design. I've seen them for between $1200 - $1500. A similarly spec'd Surface Pro 4 would run you close to $2600.
12-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It should work fine but consider that they have have rather small SSD's that will fill rather quickly with Raw files from your K1 so add an external hard drive to your list of things to purchase and store your photo library on the external. As suggested, get a hub.

12-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I've ended up with the i5, 8GB, 256GB Surface Pro 4 and have a Surface Doc on the way.
Not too concerned about the smaller SSD as I have an external HDD already.
Frankly for the offer I got I couldn't pass it up even though I was almost swayed by just buying an ultrabook I'm glad I didn't, the SP4 and keyboard cover is a lot lighter than I expected.
12-23-2016, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edin_togger Quote
Not too concerned about the smaller SSD as I have an external HDD already.
You can also slide in a microSD card - I put a 128 GB one in my SP4. It's easy to take in and out.
12-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
You can also slide in a microSD card - I put a 128 GB one in my SP4. It's easy to take in and out.
Good shout, forgot it had a micro SD slot actually!