Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoramone Quote
Have mostly used photo editing that came with my Mac Desk-top, but it is very LIMITED in it's ability, as am I. Any tips on how to use, or even IF to use "SILKYPIX".. RJM
Silkypix is very powerful and if you want to spend an extensive amount of time learning it, then it is very good. It is also very slow and not very intuitive. I have downloaded the Studio Pro version and tried it many times, but its just not what I like. Lightroom is much easier and really very economical. There is a world of free educational information for Lightroom. Capture One is very good and I love the look of it. C1 has a steeper learning curve than LR, but people who use it, love it.

Last edited by Winder; 12-26-2016 at 02:06 PM.
12-26-2016, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please remember that Silkypix Developer is not the software packaged with many cameras. That is a limited set and does not work the way the actual program does. Most of the negative reviews of Silkypix confuse the packaged software with the commercially available software which is very powerful.
12-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the info..
12-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Please remember that Silkypix Developer is not the software packaged with many cameras. That is a limited set and does not work the way the actual program does. Most of the negative reviews of Silkypix confuse the packaged software with the commercially available software which is very powerful.
Good point.

The latest version Pro7 is available on free trial

12-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New RAW Processor

FYI, ON1 has just released their new RAW processor (ON1 Photo RAW 2017). It's available with a 30 day free trial. I tried it, but I think I'll stick with LightRoom and Photoshop. It doesn't currently deal with lens corrections and it just doesn't seem too intuitive with regard to finding where specific things exist. That being said, it looks like it could evolve into something useful if you are willing to take the time to learn it. It's also not too expensive and they have a deal ($20 off regular price) through 31 December.
02-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Silkypix is very powerful and if you want to spend an extensive amount of time learning it, then it is very good. It is also very slow and not very intuitive. I have downloaded the Studio Pro version and tried it many times, but its just not what I like. Lightroom is much easier and really very economical. There is a world of free educational information for Lightroom. Capture One is very good and I love the look of it. C1 has a steeper learning curve than LR, but people who use it, love it.
As I only do PP once in a while I am not keen on the subscription programs so I am just trying out SilkyPix Pro 7 and I noticed that it can be quite slow at loading images and it does not seem to like.tiff files otherwise it has some quite nice features,
02-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Since the subject has turned to RAW processors ... DxO Optics Pro is also a good RAW processor to consider for Mac/PC.

In many ways DxO is easier to use than Lightroom, since it lets you work without a catalogue, for example. The interface is simpler than Capture One too.

We are presently spoiled for choice, in truth, in terms of good RAW processors for Pentax. Do not let the hardly usable RAW processor that Pentax supplies with the camera lead you to believe that processing RAW images is something to be avoided at all costs.