Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
photoramone's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Flushing, Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 127
Silkypix, Anyone use/reccommend it?

Have mostly used photo editing that came with my Mac Desk-top, but it is very LIMITED in it's ability, as am I. Any tips on how to use, or even IF to use "SILKYPIX".. RJM

12-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,715
QuoteOriginally posted by photoramone Quote
Have mostly used photo editing that came with my Mac Desk-top, but it is very LIMITED in it's ability, as am I. Any tips on how to use, or even IF to use "SILKYPIX".. RJM
I find it hard to use, and try to stick with Lightroom, Photoshop and the free Nik plugins. Since Lightroom has an 'Edit in...' feature, I use that in case I need to edit a photo I used built-in HDR, or Pixel Shift and have to go to SilkyPix to work with those features...
12-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
photoramone's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Flushing, Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 127
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I find it hard to use, and try to stick with Lightroom, Photoshop and the free Nik plugins. Since Lightroom has an 'Edit in...' feature, I use that in case I need to edit a photo I used built-in HDR, or Pixel Shift and have to go to SilkyPix to work with those features...
Maybe I would just do better to be satisfied using that which is part of my MAC desk-top computer?? I might be hoping for too much to think I could twerk my pics a little better with some "Beyond-ME"program. I was just hoping for something simple, but capable. Thanks for your reply. RJM
12-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mississippi, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 584
I find it to be a good RAW converter for Pentax files but if you do a lot of editing it's best to have a Pixel Editor also.

12-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,261
I've never installed it - I use LightZone and Luminar on my Mac...
12-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 101
I tried Silkypix once. ONCE. (Johnny Dangerously reference)
12-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 101
I'm using it and like it on a pc. I can't comment on how it differs from anything Mac. The translations of the controls are a little unusual, but once I got past that I found it very user friendly. It offers both basic adjustments from drop down lists which you can preview by hovering over before clicking to apply and more advanced fine tuning with sliders and numerical fine increments, curves etc if you want that.

I believe it has built in corrections for lens distortion for specific Pentax lenses, and if you set in-camera adjustments for jpeg with digital era Pentax lenses, it can automatically apply them to the RAW file even if you only shoot RAW.

As far as I can tell it doesn't organize the pictures as such. I choose which pictures or folders I want to import. But I like that; I already have my organizational workflow and I don't need yet another program jumping in and importing every picture on my hard drive whether I asked it to or not. You can set it to show thumbnails, a filmstrip across the top or just the picture you're working on. Any folder you've worked on will be listed under file at the top and can be easily re-opened from there.

I only just started using it a couple of weeks ago and I haven't got it all figured out yet, but the more I use it the more goodies I find. I'm sorry now that I didn't try it sooner.
12-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Commack, NY
Posts: 109
QuoteOriginally posted by photoramone Quote
Have mostly used photo editing that came with my Mac Desk-top, but it is very LIMITED in it's ability, as am I. Any tips on how to use, or even IF to use "SILKYPIX".. RJM
I don't know what version of macOS you are using, but if it's Yosemite or later, you can configure Photos to select any image editor you've got on your Mac to edit any of the pictures you've collected. There is a Photos plug-in (costs $1.00 from the App Store) that will allow this. See: External Editors for Photos review: Every image editor is now an extension | Macworld for info. I use it and can select LightRoom, Photoshop, Graphic Converter or a host of others. When you save the image after editing, it puts it right back in Photos, so you don't need to worry about messing up whatever organization you've set up.

That being said, I generally prefer LightRoom or Photoshop, depending on what I'm trying to do.

12-24-2016, 12:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Haarlem Netherlands
Posts: 40
I am using Silkypix since version two and am a happy user of version 7 pro now. Don't mix these programs up with the Pentax supplied software which is different software with a very old Silkypix engine. Silkypix is a RAW editor and not a "photoshopper" which gives good focus on getting good "normal" results without getting into the effect pics you see on the internet (too) often.

I find it the most userfriendly RAW editor and I have used them all. Quality is good. In some cases one of the other give better results and in other cases Silkypix does. Most of them are quite good these days. So try some of them and make your pick. Lightroom has the advantage of having the largest userbase and therefore easiest support.

Very customisable userdesktop to be tailored exactly to your needs without having to go in workflow tabs, menu's, expandable functions etc. Extemely userfriendly compared with the rest.

I recommend it however I am aware I am one of a kind.

And BTW I am using Windows.

Last edited by KeesdH; 12-24-2016 at 12:28 AM. Reason: usefull extra info
12-24-2016, 02:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,431
Another vote for Silkypix here. I have used it for years and the latest version 7Pro is excellent. Bit of a steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it and save your regular settings as a preset, workflow is quick, and results outstanding.

As has been said, it is a raw converter, not a catalogue like PSE.

Use the free trial to see if you like it first.
12-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
photoramone's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Flushing, Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 127
Original Poster
All of the responses have been read and appreciated. Thanks to everyone for your input. I will need some formal training to do any more than just turning my computer on. RJM
12-24-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian
jddwoods's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 667
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
I don't know what version of macOS you are using, but if it's Yosemite or later, you can configure Photos to select any image editor you've got on your Mac to edit any of the pictures you've collected. There is a Photos plug-in (costs $1.00 from the App Store) that will allow this. See: External Editors for Photos review: Every image editor is now an extension | Macworld for info. I use it and can select LightRoom, Photoshop, Graphic Converter or a host of others. When you save the image after editing, it puts it right back in Photos, so you don't need to worry about messing up whatever organization you've set up.

That being said, I generally prefer LightRoom or Photoshop, depending on what I'm trying to do.
Thanks for providing this information. I have an i Mac and it was very disappointing when they changed from iPhoto/Aperture to the current iteration of Photos. I wanted Lightroom but it requires a lot of VRAM; 1GB to be specific. I polled this forum a few months ago and got several recommendations for a program; Affinity Photo. This is a $39 to $49 download from the App store. It is a very good editing tool and I am just learning it now. What I would like to do is utilize it as a plug in (extension) for Photos since I have all of my pictures filed there. I will definitely look into the plug in App and the article you provided. My iMac is a 2010 CORE I3 3.06 GHz system with 12 GB RAM, 256GB VRAM and 275 GB available space on the hard drive. I could not justify getting a new computer just for more VRAM. It is running Mac OS Sierra.

Last edited by jddwoods; 12-24-2016 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Additional Info
12-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 101
QuoteOriginally posted by photoramone Quote
All of the responses have been read and appreciated. Thanks to everyone for your input. I will need some formal training to do any more than just turning my computer on. RJM
I'd suggest creating another question with Mac in the subject line. Tell people which camera you have, what sort of subjects you shoot, whether you shoot RAW or jpeg and what sort of capabilities you'd like the software to have beyond what the Mac software offers.

There's a Mac version of Picasa (discontinued) still available on Filehippo. It's free, user friendly, non-destructive and will handle RAW. I don't know whether it would be different or better than what you have for your needs.

Clarification: There are different Silkypixes. The full paid pro version (7.0?) and the software disc (Developer Studio 3.0LE) that comes with the camera. My previous post was describing my experience with the latter.
12-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
photoramone's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Flushing, Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 127
Original Poster
I will take a look at that site. Thanks. Cameras: Pentax K-01, Pentax K-S2, Pentax K-5 & Pentax K-1. I also have a Nikon P-900 and a Canon Digital Elph Sd 940. And until now, I've done JUST jpeg. Shot some RAW with the K-1 while in South Africa first two weeks in December. That's why I'm looking to "kick-it-up-a-notch, with post processing. I love to shoot all kinds of stuff from flowers to horses, elephants to birds, and I really get some great stuff, If I do say so myself. It's a great hobby. Happy New Year. RJM
12-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #15
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,187
My opinion of Silkypix isn't good. My first experience was right after I first bought my K10D back in 2007. It was one of the worse software apps I have ever seen. Several years later, after buying a Lumix LF1 P&S with Raw capability, I used a Panasonic version for a few weeks until ACR and Lightroom got updated. My first reaction was that for the most part, the software had not changed a bit for the better.
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Thanks for providing this information. I have an i Mac and it was very disappointing when they changed from iPhoto/Aperture to the current iteration of Photos. I wanted Lightroom but it requires a lot of VRAM; 1GB to be specific. I polled this forum a few months ago and got several recommendations for a program; Affinity Photo. This is a $39 to $49 download from the App store. It is a very good editing tool and I am just learning it now. What I would like to do is utilize it as a plug in (extension) for Photos since I have all of my pictures filed there. I will definitely look into the plug in App and the article you provided. My iMac is a 2010 CORE I3 3.06 GHz system with 12 GB RAM, 256GB VRAM and 275 GB available space on the hard drive. I could not justify getting a new computer just for more VRAM. It is running Mac OS Sierra.
Lightroom will run just fine on your Mac mini. I run it on one. That spec is only for the hardware acceleration feature and only works with certain video cards anyhow. I'm also running Lightroom CC on an 8 year old home built Windows computer with an X3 Athlon with onboard Radeon graphics with shared video memory of 512MB which currently has 10GB of available hard drive space. Don't believe me? Download the free trial and find out first hand.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
photography, photoshop
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silkypix DS 6: anyone took advantage of recent special upgrade price? aleonx3 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 5 07-10-2015 04:34 PM
Anyone use Nik Software plugins? Use it with LR? PS? MrPetkus Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 16 05-27-2010 07:02 PM
Anyone use a Pentax LX for professional use ? lesmore49 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 26 04-14-2010 08:49 PM
If it's on Flickr... anyone can use it for anything! lapeen Photographic Technique 27 10-05-2007 12:47 AM
Qmemory? Anyone ever use or hear of it? skydragoness Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 01-04-2007 09:44 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top