Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DNG viewer/codec recommendation

I am in the process of setting things up on fresh installation of win 8.1

Last time i had I think Picasa viewer, which could see and open and view DNG files, I have noticed this time around without that installed that 8.1 natively can't thumbnail in explorer DNG files nor its default picture viewer can see them (its also a weird naff viewer which takes you to metro and away from the desktop mode).

So, I just thought I'd ask here, what people use to view DNG files, and do I just grab the adobe DNG codec and install that in win 8.1 for Explorer to see them (generate thumbnails etc)?

Cheers,

Bruce

01-08-2017, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Faststone Image Viewer (for more than just viewing!)

SageThumbs will add thumbnails to explorer (for MANY file types as well as DNG).

Both of the above are freewares.
01-08-2017, 02:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ta.

I do most of my editing in Lightroom, it's really about being able to browsr dngs quickly (one file to the next quickly to see which file I'd like to edit in LR). Will see how those programs fair. Cheers.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 01-08-2017 at 02:45 AM.
01-08-2017, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for Faststone as a DNG viewer; much quicker than the Adobe codec in WinEx. You can use it purely as a WinEx-type program for picture files, or also use it the back end for editing of TIFFs - it has some elegant tools. The clone tool for example works better than the one in Photoshop IMO.

01-08-2017, 03:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use irfanview. Which is pretty good
01-08-2017, 04:00 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I have noticed this time around without that installed that 8.1 natively can't thumbnail in explorer DNG files nor its default picture viewer can see them
That has been the general case for DNG in all versions of Windows for as long as I have been shooting DNG (2007).

So, I just thought I'd ask here, what people use to view DNG files, and do I just grab the adobe DNG codec and install that in win 8.1 for Explorer to see them (generate thumbnails etc)?
The Adobe codec is the route of least resistance. That being said, the suggestion of Faststone as a quick RAW browser, particularly for first-round culling, is a good one. I am puzzled that you apparently use Explorer rather than Lightroom's "Library" module for image management. The Library is one of Lightroom's key features. It took me a few years (yes, years...slow learner) to fully appreciate its features, but now with more than 20,000 images on my drives, I find it essential.

Steve
01-08-2017, 05:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would recommend against installing a coded or a dng viewer. DNG is raw data, and the viewers just represent some odd low-quality jpeg preview. It can cause a lot of confusion, because once you PP the raw in something like Lightroom or FastStone or SilkyPix or whatever you use, the photo will look very different.
Just use a software with cataloging, like Lightroom. It shows you better quality previews that actually look like the raw data and the PP you applied.

01-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I would recommend against installing a coded or a dng viewer. DNG is raw data, and the viewers just represent some odd low-quality jpeg preview. It can cause a lot of confusion, because once you PP the raw in something like Lightroom or FastStone or SilkyPix or whatever you use, the photo will look very different.
Just use a software with cataloging, like Lightroom. It shows you better quality previews that actually look like the raw data and the PP you applied.
Yes, that is a problem if you edit in a software program like Lightroom. Your edits stay in Lightroom so any viewing will just show you unedited DNG's straight from the camera.

But there is some value in having the Adobe codec installed. If you are ever moving and copying files and folders, doing backups, etc, it's convenient to be able to view the thumbnails of the DNG's to actually see which folders you are working with. While my Lightroom library is large, I have an awful lot of photos that aren't in it. Most are JPEG's but there are some DNG's in there as well.

The majority of my keepers get exported as JPEG's into albums which I have no problems viewing but there are times when having the Adobe codec comes in very handy. I have recently solved the problem with my own photos by switching to a Mac but my Windows 7 computer is still being used. All my photos are on external drives and it's handy to check what's in a certain folder without opening another app.
01-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That has been the general case for DNG in all versions of Windows for as long as I have been shooting DNG (2007).

The Adobe codec is the route of least resistance. That being said, the suggestion of Faststone as a quick RAW browser, particularly for first-round culling, is a good one. I am puzzled that you apparently use Explorer rather than Lightroom's "Library" module for image management. The Library is one of Lightroom's key features. It took me a few years (yes, years...slow learner) to fully appreciate its features, but now with more than 20,000 images on my drives, I find it essential.

Steve
Yes I read about DNG and windows and it seems as tho it's rarely been supported (oddly XP had it, but u had some registry tinkering to do).

I think up until now I've mainly avoided the catalog/library feature of LR due to weak computer/limited space. This reinstallation of win 8 comes with a new 500gb ssd and 6tb hdd So i might give the catalog/library feature another look in.

Really how i've been doing it is copying the DNGs from the pentax to the pc, then viewing thumbnails, viewing the spam I've shot, selecting the one I think has the most potentiall >right clicking it and open with Lightroom>edit>export as jpeg>flickr.

I just didn't want to have to wait for program to load just to see if there were pics worth even editing I guess...

I think I understand what you're saying, Previously with Picasa Picture Viewer the DNG file would load and then 'change' if you sat long enough looking at it, like it applied somekind of 'jpgness' to it (brighter, stronger contrast and saturation etc). Often doing this it was hard to tell if the RAW DNG file had potential or not because picasa added it's own interpretation of what it could or should look like (and gets it wrong time to time).

I tried Faststone viewer last night and I'm happy to say that already it looks to be doing a far better job than picasa in this regard, with the pics looking 'raw' (or how LR would accept them to begin with), so I think it'll be ok.

The question now is whether to continue with bad habits or start really using lightroom properly...
01-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
8.1 natively can't thumbnail
We've discussed this on the board before, but the Adobe codec is too slow for native browsing in the Windows File Explorer (which imo should be embarrassing for Adobe). I've used this codec pack for a couple years now and fme it gets the job very well on Win7 and Win8, and well enough (a little slower) on Win10.. It's free to try for two weeks so you might want to give it to go: FastPictureViewer Codec Pack: PSD, CR2, NEF, DNG RAW codecs (and more) for Windows 8.x Desktop, Windows 7, Windows Vista and XP

As suggested above, I also use Irfanview for first pass culling through my photos and it's great. I find I need to make some personal tweaks to its settings after first install, especially the setting to automatically move to the next image in the album after deletion...
01-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

DNG is raw data, and the viewers just represent some odd low-quality jpeg preview.
It depends on the DNG. Those from a Pentax dSLR contain a full resolution JPEG as well as thumbnail JPEGs and the better viewers will fetch those for display purposes. Comments regarding the image not being current to edits are quite valid and true for any program that uses non-destructive editing...another reason to use Lightroom's Library feature.

Steve
01-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
We've discussed this on the board before, but the Adobe codec is too slow for native browsing in the Windows File Explorer (which imo should be embarrassing for Adobe).
Thanks for bringing this up. I had forgotten that the reason I don't have the Adobe codec installed is because Explorer essentially hangs when working with the image directory tree.

Steve
01-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think up until now I've mainly avoided the catalog/library feature of LR due to weak computer/limited space. This reinstallation of win 8 comes with a new 500gb ssd and 6tb hdd
Good luck with the updated storage. The Lightroom catalog, even with preview images, is fairly "lightweight" from a storage perspective, but import of new images into LR can be slow on systems having a slow processor or inadequate memory.

Steve
01-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In linux:
There is a utility named like "raw-thumbnailer..."
In Fedora installed like this:
# dnf whatprovides raw-thumbnailer
# dnf install raw-thumbnailer-3.0.0-7.fc23.x86_64

The file manager invokes it.
To get it to work, open preferences in the file manager and set the option for the thumb size, and also increase the maximum size file that will have a thumb generated.
(In my case the file manager won't generate a thumb for files larger than 32 MB, so it does the Pentax dngs OK)
01-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm noticing now that faststoneimage viewer is slow to give me thumbnails in explorer, is there a way it can do it fast? I might just go back to picasa viewer, even tho it rendered the jpg of the dng file it was at least fast for showing thumbnails...

EDIT: I just noticed i have also installed the adobe dng codec 2.0, is that messing with things?