Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Adding 'Photography' to your watermark?

I notice a theme in all watermarks and that is the inclusion of the word 'Photography' in every single one I've seen. I've seen hundreds of watermarks. I've actually scoured the interwebs to look at the many designs (some are rather intricate too) of watermarks and it is a theme that does indeed seem widespread.

It doesn't matter if it is 'Joe Schmoe Photography' or 'Jane Doe Photography' or even 'Secret Squirrel Photography' they all include the word photography.

Now if your Photography company is based around a name such as 'Secret Squirrel' I can understand the addition of 'Photography' to the name as secret squirrel tells the viewer not much, even though it is in the watermark.

But with a person's name, isn't it implied that is their photo and thus the term 'Photography' is superfluous? I mean Joe Schmoe would be at the bottom of the image unless it is Joe Schmoes work right? Does Jane put Joe's name at the bottom of her photos? No, she puts her name at the bottom of her work because it's her work. Besides it is on a photo. So the viewer realizes it is photography. It isn't filmography. It is a single frame, a photograph. So is there really a reason to labeling with the term 'photography' in watermarks?

01-08-2017, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure the use of "photography" in a watermark is to indicate that the print is actually photography, but rather because that is the name of the photographer's company. At least that is the way I understand it. Of course nothing says it has to all be one way or the other, people being people........
01-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah I guess if the name of your taxable company has First Name, Last Name, 'Photography' then you'd want to include that.

It just came off as odd without considering that.. I don't see that in other visual artistry. Take painting. It usually has the painter's name and maybe a year/date. Never have I seen 'Joe Schmoe Painting.' Usually I see 'Joe Schmoe 1893' or, in the case of van Gogh, he just wrote 'Vincent' on his.

Recording artists aren't 'Joe Schmoe Music' or 'Joe Schmoe JazzWaveFunkHouse' in the credits. But credits would only include the name of the band and/or artists involved.

So maybe it really is just because of business naming. Thanks!
01-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I see it often enough to think that many of them would not actually be registered businesses. Have you checked if there are websites advertising business services in those names. Then the business name explanation holds.

01-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ah I guess if the name of your taxable company has First Name, Last Name, 'Photography' then you'd want to include that.

It just came off as odd without considering that.. I don't see that in other visual artistry. Take painting. It usually has the painter's name and maybe a year/date. Never have I seen 'Joe Schmoe Painting.' Usually I see 'Joe Schmoe 1893' or, in the case of van Gogh, he just wrote 'Vincent' on his.

Recording artists aren't 'Joe Schmoe Music' or 'Joe Schmoe JazzWaveFunkHouse' in the credits. But credits would only include the name of the band and/or artists involved.

I think the confusion is understandable, but you're comparing fine artists and people who are making music not with their photographic equivalents (fine art photographers) but photographers for-hire, such as portrait or wedding photographers.

People who make stock or royalty free music I think do tend to add some music related keyword to their business.
01-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In the case of recording artists, the word 'music' is often part of the publishing company's name, to which the rights are assigned.

01-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got curious so I checked the website for the art guild I belong to. It lists the websites of our members. The majority of those I looked at included their medium in their website name which should I assume also be their official company name.

Many use the word 'art' but I also see photography,beads,ceramics, glass, studio and so on. Mine is Zigzag Mountain Art

01-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I think the reason they watermark the photo and/or call their business, "Joe Schmoe Photography", is so you know that they are a photographer for hire, as opposed to someone who might just be a hobbyist and want people to know who did it.
01-08-2017, 10:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I recall the studios 100 years ago badges their work with words meaning photographer so nothing really new, a tradition.
01-09-2017, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

because it's phashionable...
01-09-2017, 03:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It also makes searching for the photographer a lot easier, particularly if they don't have a particularly unusual name. Adding 'Photography' to John Smith will narrow down the results a lot.
01-09-2017, 03:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Adding 'Photography' to John Smith will narrow down the results a lot.
Only 39.2 million results!
Attached Images

01-09-2017, 03:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Only 39.2 million results!
By searching like that, you are asking for results with those three words featured anywhere within the site, not necessarily in the same place.
If you put quotation marks around it, you ask for results with those three words together in a phrase. Only 10,000 or so then!
Which is better than the 63million with just John Smith...only a day or so's searching rather than a lifetime.

Save
Save
Save
01-09-2017, 03:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
By searching like that, you are asking for results with those three words featured anywhere within the site, not necessarily in the same place.
If you put quotation marks around it, you ask for results with those three words together in a phrase. Only 10,000 or so then!
Which is better than the 63million with just John Smith...only a day or so's searching rather than a lifetime.

Save
Save
Save
Yeah, I know! 10,700! LOL
01-09-2017, 05:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I notice a theme in all watermarks and that is the inclusion of the word 'Photography' in every single one I've seen. I've seen hundreds of watermarks. I've actually scoured the interwebs to look at the many designs (some are rather intricate too) of watermarks and it is a theme that does indeed seem widespread.

It doesn't matter if it is 'Joe Schmoe Photography' or 'Jane Doe Photography' or even 'Secret Squirrel Photography' they all include the word photography.

Now if your Photography company is based around a name such as 'Secret Squirrel' I can understand the addition of 'Photography' to the name as secret squirrel tells the viewer not much, even though it is in the watermark.

But with a person's name, isn't it implied that is their photo and thus the term 'Photography' is superfluous? I mean Joe Schmoe would be at the bottom of the image unless it is Joe Schmoes work right? Does Jane put Joe's name at the bottom of her photos? No, she puts her name at the bottom of her work because it's her work. Besides it is on a photo. So the viewer realizes it is photography. It isn't filmography. It is a single frame, a photograph. So is there really a reason to labeling with the term 'photography' in watermarks?
Anyone who is has an online presence will want to include the word "Photography" in the business name and that transfers to the watermark. SEO is very important.