Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2017, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I thought it was the other way round?
Not necessarily. Mac people can be very open-minded out of necessity--kind of like being left-handed in a right-handed world, which I am, in addition to being a Mac person. I use a Windoze machine at work and I own an ancient Dell Vostro laptop (I don't remember the model number and don't feel like getting up to look) at home that I hardly ever use. I bought the thing five years ago when my beloved titanium Powerbook became too antiquated to use anymore. I had it as my primary computer for about two months, couldn't stand it and went to a 17-inch MacBook Pro (final iteration of that model) instead. It's still going strong and I will continue to use it until it completely gives up the ghost.

01-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My daughter swears by her (very pretty) Apple. The software I use for work (AutoDesk AutoCAD Architecture) only became Mac operating system compatible last year. For me therefore, an operating system change after more than 20 years of Windoze is not gonna happen! My biggest frustration is how Windows Phone cannot run many of the apps developed for Android and iPhone.
01-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by English-Photographer Quote
I have the P50 and have been really impressed with it. 32gb ram and an SD slot over any macbook 'pro'. The screen is pretty bad but everything else is perfect.
hm, this is pretty much the situation i am in. A nice & pretty powerful Asus laptop (albeit too heavy) with a less than adequate TN panel.. Just impossible to do any color work on it, no matter the specs.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
PC people are brainwashed from birth not to buy Macs.
I am trying to not be prejudiced about them. But the price is really steep. At least, right now, i am lingering between either a 13inch mbp because of the nice panel (my budget is really no more than 2k..) or a 14, 15" smallish windows laptop.. A bit worried though about whether 13 inch won't be too small for lightroom, although the LR panels can hide very conveniently.

Maybe even a 2015 mbp might find its way.. Quite a lot available secondhand these days..
01-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by English-Photographer Quote
I have the P50 and have been really impressed with it. 32gb ram and an SD slot over any macbook 'pro'. The screen is pretty bad but everything else is perfect.
The screen is kinda a big deal when you're editing photos. What do you use 32gb of ram for anyway?

01-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I thought it was the other way round?
And I'm sure as a Windows user, you do think it's the other way around.
01-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I'm sure as a Windows user, you do think it's the other way around.
Knowing many school teachers here (who all have an unhealthy obsession with Mac.... ) I'm not sure I concur Norm!
01-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Knowing many school teachers here (who all have an unhealthy obsession with Mac.... ) I'm not sure I concur Norm!
Again, just who has the obsession is open to question. I know a lot of IT guys who's jobs depended on their companies staying with Windows.

It wasn't an obsession for the IT guys, it was an economic reality. It's the people they enticed into their evil web of lies who have the obsession.

01-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Again, just who has the obsession is open to question. I know a lot of IT guys who's jobs depended on their companies staying with Windows.
You're no doubt right. I think, from a design perspective, that the Mac products are beautifully made. I'm just too old to learn a new operating system! (The old 'if it aint broke...') To which many will, no doubt respond that Windoze is broken. But hey, so long as my AutoCAD works, I'm happy.
01-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been toyingit is time to replace my elderly Lenovo T410i; I've been a DOS/Win user since the 80's but last night I used my wife's MVP - literally my first use of a macOS machine ever.

Given that my laptop functions as a desktop, with an external monitor, keyboard and drive I'll likely end up with an iMac. They're that prohibitively more expensive than comparable Windows machines. My real concern is refreshing all my apps and transferring files.
01-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've been toyingit is time to replace my elderly Lenovo T410i; I've been a DOS/Win user since the 80's but last night I used my wife's MVP - literally my first use of a macOS machine ever.

Given that my laptop functions as a desktop, with an external monitor, keyboard and drive I'll likely end up with an iMac. They're that prohibitively more expensive than comparable Windows machines. My real concern is refreshing all my apps and transferring files.
Being serious, as Mark pointed out, if you are comfortable on Windows, it's a race if you switch, there are differences that at first drive you crazy. DO you go crazy before you get comfortable on a Mac and end up selling it and getting another Windows machine? Do you switch and decide you just don't like it as much even if you're comfortable on the Mac? Or you like it. Two of the three possibilities are bad. I'm not sure it's worth your while to switch. I have to admit, my step son works in IT for the Ontario Government, anything he orders us gets us a 25% discount. That goes a long way towards evening out the price difference, a price difference that goes largely straight into Apple's high profit margin.Which as far as I can tell amounts to make a 10% meter product and charge 25% more for it. But I still can't afford the only Mac that would probably make me happy right now. That others would prefer to work with a PC doesn't surprise me at all. They definitely have their advantages.

And with their airtight control of consumer pricing, and selling refurbs up to two years old, they seem to be able to control prices in both the new and second hand markets. You never walk out of the store feeling you got a great deal on a Mac.

Last edited by normhead; 01-20-2017 at 08:23 PM.
01-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To be honest Norm, I'm at a point in life where I want to sit down, light it up, use it and walk away without thinking about the machine. I've been tweaking boot routines for 30 years and I'm ready for a change.
01-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #42
Pentaxian

To be honest Norm, I'm at a point in life where I want to sit down, light it up, use it and walk away without thinking about the machine. I've been tweaking boot routines for 30 years and I'm ready for a change.
If you do decide to switch, hopefully, you''l be one of the guys who ends up happy with their choice. After time coding 6502s, and trying to keep a Windows graphics lab running for a few years, I was ready for "the easy road". But being retired, I wonder how I'll afford my next one, when this one dies. Nt that any of mine have actually died. My 6100 did die, after 16 years and being reduced to being used as a word processor by the poor community college student I gave it to.

It lived that long even after I overclocked it from 60 to 80 mhz, making it one of the fastest PCs on the planet for a year or two..
After a while I just got tired of it all. It was a great hobby....
01-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't like the keyboards.
01-21-2017, 06:11 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I don't like the keyboards.
You can use pretty much any keyboard you want.

These days Macs are Windows hardware with a different OS.
01-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can use pretty much any keyboard you want.

These days Macs are Windows hardware with a different OS.
Hah Hah - I get that. I was just commenting..The IBM AT keyboard is still the best keyboard ever made. You just can't plug them in to anything any more.

I need photo editing, standard word/sheet/slide tools, mail handling, tax and budget software and that's really it. I'll probably be happy with the interface.