Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Dell launches Surface Studio-like graphics tablet and a $4,999 8K screen

Dell launches Surface Studio-like graphics tablet and a $4,999 8K screen - DIY Photography

01-09-2017, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

That screen has more resolution than my camera!
01-09-2017, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That screen has more resolution than my camera!
That screen has more resolution than my eyes!
01-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow ! Quite a beast this is !

Now, can someone explain this thing about a screen "having more resolution than a camera" ?
For instance, if one has a K1 used with a D FA 24-70 or a D FA* 70-200 and viewing his/her pictures on an 8K screen, how does this work in terms of "outresolving" ...
And what are the "consequences" ?

01-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

Now, can someone explain this thing about a screen "having more resolution than a camera" ?
For instance, if one has a K1 used with a D FA 24-70 or a D FA* 70-200 and viewing his/her pictures on an 8K screen, how does this work in terms of "outresolving" ...
I think it was a joke. I hope it was a joke. Whenever people talk about some tech "outresolving" another piece of technology, my head starts to hurt. In any case, 8K is a fraction of 36MP on a 35mm sensor.
01-09-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dell is trying to challenge Wacom...good luck with that Dell.
01-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

That screen is 7680×4320 (33 MPix). it would not "out resolve" a K-1 or 645Z but it would do so for lower-resolution cameras.

A K-3 image at a pixel-peeping 100% would NOT even fill the screen and there's actually room for two portrait-orientation K-50 images side by side at 100%.

That said, the 280 dpi pixel pitch of that screen means most people would have a hard time seeing pixel-level detail -- it out resolves their eyes.

01-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It would probably out resolve my eyes as I have difficulty seeing any difference between 1920 x 1080 and 4K. More importantly, it out resolves my wallet.

As impressive as this is, I think it would be terribly uncomfortable working on a tablet that size. It reminds me of those V8 powered Boss Hoss motorcycles you see on display at rallys and shows. Everybody gathers around and says "WOW!" but you never see one out on the road.
01-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I think it was a joke. I hope it was a joke. Whenever people talk about some tech "outresolving" another piece of technology, my head starts to hurt. In any case, 8K is a fraction of 36MP on a 35mm sensor.
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
That screen is 7680×4320 (33 MPix). it would not "out resolve" a K-1 or 645Z but it would do so for lower-resolution cameras.

A K-3 image at a pixel-peeping 100% would NOT even fill the screen and there's actually room for two portrait-orientation K-50 images side by side at 100%.

That said, the 280 dpi pixel pitch of that screen means most people would have a hard time seeing pixel-level detail -- it out resolves their eyes.
Thanks for the info, folks !
01-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
With no real competition, Wacom has been serving up way too much half-baked garbage for years. At the very least, the aggressively priced Dell should push Wacom to either offer its products at more reasonable prices or improve their QC to justify the higher price point.
Yup. Competition is good. That's why I keep hoping for a credible competitor to Adobe's Creative Cloud.
01-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #11

Try Affinity Photo. I've been very impressed
01-12-2017, 05:47 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Competition is good. That's why I keep hoping for a credible competitor to Adobe's Creative Cloud.
I agree, especially regarding adobe cloud "services". Photographic editing isn't a "service" it is an increasingly essential tool with digital photography along with DAM.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
With no real competition, Wacom has been serving up way too much half-baked garbage for years.
I would say using the phrase Half-baked garbage is a bit hyperbolic regarding Wacoms product lines*, I'll admit the loss of the OLED displays next to the control buttons on the Intuos4 line is a feature that will be missed. The Cintiq Interactive displays I use at work are perfectly suited to image editing, though I wish they would make bigger models than the 27" and branched out into 16:10 or square display formats. The touch control ability is of little use to me, I prefer to use a stylus.

*for the sake of disclosure, I'm not supported by wacom, neither are the studios that I work at. Wacom products just happen to be really common tools in the commercial photographic industry.
01-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Tess' current iMac is approximately 220 dpi. on an 18.5 x10.5 (21.5) inch screen.

My old guy a 23x17 (27) inch is 111 DPI. . At 220 dpi even out of focus images can look sharp. My guess is it's a serious disadvantage for editing and evaluation, just based on our experience. This is a perfect example of pushing tech specs past the point where they are meaningful to your workflow.

Sitting 8 feet away and watching our pictures go by as a slideshow on the desktop... the old 111 dpi computer is the way to go. But, where can I buy one of those?
01-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But, where can I buy one of those?
Second hand store...
01-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

My phone (Samsung Galaxy S7E) is an eye-watering 534 PPI and I love it. Some might say that it's overkill but you can still see the pixels when using GearVR.

And the ability to see multiple images at 100% would be quite nice.

QuoteOriginally posted by English-Photographer Quote
Try Affinity Photo. I've been very impressed
Thanks, I'll look.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I agree, especially regarding adobe cloud "services". Photographic editing isn't a "service" it is an increasingly essential tool with digital photography along with DAM.
Yes, DAM gets more and more important as my catalogs grow. Lightroom remains my go-to and luckily, it seems the most modern of all the CC apps.