Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Anyone use Linux?

I am playing with Ubuntu and wondered if anyone else uses Linux.

Looking for options to download and label from a SD card and handle RAW files.

06-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I, as well as several others here, are Linux-heads. I am on openSuSE though there are others using various builds of ubuntu.
I didn't install anything special at all for my SD readers or the K10D itself. Linux picked them up as removable drives and away I go.
06-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #3

have you tried Towards RawTherapee v2.4 - The First Milestone, it gets quite good results
it doesn't have all the nice labelling that something like lightroom has though
i'd just use a spreadsheet for something like that

dave
06-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dtra Quote
have you tried Towards RawTherapee v2.4 - The First Milestone, it gets quite good results
it doesn't have all the nice labelling that something like lightroom has though
i'd just use a spreadsheet for something like that

dave
If you are looking for database driven photo organisation, archiving, etc then DigiKam is about as good as I've found on Fedora. It doesn't seem very extendable though since I can't seem to find out how to integrate RT. The Gimp works nicely as a very basic photo editor but AFAIK still doesn't support color space profiles. CinePaint _does_ but it's way basic in comparison now... focusing, as it does, on movie editing.

06-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
It looks like that software needs KDE.
I am running Ubuntu with gnome... so I guess I cannot install it?
06-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone using Linux?

QuoteOriginally posted by theedudenator Quote
I am playing with Ubuntu and wondered if anyone else uses Linux.

Looking for options to download and label from a SD card and handle RAW files.
You bet. Ubuntu for four years and on Hardy now.

To get the photos off my SD card, I just pop the card out of the camera and plunk it in a USB card reader. Way faster than using a USB cable. Others prefer the cable so to each their own.

Once you have the photos on your puter, may I suggest you start by downloading Geeqie? This is a fork of the venerable GQview tuned for digital photography. It is blazing fast. I use it to do a first run through my PEFs, tossing the bad ones. Then I open them in my RAW converter.

I don't think Geeqie is in the Ubuntu repositories yet so you will have to go to the project page to download and the code and then compile it:

Geeqie Image Viewer

I am using Raw Therapee 2.4m1 now for my RAW conversion and 95% of my post-processing. I have used UFRAW and Lightzone but nothing can touch the results of Raw Therapee. Gabor's demosaicing algorithm is simply the best. Some people balk at its interface but I find it useable and my bottom line is quality, not ease of use. RT is not open source because the source code is not available but it is "donateware" so the author leaves it to you to pay if you wish.

Towards RawTherapee v2.4 - The First Milestone

There are many other options for conversion/post-processing. Many swear by Digikam. Even though it is a KDE app you can still install and run it perfectly well on Gnome. Installing it will pull in all the other libraries needed to run it.

sudo apt-get install digikam

I used UFRAW and the GIMP in the past with great results.

sudo apt-get install ufraw gimp-ufraw

Not sure what you mean by label. If you mean saving with your own filename then any of the GUI apps will allow this.

You have the most control of your photos with *nix platforms. Try out some of the many options out there. We are here if you have other questions.

Jack
06-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This looks like a thread that is just right for the software/pp forum. Moderators?

06-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Getting files from the SD card - my laptop has a built-in SD reader so good old 'mount' and 'mv' are how I do it.

RAW conversion - ufraw! Note that the latest released version of ufraw doesn't support the K20D. There's support for the 20 in ufraw's CVS tree though, but that's bleeding edge (it works for me though)

Browsing - digikam
Editing - GIMP, cinepaint is a crashfest for me
06-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Running Ubuntu here too.. UFRAW and GIMP - That's all you need to open PEF or DNG and edit until the cows come home and export in any number of formats.. Very nice setup.
06-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

What the others said. Running Kubuntu on my main desktop and Xubuntu on my file server.
06-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm running PCLinuxOS on my desktop and the wife's laptop. Of course, on my Eeepc, I'm running Xandros. However, I just can't divorce myself totally from Photoshop, Premiere, et.al. (under XP, no way on this good green earth will I ever go to Vista. Take that, Bill Gates.)
06-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

For any Linux/Unix folks who are also forced to use Windoze in their daily routine because you're application-straightjacketed (like me,) consider installing Cygwin on the Windows box - it gives you a remarkable Posix-like environment where you have a full bash shell, Xwindows (including -multiwindow startup option so you can have the windows desktop manage the individual Xterms,) Apache, sshd, ftpd, ksh/perl/ruby/python, etc, etc, etc...

I've written perl scripts to manage a lot of my Windows folders - perl with 'exiftool' can make nice ad-hoc reports about lens usage, link all shots taken by the same lens into lens-specific folders with one command, etc. Very powerful and fun. Do Cygwin.

06-13-2008, 02:01 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Mandriva 2008.1 over here running on an eeepc (great lightweight, unexpensive tool for those who like to travel) .

My only problem is that at the moment ufraw/dcraw seem to be unable to read correctly the wb balance of the k20d .pef files, so the colors are whhhaaaay off. Did anybody manage to make it work correctly? At the moment i have toi run irfanview under wine for wieving and converting my pefs.

Is there any other lightweight solution for converting and doing basic adjustments that would work with the k20d files?
06-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I use Bibble for my K20D raw files. Only occasionally i may play with a file in gimp after that.
It's a 32bit app, but runs fine under Kubuntu64. I like that it's threaded and uses my cores.
Bibble 5 (sometime this fall i hope) will give it some interesting updates. Bibble 4 is the best program i ever bought, efficient workflow with it, great pugins available for it.
Try it, you may get hooked though.

bogdanb: Just update your dcraw they are all based on, recompile your app and the files are read correctly, i used those up until Bibble updated and got K20D/K200D support.
06-14-2008, 04:50 AM   #15
oRs

Digikam under Gnome

There is no problem to use Digikam under Gnome. Just install it, and synaptic will also install a part of the KDE libs. You won't see it, if won't disturb you.

Digikam is a real nice, powerful software. I use it with RawTherapee, and sometimes The Gimp. The whole runs under Ubuntu/Gnome.