Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2017, 03:17 AM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

APS-C crops from full frame image in post-processing?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Is there a software tool that will produce an APS-C crop of a full frame photo, preferably from RAW but if not then from TIF or JPEG?

I realise I could shoot in crop mode, or - for existing images - crop manually in Lightroom, but that's a manual, laborious task (unless I'm missing something!).

Thanks in advance

01-22-2017, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

What do you mean? An automatic tool which will cut out the center part of a picture?
I don't think that there will be a tool to crop a raw. but for most of the other picture formats irfanview should fit. (via file / batch mode)

An the next which APS-C crop 1:1.2, 1:1.5, 1:1.6, square

I would take KB format and select the maximum of the picture that looks good, not a special crop format, even square is a possible crop
01-22-2017, 04:04 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the response I should have been more specific...

I'm looking to take 3:2 aspect ratio APS-C-sized centre crops from 3:2 aspect ratio full-format images.

The purpose for this is so I can visually review (and eventually document) the impact of certain lens properties when used for full-frame vs APS-C images - vignetting, general border and corner sharpness, so-called "swirly bokeh" etc. The approach I'd like to use is to take the photos as full-frame images, then use a tool to crop the centre section in APS-C format. If the tool can also produce m43 crops too, that would be even better... but just APS-C is fine for now.
01-22-2017, 04:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

1. You can put your once manually defined cropping in LR into a preset, so with one click you can croppy thousands of images at once.
  2. You can simply use an overlay on LR that displays the crop frame in LR. You just need to create a PNG file with the overlay image. I suggest you read all posts here: Superimposing K-1 viewfinder details and/or AF points: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review with an explanation and ready made image files. That should provide all you need.

01-22-2017, 04:25 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the response.

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
[LIST=1][*]You can put your once manually defined cropping in LR into a preset, so with one click you can croppy thousands of images at once.
OK... further to that, is there any way I can see the crop width, height and offset to ensure I get an APS-C sized crop that is dead centre?

[LIST=1][*]You can simply use an overlay on LR that displays the crop frame in LR. You just need to create a PNG file with the overlay image. I suggest you read all posts here: Superimposing K-1 viewfinder details and/or AF points: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review with an explanation and ready made image files. That should provide all you need.
Again, I should have been more specific. My full-frame gear is Sony with 24Mp sensors... only my APS-C gear is Pentax However, I'll take a look at that thread. The idea will be the same - I just need to create a PNG file with the APS-C frame showing, right?
01-22-2017, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
OK... further to that, is there any way I can see the crop width, height and offset to ensure I get an APS-C sized crop that is dead centre?
Cropping is doing it. Once you make sure you have cropped correctly that is that. You do the cropping and save it as preset.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Again, I should have been more specific. My full-frame gear is Sony with 24Mp sensors... only my APS-C gear is Pentax However, I'll take a look at that thread. The idea will be the same - I just need to create a PNG file with the APS-C frame showing, right?

The overlay does not care of you use a barbiecam . It just displays information on top of your image. As long as your barbiecam is 3:2 format you will see the x1,5 crop of it outlined on top of it.
The file you get from that thread does inlcude a psd file with overlay, which you can easily turn into PNG. The PNG does not need to be the same resolution as any other image as you can scale it manually.
Once you tried it you'll understand.
01-22-2017, 05:04 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The overlay does not care of you use a barbiecam
LOL Thanks for the information and the link - great stuff.

Now, where did I leave my Barbiecam?

01-22-2017, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Oh no! You lost it?

Get one new here: Polaroid Barbie CAM Instant Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Actually there is a more boring newer version here: Barbie Cam Review - The Overrated Photographer
01-22-2017, 05:33 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually there is a more boring newer version here: Barbie Cam Review - The Overrated Photographer
That's an informative review... I'm off to buy that latest version right now.
01-22-2017, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want a free software that can do it quickly, it would be a quick script in python.
e.g. Crop Images with PIL/Pillow
01-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
You can batch crop from the command line with ImageMAgick as wel, using the crop or shave commands:

Cutting and Bordering -- IM v6 Examples

It can definitely read DNGs, but I'm not sure whetehr it can outpout back to DNG (Tiff for sure).
Thanks, Brian - that does exactly what I need!
01-22-2017, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The crop tool in Faststone automatically centres the crop, all you have to do is specify the dimensions. Once you've done one you can just click "save as" and you automatically jump to the next pic with the same settings. Or you can batch process.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 01-22-2017 at 10:22 AM.
01-22-2017, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the crop feature of the Lightroom Quick Develop panel. The nice thing is that it can be applied to virtual copies as a batch process and is non-destructive.

Steve
01-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I use the crop feature of the Lightroom Quick Develop panel. The nice thing is that it can be applied to virtual copies as a batch process and is non-destructive.
Steve - is there any way to centre the crop and get the dimensions exactly right using that method?
01-22-2017, 10:26 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
The crop tool in Faststone automatically centres the crop, all you have to do is specify the dimensions. Once you've done one you can just click "save as" and you automatically jump to the next pic with the same settings. Or you can batch process.
Thanks, Marcus - I'll take a look at this too