Do not want! Hahahah!

01-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #32
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Check out this page on the Phoronix test site to see what opencl acceleration can do for darktable:

20-Way NVIDIA/AMD GPU Darktable OpenCL Photography Performance - Phoronix
Thanks for the link!

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Your GTX 1070 will be a screamer.
I am hoping so. Should be getting this machine running today, get the BIOS configured, load the OS, and start loading and configuring software.

Gonna be a long day . . . . . .
01-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #33
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Go to root folder...
sudo rm -rf *
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Do not want! Hahahah!
And what does that command do? Something bad I suppose.
01-25-2017, 10:22 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's no place like ~/

01-25-2017, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Give it a try...

Don't actually...

It basically deletes everything on the drive.
01-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #36
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There's no place like ~/
Home?
01-25-2017, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Home?
Well, yes. In a Bash prompt looks like <Computer Name>:<working directory> <user name>$

So to get back home you just type cd ~/

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 1.38.54 PM.png
Views: 269
Size:  33.2 KB

01-25-2017, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

It's has been used to trick Linux n00bs into wiping out their hard drive. I know it's wrong, but I have laughed a few times when some Linux n00b starts to get annoying & keeps asking too many simple questions like "how can I copy this" or "how can I move that", answers that can easily be found on Google & then some Linux user tells them to run that command when the Linux n00b asks another question. Then they eventually come back & complain about. Hahaha!
01-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #39
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's has been used to trick Linux n00bs into wiping out their hard drive. I know it's wrong, but I have laughed a few times when some Linux n00b starts to get annoying & keeps asking too many simple questions like "how can I copy this" or "how can I move that", answers that can easily be found on Google & then some Linux user tells them to run that command when the Linux n00b asks another question. Then they eventually come back & complain about. Hahaha!
Sounds like an Askhole.
01-25-2017, 07:01 PM   #40
PDL
Pentaxian

You laugh - but....

Do not want! Hahahah!
While I was working at a Corporation with global reach we had a set of disks that failed (head crash(s)) on one of our production SAP SUN systems. The Unix team spent hours getting new hardware installed and configured and a full system restore going. The restore took almost 8 wall clock hours due to the P^3 (aka. pcubed ---P*ss Poor Programming) backup software we were using.

When they got everything set back up - the ran their daily maintenance scripts --- except that they forgot to rebuild one of the temp folders that they were writing logs and scratch file stuff too. So... when the maintenance ran, of course since they were in a hurry to get things back on line so they logged on as root, when they were at the root of the system drive - one of the commands at the bottom was the infamous "rm -rf * ". The script erased the system drive.. It took another five or six hours to "figure out what happened", "fix it" and figure out what script ran and why it did what it did.

Take away. Document your work and put it somewhere so when a system fails you can get to it. Reduce the number of Admins (root/Administrator accounts) to the minimum that the business needs. Set up your corporate systems so DBA's, programmers, SAP analysts etc. do NOT have root/Administrator access. That is why you have System Administrators -- it's what we do. Oh- and don't let noobs admin global corporation systems and give out honest advice rather than giving advice that can lead to disaster. Remember, don't be a Richard. (aka. the common nick name)
01-26-2017, 01:42 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Many years ago when I was young and innocent I was working on a Silicon Graphics machine compiling a piece of software. I needed to delete the 'lib' directory but somehow my fingers though it appropriate to put a '/' in front of lib. So I deleted a whole raft of system libraries rendering the machine completely inoperable. "Thankfully we have tape backups" I thought and managed to reinstall IRIX to a later version only to find incompatibilities with the updated back system. I can remember the constant panic over a couple of days trying to recover the backup wondering what the consequences would be if I didn't get it done. Thankfully in the end I did, but it taught me a lesson. When I use 'rm -rf' nowadays I tend to do an 'ls' on the command line, make sure I'm working in the right place then edit the previous command to change 'ls' to 'rm'. That way I'm less likely to issue a serious random typo again.

[edit] yes I was working as root, the big mistake that allowed it all to happen in the first place.
01-26-2017, 01:48 AM   #42
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well this build has hit a roadblock. After weeks of research and planning, a week or more waiting for all the components to trickle their way to Paradise by the River via Brown Truck, Yellow Van, FedWrex and my Uncle's Package Service, and another week getting it all together and pouring over the BIOS information I was ready to start it up this morning.

I got up, made coffee, and sat down.

One last check of all the cables. Make sure the memory and video cards are seated. Final glance at the manual.

Flip the master switch from O to -.

Push the button.

A couple LEDs on the board light up.

The CPU fan begins to turn.

Then it stops.

Silence.

Wait a minute. There should be noise. Fans turning. System beeps from the POST. The smell of electronic circuits getting hot for the first time.

All that stuff.

Nope.

Immediately the past few week's events raced through my head. The unpacking and examination of each component as it arrived. The cataloging of everything. The assembly process, slow and deliberate (remember, I'm recuperating from major foot surgery, and, well, you know), taking my time to ensure I get it all right.

Every step is still fresh in my memory.

OK.

This isn't my first rodeo Trigger.

I start the process of sussing it out. All day I am checking everything. Then testing. Check the connections. Check component web pages, pouring over dozens of support documents. Register at several forums and post questions. Check back every 20 minutes for replies.

Finally found the problem.

The power supply is DOA.

But wait. It gets better. The darned thing is discontinued and replacement is subject to stock on hand. The seller says mid to late March, maybe.

Huh?

Maybe I can find one locally, although living in the sticks makes that an all day sucker. The nearest sources are 35 miles or more.

One way.

And I am using crutches.

Been a long day. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
01-26-2017, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Bummer. I know that feeling of disappointment. Maybe try and exchange for an equivalent spec current replacement from the supplier and curb your impatience for a couple of days. In the long run it'll be sensible.
I know the excitement of wanting to get a new machine up and running though
01-26-2017, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch. At least this will allow you to think about upping the wattage of your PS.
01-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #45
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The drive yesterday was better than anticipated. I found a 750 watt version of the same make and model power supply. Stopped at the credit union to drop off a couple checks, gassed up the Subie Wagon, and made my way back over the river and through the woods to Paradise by the River.

Swapped everything out, got another cup of coffee, and restarted the process. I was delighted to see the system come to life. It is always an adrenaline rush for a while after a first run of a machine. I've built a half dozen or so over the years, and it is always like that.

I get the same thing with other builds. Engines. Transmissions. Differentials. Starting up anything mechanical after having had it in pieces is exhilarating.

Of course there was the usual stumbling along with the minor details. The Windows 7 Pro (I know, here I am asking about Linux and I'm installing WinBlows - hey, it was the original plan before I was stricken with thoughts of going Linux again - I'll get there, trust me) install disk has the key on a sticker, with a patch of stuff you rub off with a coin. A corner got buggered up and I had to guess at one character. No problem, only 36 options. Got it on the third try.

Next up, the install program thinks it needs device drivers for the DVD drive.

Huh?

That stuff isn't needed these days.

Oh, wait.

This is MicroSoft.

The disc has hidden WinBlows 10 install crap on it. Watch out Racer, they are out to get you.

Finally, after hours of web searching, and trying to create a bootable ISO image on a USB drive, the install decided the DVD drive was OK. I must have flipped the right switch in the BIOS that last time through that little neighborhood.

By the way, it has been about 8 years since I built one of these things. The BIOS has come a "long way", and supports the mouse cursor. Um, OK. Kinda clunky. I still prefer sticking strictly to the keyboard and F keys. Much faster once you become familiar with the layout of the BIOS.

Once the install software was happy things moved along fairly quick. A small hangup with too new a version of the MicroSoft Mouse software kept me from getting the trackball set up right. Now that I have the install and general configuration done I need to get the RAID thing set up. Never done one of these before so some reading is in order. Wanna get it right so it can do what it should.

Then it will be time to make a backup and start installing software.

One thing that I find odd though. So far the only software has been the OS. The drive is a terabyte in size. It is already at almost 20% disc usage already. Seems like a lot.

How much disc space would a Linux OS comparable to Windows 7 Pro use?