Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Printing inks

May be in the wrong spot but I can't find a suitable forum. Looking at ink for the Canon Pixma-pro 100 and thinking about compatible inks. In particular anyone tried a company called 'My Printer Shop'. I want inks that make as good prints as Canon but not looking for archive quality, at present I only print for my own pleasure and I will take it down and reprint or replace it if it starts to look tired or just have something better. So if canon inks are twice the price because they last 50 year I will save the money but if cheap cartridges fail more often or give poor prints I will stick with Canon. Any experiences, recommendations or warning.

01-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the correct forum. Digital processing, software and printing forum.
01-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am using ink from G&G for few years for my Canon Pro9000 MK II. I have not see the difference in printing
01-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't tried these yet.

Precision Colors C5B

They are highly praised by most.

Note that the YELLOW ink is not compatible to mix with the original yellow ink so they supply a blank cartridge to replace that one. One you start refilling you keep using the replacement one. The other inks are refilled in the original cartridges.

01-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take a look at Precision Colors inks. Their inks are compatible with Canon inks except for the yellow. Everything is fully explained on their web site -- precisioncolors.com.
01-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would say if you have a colorimeter (xrite etc) build a profile for your printer even if you use original inks every printer varies, doing a custom profile for each paper you use guarantees good results
01-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
^ What Eddie said. Correct profiling is a good way of controlling printing variables. If you work with an un-calibrated setup be prepared for a lot of expensive trial and error experimentation.

01-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using Precision Color inks for proofing on the Pro-100 for the past two years. The color match is excellent. They even provide quite a few paper profiles. These are dye-based inks and don't have any of the permanence (for dye) that the Canon inks do. PC's owner Mike has never claimed any when asked. I have several unframed refrigerator prints that are badly faded after 8 months of indirect lighting exposure. I use them for proofing and testing new papers.

As long as your expectations are aligned, the PC inks are a good deal. Aardenberg is currently testing PC inks for longevity. I would expect initial results by year's end.

M
01-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Aardenberg is currently testing PC inks for longevity. I would expect initial results by year's end.
Wilhelm imaging research is also a trustworthy source for information regarding Inkjet print longevity.