Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone using an iPad pro for on site editing?

Most of what I've seen is of illustration guys.... although there is this guy.

I found this guy but he works with Adobe product.
A Pro Photographer's RAW Workflow in Lightroom Mobile

I like the idea of something I can take into the bush for a couple weeks for some basic selection and editing. I'm not convinced this is it.

01-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Most of what I've seen is of illustration guys.... although there is this guy.

I found this guy but he works with Adobe product.

A Pro Photographer's RAW Workflow in Lightroom Mobile

I like the idea of something I can take into the bush for a couple weeks for some basic selection and editing. I'm not convinced this is it.

I use lightroom mobile for quick edits on he go and it's quite versatile. I'm not sure if there is an alternative to Adobe as an editing program that is any good on the iPad (pro)
01-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Are you using it integrated with Lightroom on a computer? I have no problem with using Adobe software, I have a big problem with giving them money.

Some seems to say I could ue the free Adobe app on the pro, and then use other software (probably Pixelmator) after.
01-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Are you using it integrated with Lightroom on a computer? I have no problem with using Adobe software, I have a big problem with giving them money.

It syncs with the computer yes
I get the issue wi money , it's about $15 a moth every bloody month. Otoh I always have the latest variant of all the photo products Mobile and computer
The free iPad software isn't worth editing with that I found unless you are just posting to Instagram or some such.
The flaw ATM I'd all iPad edits are to JPEG (unless the pro which I haven't bought yet ) supports it
Otoh if you get a surface it's way better at the price point than the 12" pro imo (and you can use an external drive and full edition software)

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2017 at 21:44 ----------

Oh and typing with thumbs on iPads sucks based on my spelling

01-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It syncs with the computer yes
I get the issue wi money , it's about $15 a moth every bloody month. Otoh I always have the latest variant of all the photo products Mobile and computer
The free iPad software isn't worth editing with that I found unless you are just posting to Instagram or some such.
The flaw ATM I'd all iPad edits are to JPEG (unless the pro which I haven't bought yet ) supports it
Otoh if you get a surface it's way better at the price point than the 12" pro imo (and you can use an external drive and full edition software)

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2017 at 21:44 ----------

Oh and typing with thumbs on iPads sucks based on my spelling
Oh, I did read about that jpeg thing. I was thinking more about basic selection of files with enough editing to tools to see i the image has potential and play them back. My issue, is up to 2 week trips in the bush with no chance to "develop my film" until I get home.
01-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh, I did read about that jpeg thing. I was thinking more about basic selection of files with enough editing to tools to see i the image has potential and play them back. My issue, is up to 2 week trips in the bush with no chance to "develop my film" until I get home.

Well you could do that , though if I was buying today it would be the surface i5 256 ssd 8gb , effectively a decent computer but still functions like a tablet. Either one will need charging in the woods over two weeks
Both weigh about the same
The surface having the. External drive capability thing is huge , it's why I take a laptop when I travel despite being able to do basic on the iPad

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2017 at 22:33 ----------

Oh and you can likely run software you already own if you really don't want to pay cc
01-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use an iPad Pro (9.7 inch version with 256GB) for the same purposes you're talking about -- selecting photos for further processing based on preliminary processing with LightRoom Mobile. Those that are keepers, I process on my desktop using the desktop version of LightRoom. Note that you don't need LightRoom CC, you can still buy LightRoom 6, as a standalone and use it "forever" (or at least till Apple's latest OS won't support it!). It's relatively inexpensive on Amazon. I should also note that the desktop version is still getting updates from Adobe, although it's still missing a few things such as the Dehaze tool. They are currently up to v6.8.

Last edited by subsea; 01-26-2017 at 09:27 PM.
01-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use an iPad Air 2 with 64GB for on the road backup and quick editing. It's not the most efficient workflow-import into Photos and then do some minor editing in Snapseed before sharing, and then do the "real" organizing and editing when I get home. But it works well enough. I did lose the little card reader dongle once, which sucks, so I now favor solutions with fewer dongles and losable things.
01-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Some seems to say I could ue the free Adobe app on the pro, and then use other software (probably Pixelmator) after.
You can sync it with your desktop if you choose. The iPad LR app is free. I'm using a 4the generation standard 9.7 inch iPad, not the Air of Pro, and it works fine as a stand alone for viewing and making adjustments in the field. I didn't have it synced with my desktop until this year because my old desktop didn't have wi-fi. My new Mac mini does and I plan on using it that way. I just haven't been shooting much in the past couple of months.

The iPad is awesome for taking on trips for photo viewing. Just make sure that whatever model you get, it has enough space to hold all those Raw files. I don't think that's an issue with the Pro but at least 64GB is necessary and 128 would be even better. On our trip out west last spring, I uploaded over 1000 Raw shots from my K5, adding to the photos already on it, along with a couple of movies for viewing on the flight. I keep it in an Otter Box to protect it from the elements. It has logged many miles in my Harley saddlebags. To me, it's far superior to a laptop if you're on the go a lot. I can charge it in the car, the bike, or with a solar charger.

Apple's photos app does pretty good for viewing and adjusting too. It recognizes my DNG Raw's natively. I do tend to prefer my large monitor at home when making any final adjustments to a shot. I haven't used the larger iPad Pro which would give you more screen real estate. I wouldn't want anything much larger for motorcycle traveling.The Pro has some capabilities mine doesn't but I don't know how much software support there is for it yet. I use mine for traveling. When I get home, I load my shots to my desktop and edit them as I always do. There's just something about the big screen I like.
01-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
I use an iPad Pro (9.7 inch version with 256GB) for the same purposes you're talking about -- selecting photos for further processing based on preliminary processing with LightRoom Mobile. Those that are keepers, I process on my desktop using the desktop version of LightRoom. Note that you don't need LightRoom CC, you can still buy LightRoom 6, as a standalone and use it "forever" (or at least till Apple's latest OS won't support it!). It's relatively inexpensive on Amazon. I should also note that the desktop version is still getting updates from Adobe, although it's still missing a few things such as the Dehaze tool. They are currently up to v6.8.
Here's where watching video kills you IN the video I watched above, I was impressed by the use of the DeHaze too.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I use an iPad Air 2 with 64GB for on the road backup and quick editing. It's not the most efficient workflow-import into Photos and then do some minor editing in Snapseed before sharing, and then do the "real" organizing and editing when I get home. But it works well enough. I did lose the little card reader dongle once, which sucks, so I now favor solutions with fewer dongles and losable things.
I think what I'm going to do is use my cameras to write jpegs on the second card, and then use my current iPad and iPhoto. For me, the whole solution is too expensive. I have a battery system that I can recharge with a portable solar panel to recharge my phone and iPad in the bush. I've never managed to coe up with a system that could recharge a laptop. I think I'm going to just forget doing any actual work on the raws until I get home.

My biggest problem at the moment is I'm still using Aperture. But if Lightroom 6.8 is as good as what I see in the above video, (without the deHaze) I think it's probably time to do the big switch in any case. With the dead month of Feb. coming up, I can schedule some time to move to Lightroom.

Thanks for all your input.
01-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's where watching video kills you IN the video I watched above, I was impressed by the use of the DeHaze too.

I think what I'm going to do is use my cameras to write jpegs on the second card, and then use my current iPad and iPhoto. For me, the whole solution is too expensive. I have a battery system that I can recharge with a portable solar panel to recharge my phone and iPad in the bush. I've never managed to coe up with a system that could recharge a laptop. I think I'm going to just forget doing any actual work on the raws until I get home.

My biggest problem at the moment is I'm still using Aperture. But if Lightroom 6.8 is as good as what I see in the above video, (without the deHaze) I think it's probably time to do the big switch in any case. With the dead month of Feb. coming up, I can schedule some time to move to Lightroom.

Aargh. Yes, with Aperture, iPhotos and such you are a bit behind the curve. I use Lr a lot and like it, but even though I have an iPad I don't like using it on trips for photos. Lr Mobile has improved a lot, but images on iPads are just hard to manage. I much prefer a laptop or Android tablet where I can access RAW directly. There are only a few apps in iOS that can edit RAW (many seem to say they do, but they really manipulate the JPEGs). Lr Mobile makes use of a system to transfer smart previews back and forth, which saves space and bandwidth, and they work great. Go over to say lightroomforums.com and there's some more info there about that workflow. I just wish they'd get hierarchical keywords on iOS....

Another product you might try is Mylio; it can do RAW editing and synching, but it's costly (in software, like in cameras, you get what you pay for). But it has a free version for JPEGs and with that you might be able to work together a decent workflow for just culling and such. It syncs much better than Aperture, iPhoto, Photos or Lr Mobile since you have more control over the process. But of course you're still stuck with some of the inherent limitations of iOS for photo work.
01-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a third party Dehaze filter available as a plug-in for LightRoom. It's not bad. It's called LRHaze and, if I'm not mistaken, it's available from the Apple app store for $1.99. There's also a set of LightRoom presets for dehaze available from Prolost as a pay-what-you-want offering. I haven't tried them, yet.