Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Advice needed for a new scanner please.

I've started to look for a scanner. I know next to nothing about scanners, but I do know what I want to do. I am hoping someone could help me out with some advice and/or some examples.

* I plan to scan film (135 format), primarily B/W. usually ISO 200-400
* I might want to scan slides, and colour film, but this is a low priority.
* The digital output will primarily be used on the web.
* If I need a high quality scan, I will get it done at a Lab.

I would like to spend less then $250.00. This I expect will limit me to flatbed scanners. I'm not expecting a flatbed to perform like a $600.00 slide scanner, and I don't think I need that level of resolution with the negatives I plan to scan.

At the moment the top contender is the Epson V500. In another thread, I saw some examples of B/W scanned output, and it looked good to me.

Anyone have experience with this scanner? How is the software? Does anyone have any other exapmles they could share? Any other models I should consider?

Thanks in advance,

Eric.

08-05-2008, 02:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would consider a used Minolta scanner for 35mm film
you can probably get them cheaper than $200 and use VueScan software with it.

If you plan to buy new go to VueScan and Silverfast websites and check the compatibility charts.

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I've started to look for a scanner. I know next to nothing about scanners, but I do know what I want to do. I am hoping someone could help me out with some advice and/or some examples.

* I plan to scan film (135 format), primarily B/W. usually ISO 200-400
* I might want to scan slides, and colour film, but this is a low priority.
* The digital output will primarily be used on the web.
* If I need a high quality scan, I will get it done at a Lab.

I would like to spend less then $250.00. This I expect will limit me to flatbed scanners. I'm not expecting a flatbed to perform like a $600.00 slide scanner, and I don't think I need that level of resolution with the negatives I plan to scan.

At the moment the top contender is the Epson V500. In another thread, I saw some examples of B/W scanned output, and it looked good to me.

Anyone have experience with this scanner? How is the software? Does anyone have any other exapmles they could share? Any other models I should consider?

Thanks in advance,

Eric.
08-05-2008, 03:17 AM   #3

Dynamic range, in my opinion, is the most important specification to consider. V500's D-range is 3.4. Anything below 3.0 you might not get good details in the highlights and shadows. Scans from old Nikon LS20 (D-range around 2.4) was barely usable with high contrast images (B&W, E-6). Nikon V ED $550 has D-Range of 4.2. I do prefer dedicated film scanner but well designed flatbed scanners always produced good scans from film. V500 is $229-$50 (rebate) at B&H. If the scanning speed is reasonable sounds like the V500 is a winner to me.
08-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys.

I went with the V500. It was on sale at a price that was just too good to pass on. At the rate the local lab charges, I'll have it paid for in 3-4 rolls.

So far I really like it. Easy to set up, and I was scanning within minutes. I still need to try the various settings to polish the results, but I am very happy for a first go at it.

After I get a few scans under my belt, I'll post some examples.

Eric.