Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

HELP! Problems about Pentax PHOTO Laboratory and Lightroom

Hi, everyone! I've been using Pentax PHOTO Laboratory (PLL) and Lightroom (LR) for about 1 month. There're some problems really confused me. Can anyone answer them? Thank you!

1. My most confusing problem: The JPEG files exported from PLL and LR are so different from each other... The JPEG generated by LR is really bad by its default value. I tried to use DNG as RAW file, but it doesn't work. I love the image tone of PLL, however, it has so many drawbacks (I'll talk about this later) that makes me have to choose Lightroom. Anyone know how can I produce PLL-like JPEG in Lightroom? is there a bunch of Lightroom presets that can mimic the image-tone in PLL?

2. Drawbacks of PLL: The Preview window can not be enlarged, thus it is extremely difficult to use it as a processing software, any ideas to improve this?

3. There seems to be no difference between Landscape and Picture (Landscape), but why are they two different image-tone as listed in PLL?

4. PLL tends to generate a EXIF item called Component Config, and the value is YCbcr, what does this mean?

5. Lightroom: it seems that it changes EXIF a lot. First, the time is set to 00:00:00; Second, Color Space information is missing in EXIF, thus a lot of other softwares have to use sRGB instead. This is not a big deal since I used sRGB 99% of the time, but it do confused me since only lightroom (and surprisingly Windows Picture Viewer) can interpret the color space in the right way.

I've had a lot of problems on lightroom, just can't remember them one by one. I really appreciate that anyone can answer, at least part of my question. Thank you very much!

08-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe one difference between PPL and LR is that PPL uses your camera's JPG settings as the default for the RAW display. Lightroom does not use the JPG settings.
08-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you need to remember that a RAW file is not a photo. It is a mathematical equation to which there is more than one answer. Every RAW conversion software interprets the file differently and only the one that came with the camera can interpret it the same way the camera does. Lr reads it as a flat image and waits for you to "process" it. It does a very good job, but it requires input from you before it is ready for output. PPL reads it the same way the camera jpeg would since it knows what those jpeg settings were.

Most people are in the same boat, they love the look of the PPL generated output, but can't stand it's interface.
08-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In Lightroom Help search for color profile. It'll explain how LR manages color profiles better than I can.
When you export images you have a choice of using sRGB, Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB. You'll find it in LR File menu > Export > Image Settings > Color Space.
The EXIF data time in my LR is correct on all my images. Have you set the time in your camera settings correctly?

08-06-2008, 01:10 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
In Lightroom Help search for color profile. It'll explain how LR manages color profiles better than I can.
When you export images you have a choice of using sRGB, Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB. You'll find it in LR File menu > Export > Image Settings > Color Space.
The EXIF data time in my LR is correct on all my images. Have you set the time in your camera settings correctly?

Yes, The EXIF of the RAW file and the JPEG file generated by PLL are all correct.
Maybe it's just an unstable version. My LR version is 1.4 430968

Any other Recommend Post-processing software?
08-06-2008, 01:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Yes, you need to remember that a RAW file is not a photo. It is a mathematical equation to which there is more than one answer. Every RAW conversion software interprets the file differently and only the one that came with the camera can interpret it the same way the camera does. Lr reads it as a flat image and waits for you to "process" it. It does a very good job, but it requires input from you before it is ready for output. PPL reads it the same way the camera jpeg would since it knows what those jpeg settings were.

Most people are in the same boat, they love the look of the PPL generated output, but can't stand it's interface.
Sure, do you guys have some sort of lightroom presets to share? Thanks
08-06-2008, 02:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Silkypix

QuoteOriginally posted by airsniper Quote
Try Silkypix. It has free version that you can use for RAW conversion.
SILKYPIX Developer Studio

08-06-2008, 03:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, The EXIF of the RAW file and the JPEG file generated by PLL are all correct.
Maybe it's just an unstable version. My LR version is 1.4 430968

I use LR 1.4.1 439926. Try asking in the LR Forums about the EXIF data.
Lightroom Forums Portal
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - User to User Forums

Links for Tips, Downloads and FAQ's about LR.

+1 SilkyPix
08-06-2008, 04:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
try this site for starters

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips Presets - Matt’s Dramatic Sky presets

and this one

onOne Software - PhotoPresets for Lightroom
08-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you very much!

The second link is especially useful.

Another Question: do you have some tips to share when processing a portrait? I found it really hard to make the skin tone look natural after messing with all of the parameters...
08-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
Try Silkypix. It has free version that you can use for RAW conversion.
SILKYPIX Developer Studio
I am thinking Slikypix, too. Since the original PLL is powered by that. Thank you!
08-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Try using the new DNG profiles. It may help with your color problems.

Jao's photo blog: Lightroom 2.0
08-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Try using the new DNG profiles. It may help with your color problems.

Jao's photo blog: Lightroom 2.0

Thank Godness! They finally made it. I am always thinking that shooting in DNG is a special advantage that only pentax can bring us. Now it becomes more powerful, though DNG is a little bit larger (roughly 16MB per file)

Thank you, too for bringing me such a fantastic news! The only problem: Do I need to purchase again to get 2.0, or I can just download and upgrade? Thank you very much!
08-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Uhh, well I quit using Lightroom about 6 months ago. The problem with presets is that every image is different and needs different things. Lightroom does have an auto tone setting that you can use on import. Try it to see if you like it. Sometimes it is too strong, but it is better than the flat tone default.
08-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Uhh, well I quit using Lightroom about 6 months ago. The problem with presets is that every image is different and needs different things. Lightroom does have an auto tone setting that you can use on import. Try it to see if you like it. Sometimes it is too strong, but it is better than the flat tone default.
The auto tone of Lightroom is awful, even those guys who developed LR don't think that will work. I read their book: Photoshop Lightroom Adventure

The landscape and potrait presets seem to have no difference at all. Sometimes the direct positive preset does do a great job, though.