Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2017, 04:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
My PC just died. For a while it wouldn't start until you pushed the button on several times. Then it would start up whenever it felt like it
Need it for photoshop editing
Now completely dead.
Just replaced the power supply unit and still the same. Nothing runs, not even the motherboard green button.
Tried to bypass the case switch which didn't solve it.
I have been working on computers since '90's and this is the first one that stumps me
Any ideas?

Have you tried disconnecting all devices, maybe even the GPU?

Nothing shorting on the case?

02-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My PC just died. For a while it wouldn't start until you pushed the button on several times. Then it would start up whenever it felt like it
Need it for photoshop editing
Now completely dead.
Just replaced the power supply unit and still the same. Nothing runs, not even the motherboard green button.
Tried to bypass the case switch which didn't solve it.
I have been working on computers since '90's and this is the first one that stumps me
Any ideas?
That looks like something in the power department.
I'd say bad PSU, try replacing that before anything else.
If a/some capacitor/s is/are going bad, you get something like this, a start at the nth try, when they finally manage to store enough charge.

If not, it could still be a capacitor, but on the MB, as photolady95 and aremmes already suggested.
02-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might check the outlet to make sure you're getting full power and it's not a breaker problem and that the power supply is switched on. That would be pretty rare so I'm guessing the motherboard also. From the problem described I believe something has been failing for a while, maybe a soldered connector or a weak solder joint, not something that would be easy to find of fix for that matter. I don't know of any components would cause no power when they became unseated. But of course I could be wrong, I've built several computers, but none for the last 9 years so I'm not up on the latest at all.
02-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
That looks like something in the power department.
I'd say bad PSU, try replacing that before anything else.
If a/some capacitor/s is/are going bad, you get something like this, a start at the nth try, when they finally manage to store enough charge.

If not, it could still be a capacitor, but on the MB, as photolady95 and aremmes already suggested.
In the post you quoted, they said how they replaced the power supply...

02-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Did it have signs of life? I don't get a LED light on the MB
Then it could be:
- power adapter
- a broken motherboard
- both of the above (i.e. spike from the PSU destroyed the motherboard)

You can test the power adapter with a multimeter. There should be flate metal contacts on the motherboard that have voltages written nearby: 5v, 12v. You can test these voltages. Sometimes there are also LEDs that light up which have voltages written nearby. Those too will inform you if one of the voltage circuits is broken. Either way the PSUs are quite cheap, you can get a decent EVGA one for 40-80 USD.
You could also test voltages directly on the outlets coming off of the PSU.

This happens, but there is a decent changes everything but the motherboard should fine. I would get an appropriate PSU and test it, and if it doesn't work, then I would get a motherboard.
02-03-2017, 02:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

If you get power to the psu and fans, then the psu is good. No light on the mobo is not good. If psu has power and no light on mobo, time to replace the mobo. If mobo had light but nothing happens (not showing bios screen or POST), then it would be a dead cpu. If you get bios/POST screen and nothing, then I would suspect ram, hdd, or hdd cable. If you had power to board, and hdd light was active, but no output, then it would be video card related.
02-03-2017, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Judging by what original poster wrote, it all indicates to the dead capacitors on the motherboard.
1. He already tried with a different PSU
2. Mentioned that he had to press power button multiple times to power up, before it died completely
3. No signs of life whatsoever (no power going through the board)

Since it's a 1150 board, I suggest getting one of Z97 boards. I have one from Gigabyte and never had any problems. You can still find them new or refurbished on newegg

02-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You might check the outlet to make sure you're getting full power and it's not a breaker problem and that the power supply is switched on. That would be pretty rare so I'm guessing the motherboard also. From the problem described I believe something has been failing for a while, maybe a soldered connector or a weak solder joint, not something that would be easy to find of fix for that matter. I don't know of any components would cause no power when they became unseated. But of course I could be wrong, I've built several computers, but none for the last 9 years so I'm not up on the latest at all.
For a while when I would plug a USB cord into a certain slot, the computer would reboot it's self.

---------- Post added 02-03-17 at 10:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
There are few options. One thing you can try is to take the CMOS battery out and leave it for 24 hours and see if it will start when you put it back in. One really rare thing is if the CMOS battery is totally dead the motherboard may not start up at all. I've seen this ony a few times. One other to try is to see if you have a CMOS jumper to reset the BIOS. Usually you a 4 pin CMOS jumper where you move the jumper to 3 of the 4 pins to reset the CMOS. In my opinion either your BIOS is corrupt, you have a bad memory module, or your motherboard is totally dead. Motherboard failure is normally preceded by numerous annoyances and rarely just outright fail unless they received a major shock. This is my experience in almost 40 years of building computers.
Doesn't the battery only store the date and time?
02-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't the battery only store the date and time?
Yes, however I have seen a few rare instances where a PC would not power due to a totally dead CMOS battery.
02-06-2017, 05:14 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Did you manage to replace/fix the motherboard? Would be nice to give us some closure
02-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery
Looks like I am 3 days late to the party, but if you have definitively ruled out the PSU, the only possible issue would be the Motherboard. Even with no CPU you would get lights on the motherboard and fan power.

You mentioned you were on the LGA1155 socket so that is 3rd gen Intel, they are now on 7th gen and motherboards are usually the first to fail between the board/cpu/psu.

Since you already have 32gb of ram, it will be DDR3 which limits your upgrade options if you want to keep the ram. Skylake and Kabylake both use DDR4. I am not seeing any good replacements for the 1155 socket. If you are going to upgrade it makes sense to upgrade the RAM to DDR4 and go with a kabylake build or wait for Zen which should be out in March.
02-23-2017, 09:32 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks everyone for all the help. after a big operation I took out the old motherboard and replaced it with a new used motherboard and all seems good

randy
02-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to hear it.