Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vicioustuna2012 Quote
In regards to sending prints to labs; do they usually correct things like dark prints for you, or do they just send what came out? Like, if I left a note that said "Hey if these are dark lighten them up", would they do that?
When you send files to an Internet print service, they may or may not try to optimize the quality of the print. If you are working with a local print shop or service bureau they will usually work with you to get exactly the result that you desire, but for a price $$$.

Steve

02-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I print locally, I explicitly warn the lab not to do any corrections. Also I give them 16 bit .tiff files.
02-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Vicioustuna2012 Quote
In regards to sending prints to labs; do they usually correct things like dark prints for you, or do they just send what came out? Like, if I left a note that said "Hey if these are dark lighten them up", would they do that?
Most good labs will offer the choice of allowing them to tweak your file to look it's best (based on their experience and expertise) or to print it unadjusted. True calibration can only occur within a controlled and closed system so although you might get close if the printer shares their printer and paper profiles that doesn't mean your monitor will be properly calibrated to their device. I'd always recommend viewing a proof print for anything you are going to print large and then adjust your image based on that. Don't ever rely on how it looks on your monitor if you are sending it out to a printer. Many good labs won't charge for the proof if you end up printing the final image with them.