Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2017, 06:25 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Installing DCU5 with no dvd player

I have a brand new Dell laptop (Windows 10, 64bit, i7) that has no dvd drive. How can install DCU5 for the new K-1 that I just bought? You can only download updates from the Ricoh site.

Another question. I already use Lightroom and Photoshop, and have no trouble editing the K-1 RAW files with them. Do I even need DCU5 and Silkypix?

Thanks!

02-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
copy the DCU5 files on USB drive and install from there
02-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Don't bother with it if you already have Lightroom. Unless you really need pixel shift support, it's not that great. I get far better images out of Lightroom, DxO, & RawTherapee.

The only thing PDCU is good for is to get the exact same image that the camera's jpeg engine puts out, which is pointless to do 'cause the camera can already do that for you.
02-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #4

If you are running Windows 10 (or 8 for that matter) download the update file from Ricoh. Run it, it will complain it can't find a previous version. Click "ok" or whatever - not cancel - then click "next", "next" and it will install anyway. Just don't click "cancel" or the red "x" on any of the windows, unless of course you want to cancel. I think it's a newer version than what is on the K-1 disc.

Good luck. There have been a few reports of DCU not working on Window 10 - splash screen then nothing as I recall.

Some people use DCU to process the Pixel Shift RAW files saving them as TIFs and then using some other package to work on the TIFs. Perhaps in the future other packages will process Pixel Shift as well as DCU does.

Or follow the steps in this thread (skip to the last few pages):
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/55-photography-articles/36984-how-instal...installed.html

Basically take a USB or Flash drive attach it and name it S-SW162 (this should work or see the above thread) and then run the update.

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-06-2017 at 08:13 AM.
02-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarcL Quote
I have a brand new Dell laptop (Windows 10, 64bit, i7) that has no dvd drive. How can install DCU5 for the new K-1 that I just bought? You can only download updates from the Ricoh site.

Another question. I already use Lightroom and Photoshop, and have no trouble editing the K-1 RAW files with them. Do I even need DCU5 and Silkypix?

Thanks!

If you really want to install that software, you can always get this. FRYS.comÂ*|Â*LG
02-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I actually was able to install it, but I get the splash screen then nothing. Think I will just stick to Lightroom. Do either Lightroom or Photoshop handle Pixel Shift files?
02-07-2017, 06:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarcL Quote
I actually was able to install it, but I get the splash screen then nothing. Think I will just stick to Lightroom. Do either Lightroom or Photoshop handle Pixel Shift files?

From what I understand, no, neither one does yet, but I don't know for sure. I am sure others will pop in and give you a better answer though.

07-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Basically take a USB or Flash drive attach it and name it S-SW162 (this should work or see the above thread) and then run the update.
Bumping this to say "thanks." I just bought a used K1 and the seller forgot to include the CD, and this worked perfectly today with the current version of the software.