Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #121
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
If Lightroom's limited editing capabilities are enough for your project (they usually are for mine, as I have said). When they're not, I still want something non-destructive.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Photoshop CS5.
Non-destructive raster edits...now there is a concept

I know, I know...Photoshop has several functions when working with PSD files that are essentially non-destructive and when linked though Lightroom's "edit in" feature provides fairly tight "downstream" coupling between the two tools.

BTW, the "edit in" feature is very much worth learning in detail and allows for a high degree of flexibility when working with external editors and can approximate non-destructive edits, at least within session on the external editor.

Steve

02-22-2017, 04:28 PM   #122
mee
Veteran Member

Affinity Photo can work non-destructively. That is what the 'live filter layers' do.
03-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #123

I just support this software, but Adobe Products are simple BLOAT

I have been installing this software for staff (Creative Cloud).

I seriously don't know how anyone can endure the torture of using any Adobe product. Each app takes 30 minutes to install if you have a powerful internet connection. You have to pay monthly and the Gigs of storage space it sucks out of your system is evidence of how bloaty and slow it is. I only give credit to software developers who can make useful software that is done quickly and efficiently.

Why use Photoshop when a simple photo editing program like Irfanview which is maybe 10 MBs with all the plugins installed.

Adobe's terrible.
03-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maddog22 Quote

Why use Photoshop when a simple photo editing program like Irfanview which is maybe 10 MBs with all the plugins installed.
So Irfanview supports everything Photoshop does? What about Photoshop's most rudimentary features?

Mac support?
Layers?
Layer blending?
Layer masks?
Saving files as PSD so I can come back to my layers later?
Support for raw files like DNG or PEF?

Should I even bother to continue? You're just supporting the software.

There are many valid reasons to hate on Adobe and its software, many competitors that are suitable for most of its purposes, but you really don't sound like you've ever used Photoshop.

03-09-2017, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maddog22 Quote
Photoshop can do things most of us mere mortals can't imagine but it also does a lot of things you occasionally want to do and for those whose livelihoods depend on either of these two talents PS is the way to go.
03-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Photoshop can do things most of us mere mortals can't imagine but it also does a lot of things you occasionally want to do and for those whose livelihoods depend on either of these two talents PS is the way to go.
Still, there is a point to be made about Adobe installers. I like their programs, but they spray stuff all over the place.
03-09-2017, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Still, there is a point to be made about Adobe installers. I like their programs, but they spray stuff all over the place.
On OS X there are Adobe folders in /Library/Application Support & /Users/user/Library/Application Support.

Everything else is in the Application package or application folder in /Applications.

03-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #128
Pentaxian

So I have a stand alone version of LR, version 5.7.1.
I need a profile for a new lens but all the Adobe support is about the creative cloud which is $9.99 per month.
I guess if I want the lens profile I have to join this?
03-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
On OS X there are Adobe folders in /Library/Application Support & /Users/user/Library/Application Support.

Everything else is in the Application package or application folder in /Applications.
And in prefs, launchdaemons, frameworks, pdfservices, launchagents, etc. I wish it were all in those two folders. And generally it's not the stuff in there that has caused me to have to resort to Adobe's CC Cleaner Tool (the fact they need one is a bad sign); it's some obscure bit associated with AAM or something. I suppose given the complexity of the programs (and I have several besides Lr and Ps) it's necessary, but still.
03-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
And in prefs, launchdaemons, frameworks, pdfservices, launchagents, etc. I wish it were all in those two folders. And generally it's not the stuff in there that has caused me to have to resort to Adobe's CC Cleaner Tool (the fact they need one is a bad sign); it's some obscure bit associated with AAM or something. I suppose given the complexity of the programs (and I have several besides Lr and Ps) it's necessary, but still.
The only Adobe framework in the /Library/Frameworks on my system is Adobe AIR. I guess I've never paid attention to where they stick .plist files, but they aren't any worse than M$ in that regard...I don't have Acrobat, and I don't let Reader install itself in Plug-ins...

Actually I do have Acrobat, but it's a really old version on my old G3 iBook...
03-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #131

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I tried the Pentax utility and it sort-of works, but it's lacking many features that I rely on. So, I'm looking at Lightroom again.
That we still have silly regional pricing that has us paying an 'Australian tax' is ridiculous. Luckily we live in a global world where it isn't hard to get around the issue. More fool you Adobe.

All you need to do to access Lightroom at US prices is to have an Adobe CC account that is registered as being resident in the US. All you need to do that is an email address that hasn't been used to create a Adobe CC account before. If you can wait it is worth holding out until B&H or Adorama have a sale (~$99 instead of ~$120).
03-26-2017, 02:55 AM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
I need a profile for a new lens but all the Adobe support is about the creative cloud which is $9.99 per month.
I think you can just upgrade from version 5 stand alone to version 6 stand alone for 79 dollars and I assume that would include the lens profile you want.
03-26-2017, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
No.

All lens profiles can be used in all LR versions.

You get all the newest lens profiles officially for FREE in the DNG converter software.

No need to EVER leave 5.7.1.