Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Scanning a Lot of Photos - What Software to Use?

I have to scan about a hundred photos for a project. They are of various sizes (from 2x3 to 8x10) and don't know if there is better software than the one that came with my computer. I've got a Canon all-in-one that does a decent enough job of scanning and usually just use the Windows 10 scan utility. I don't mind paying for software if it's worth it.

Thank you in advance for your help!

02-11-2017, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I recently got a Canon 9000F Mk2 scanner and have been scanning family slides. I have been using the software that came with the scanner. If I just need to scan a single photo, I have used the acquire feature in both Paint.net and PSE 9 (Adobe calls it something else in PSE, I just don't remember what it is called.)

PSE and so I guess PS also have a selection for separating photos after being scanned but I have never tried it yet.
02-11-2017, 10:34 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vuescan has many controls and I recommend it highly.
02-12-2017, 02:34 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for Vuescan (professional edition). Supports a lot of different scanners and is available for evaluation

02-12-2017, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
does a decent enough job...
Use that :-)
02-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello everyone, I went ahead and purchased Vuescan Professional Edition and it looks really powerful. Are there any tutorials out there for the software? I was able to figure out the really basic stuff, but I'm sure I should really learn the software in order to take advantage of all its features. Specifically, I'm looking to learn how to use the option where I can scan multiple photos and it will auto detect the edges and save me a bunch of time. Right now, It does a pretty bad job of auto-detecting and I'm sure it's something I'm not doing right. Thanks!
02-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There are numerous settings and options available with Vuescan. I would recommend setting some time aside and going through the reasonably decent manual that comes with the program. I haven't used the auto-detect function for edges yet. When I scan multiple images, i.e., slides, I set the crop border to a negative value so that the curve of the slide holder won't be included. Also, if you set a positive value on the buffer, it won't use edge data to modify the white balance. Good luck. Much like Photoshop, there is a learning curve to using it.

02-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
There are numerous settings and options available with Vuescan. I would recommend setting some time aside and going through the reasonably decent manual that comes with the program. I haven't used the auto-detect function for edges yet. When I scan multiple images, i.e., slides, I set the crop border to a negative value so that the curve of the slide holder won't be included. Also, if you set a positive value on the buffer, it won't use edge data to modify the white balance. Good luck. Much like Photoshop, there is a learning curve to using it.
Just went through their website and found the user's guide. Thanks!