Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazon Unlimited Storage - is it wise to switch to cloud storage?

I've reached a point where I'm in dire need of more storage, and the best solution seems to build a NAS to make sure my files are safe from being corrupted, or lost if one of the HDD fails.
The cheapest one with drives that would facilitate my stuff would cost over 500$ - a pretty basic NAS with say 2 6tb drives, one clone copying another for safety.
I'm wondering - The amazon unlimited plan costs like 60$ per year, cheaper than what I'm already paying them for Prime. Is it a good idea to just transfer stuff there, and only keep immediate
files I'm working on on my hard drives? I'm mainly thinking from file safety and storage, I've got about 6 years worth of design work backed up on drives, and 3-4 years worth of RAW's from photography.
Wonder if anyone made a switch to cloud storage, or maybe tried the Amazon service? I mean it's amazon, I don't think they are going anywhere (doubt servers will shut down tomorrow basically).

Any input would be much appreciated!

03-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have it as a backup to my backup. My backup being a 6 bay NAS with 6x 5tb drives. As long as you have an unlimited transfer capability with a decent connection speed it is nice.
03-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Didn't realize Prime Photos already offers unlimited storage for photos, including RAW's. Of course they don't support PEF files, or the olympus files.. And converting all those files to DNG would take an eternity. I'd much rather cancel my prime and get the unlimited storage. Again, I mostly want to backup my work files, and some of the older photo stuff that I probably won't touch for a while. So tempting, 60$ per year, with 3 months free.. Damn it)
03-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say give it a try because I use it to back up everything. Yes, even music, video, document, programs, and the OS.

03-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I'd say give it a try because I use it to back up everything. Yes, even music, video, document, programs, and the OS.
Started my 3 months trial. I still might build a NAS for the convenience of it, but at least I can backup some crucial stuff now and stop sweating every time I bump my hard drives
03-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #6

Prime unlimited storage isn't bad but the interface--app or web--is awful.
03-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have 2, 2Tb external backup data drives that I swap Fridays weekly, carrying the out of service drive to my office. I can easily and cheaply make those 4Tb drives if necessary. *

I additionally have a dual internal taped and striped mirror of my data drive (I use a Tower, not a laptop). I make a mirror to DVD of my system partition periodically. I did a boot restore to a 16Gb SD card with a USB reader.

I choose not to use cloud storage, regardless how secure, encrypted, permanent and safe they claim it is.

* Many Enterprises with massive storage requirements host their own servers - I could easily do that with older hardware (NAS Storage). The true redundant protection in my system is the rotated backup drive stored off site.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-03-2017 at 07:59 AM.
03-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah, I use Amazon but it is truly backup only -- I hope I never have to download it again -- the software is terrible.
03-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see that app has already been improved over the old one. Perhaps it will get to a good point sometime in future. I have my files spread across three drives, and it makes me nervous that I'm so dependent on the hardware, at least for my work files..
03-02-2017, 11:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'd never trust it. I don't want other people to have my data. Even if you do use it you should have other backups, and only upload encrypted stuff to Amazon. But I'm just paranoid...
03-03-2017, 05:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not backing up any sensitive materials) just my boring work files that no one but me would ever need.
03-03-2017, 05:58 AM   #12

Works well enough after photos are uploaded, but my internet provider is Windstream, with upload speeds not in mbps, but mbpm, it just runs and runs. And runs. And runs. A reasonable consideration for country folk.
03-03-2017, 07:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I see that this will take few weeks to upload most of the important stuff with my TWC awesome connection. I need a google fiber connection to really make good use of this
03-03-2017, 07:39 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found this a helpful article on the topic of cloud storage and photography. It also includes links that discuss more about the prime photos options and limitations- like non-commercial use.

Best Cloud Storage for Photographers - 2017 | Have Camera Will Travel

Please note that some services offer a seed hard drive and even a restore hard drive option.
03-03-2017, 07:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I found this a helpful article on the topic of cloud storage and photography. It also includes links that discuss more about the prime photos options and limitations- like non-commercial use.

Best Cloud Storage for Photographers - 2017 | Have Camera Will Travel

Please note that some services offer a seed hard drive and even a restore hard drive option.
Thanks for sharing! But, those services are pretty pricey, and as a non-pro photographer I probably can't justify it just yet. The 1 year cost of any of those is basically the price of a NAS storage with few backup drives, which kind of defeats the purpose of the original question)

I wonder if longevity could be a potential issue though? Amazon is amazon, like Google, I don't think they are going away any time soon. Those other ones - not sure. Downloading 4-6tb of data from a server in case they announce shutting down would be a massive pain

EDIT: oh, Backblaze offers actually sending a hard drive to copy the files and return to them. That's a winner right there))

Last edited by awscreo; 03-03-2017 at 08:18 AM.