Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #1

Need help choosing photo program please.

Hi There, I have been away for a long time and been completely out of the loupe as far as photography. I have an older Mac computer 2008. I have the latest upgrade for it ( el captain). My camera is a K200d, iPhone 5c and Canon point&shoot. I am looking for a photo program to replace the Photos installed with the computer. Something simple to understand and use. I will not be doing any kind of serious editing so not looking for a pro style program.
I am looking for your recommendations and opinions.
How do you feel about the original photo program that came with the camera (Silkypix photo browser3 and laboratory3)

Thanks so much for your help.

03-08-2017, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find Silkypix very confusing despite years of tech experience. Instead, I'd recommend looking into Lightroom 6. Stores still sell it on DVD, and it's a great way to manage your photos as well as edit them. If you get stuck and/or need a primer, there are so many good resources for Lightroom too.
03-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lightroom may run real slow on a 2008 Mac. I just upgraded from a 2010, it was painfully slow at times.

I don't think you will find anything easier to use than Photos. When I got Lightroom CC I had to watch a lot of YouTube videos and got a real thick help book and I still don't think I've got it all down.
03-08-2017, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I find Silkypix very confusing despite years of tech experience. Instead, I'd recommend looking into Lightroom 6. Stores still sell it on DVD, and it's a great way to manage your photos as well as edit them. If you get stuck and/or need a primer, there are so many good resources for Lightroom too.

I will add Lightroom has the huge benefit of being non destructive so you can revisit he original file as skills improve . It is very powerful but simple as well if you like. And as mentioned it is a great organizational tool

03-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
I should also mentioned that I would like to be able to create albums . The latest photos update has mixed all my photos up and I hate the faces . I don't even know if it can be disabled . I must confess, my skill set is very low.
03-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Check out ACDSee Pro. It's very easy to use and loaded with features.
03-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
I should also mentioned that I would like to be able to create albums . The latest photos update has mixed all my photos up and I hate the faces . I don't even know if it can be disabled . I must confess, my skill set is very low.
If Lightroom is not an option (due to speed issues) you could try ACDSee Mac Pro. There's a free trial you can download.
ACDSee Mac Pro 3 - ACD Systems

03-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
How do you feel about the original photo program that came with the camera
Feeble and lacking :-)

I have been using Photoshop Elements since I bailed on the (feeble and lacking) Pentax software when it was v3.51.

I recently bought the DVD of v15, when it was on sale for $59.99, which included the Windows and Mac versions. It has 3 "modes" ranging from Basic to Expert. In expert, you can adjust the various sliders to taste, then open the image and do more things or just save it. If you don't want to get fancy you don't have to. There is a lot of tutorial info on the web, but a little trial and error on the main features and you should be good to go.

Otherwise, I would recommend FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ..., but it is Windows-only (and free).

Most of all, continue to read the threads in this section as it has all been answered, somewhere.
03-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
k22
Site Supporter

Photos with the External Editors for Photos extension. Then GIMP, Darktable, Lightzone, etc will be accessible from within Photos.

Last edited by k22; 03-08-2017 at 07:48 PM.
05-31-2017, 04:54 AM   #10

Hi,
I’d recommend you to use Picasa Photo Viewer / Editor as it’s a simple app which can help you in editing your pictures, batch edit them and it also acts as a photo viewer.

Picasa for Mac lets you tweak, save changes and later upload them to Picasa.
05-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LIghtzone is a good free Raw Editor. I've heard good things about Raw Therapee as well.
05-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I'm a fan of digiKam, which is probably closer to Photos. Gives you basic raw editing and fairly simple collection management.

As a bonus, it's cross-platform. I've used the Mac version, and haven't noticed any real deficiencies.
06-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #13

This might be a good place for a question. For raw processing I have DCU5 and RawTherapee, but for detailed editing I have not upgraded from PSLe 5, which I know fairly well, and it can handle my K-1 photos. I had a full version of Capture One Pro that expired before I could really learn it, but I don't remember anything it did better than RT.

Would it be sufficient to upgrade to an editing software that uses layers, and continue with what I have for RAW development?

---------- Post added 06-11-2017 at 05:17 PM ----------

When I tried Capture One, I did not like how files had to be imported into the workspace. I understand other programs also work this way. Do some offer simple browsing of directories and opening individual files like Pentax DCU5?
06-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Somewhat of a newcomer is OnOne RAW (Or recently, now just/again renamed to "On One Photo"?)
It is pretty simple to use. It is similar to Lightroom with tagging, flagging, keyboarding, sorting, etc... but does not use a library (catalog). So it is very straight forward for importing and dealing with files in and out of the software.
I might recommend it before Lightroom for those not willing to buy into the long haul for Adobe products.