Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Dark Photo - LCD vs CRT Monitor

So, Ive got this photo... It looks good on LCD monitors, but it's too dark when veiwed on CRTs. Is there a way to compensate for this? Any advice on how to handle this? Ive thought possibly lighten it a bit. It wont look as good on LCDs, but will atleast be veiwable on CRTs.

Last edited by Bubbabob; 07-26-2008 at 06:13 PM.
07-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bubbabob Quote
So, Ive got this photo... It looks good on LCD monitors, but it's too dark when veiwed on CRTs. Is there a way to compensate for this? Any advice on how to handle this? Ive thought possible lighten it a bit. It wont look as good on LCDs, but will atleast be veiwable on CRTs.
Unless the screens are calibrated, you don't have much hope.
A few questions though: How was the image colour managed? Are you comparing the images on different platforms? Mac screens tend to calibrate differently from PCs (some would say that PCs don't calibrate at all....)
What is the colourspace of the mage? Are the viewers both colourspace aware?

Why don't you post the image here and let this lot see if it looks good on a variety of monitors?
07-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A photo will look almost identical on both types of monitors, regardless. The only difference is if your LCD is the non-shiny type, so the photo might look more muted than the same photo on a CRT.

If you view the photo on two monitors and they look different, it's because either one or both of those monitors is adjusted incorrectly. I assume probably one has the brightness/contrast too high.

You should never adjust a photo on a monitor you haven't calibrated, whether using your eyes and a reference chart, or a calibrating tool like SPyder2. Google monitor calibration and you will find many tutorials on how to do this and even color charts that can help you eye ball it. It's not the best way, but something is better than nothing.
07-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh, monitors need to be calibrated... DOH! There's the problem....

The photo is veiwed with the same program on teh same computer, so it's 100% different monitors. .

The photo is the only one in my gallery. Thanks helpin a n00b out!

07-27-2008, 03:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And they don't only have to be calibrated just once, they need to be calibrated on a fairly regular basis, say once every week or so. The Pantone Huey I use, adjusts for the ambient light in the room on a continual basis but I still run a full calibration once a week.

p.s. Looks pretty dark on my monitor so I suspect your LCD has the brightness (and maybe contrast) turned WAY up.

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-27-2008 at 05:11 AM.
07-27-2008, 07:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's a chart to help with the brightness/contrast adjustment.

Photo Friday: Monitor Calibration Tool
07-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the heads up

cheers

08-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

I work in pre-press and do a ton of color correcting. I have a dual monitor system with a CRT and an LCD. Both are calibrated every morning. I do all my image manipulation on the lcd but for final color correction I switch to the CRT. I get more reliable and consistent results with fewer on press surprises from the CRT. Most of my friends in the field also have trouble with the lcds and have to run by the numbers instead of looking at it onscreen. (They use strictly lcd)
08-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Much depends on the LCD display, its age, and the technology used. Some LCDs have very limited dynamic range and exhibit excessive contrast regardless of attempts at calibration. Others have non-linear response curves such that it is impossible to display shadow detail. And then there is always the matter of color cast. Notice how some purple/magenta flowers NEVER look right on some displays regardless of calibration? Did anyone care to mention viewing angle?

CRT displays have less of a tendency to these issues, though a poor quality display is a poor quality display regardless of type. I currently do most of my photo work on an older ViewSonic CRT that needs to be refocused. It also has a degree of barrel distortion that I have not been able to tune out. My preference would be to find an LCD with excellent dynamic range, fine dot pitch, and broad color gamut...all at a moderate price.

Looks I might be waiting a long time...

Steve

P.S. Your photo looks dark on my recently calibrated CRT monitor as well.