Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Small story about saving a failed image

So you shot a nice image while on vacation from an impossible angle - couldn't step back any further, a tree was in the wrong place, whatever. This was the sorry result:

Correcting the verticals during raw conversion is step one:

After which you are left with this impossible result which, to say it nicely, has a couple of sizable holes in it in all the wrong places:

With some careful cutting and pasting, some cloning and healing, a lot of blending and a bit of content-aware fill, a passable image results:

Conclusion: image saved!

03-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nifty, on the photoshop side you have adaptive wide angle filter. Though it won't do the content aware fill for you, but you can easily select the new layer, inverse, expand a few pixels and fill with content aware option and correct where needed.
03-20-2017, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Excellent post processing work Mike!

You will still have to explain the presence of the shadow coming out of nowhere on the lower right corner of the image....!

03-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Good work on figuring out a fix!
Two tiny things that would make it even better and one of them is really simple but really improves it:

Simple 5 second one: Clone out one of the two chips at the left end of the fascia. It currently leaves the initial cloning too obvious.
Relatively simple one: Get rid of the shadow on the right. (Hint: content aware)

(Oops: Already mentioned by WhiteFeather)

03-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WhiteFeather Quote
You will still have to explain the presence of the shadow coming out of nowhere on the lower right corner of the image....!
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Good work on figuring out a fix!
Two tiny things that would make it even better and one of them is really simple but really improves it:

Simple 5 second one: Clone out one of the two chips at the left end of the fascia. It currently leaves the initial cloning too obvious.
Relatively simple one: Get rid of the shadow on the right. (Hint: content aware)

(Oops: Already mentioned by WhiteFeather)
You guys have a very sharp perception and make my life that much more interesting...well spotted indeed! Here's the corrected version:

03-20-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must be blind because I am not seeing the "obvious" cloning and the shadow that is being talked about.
So you used the perceptive correction module. Never tried it. I guess I should.
I have normally used horizontal and vertical anchors in the crop module.

Have you used both? Which one do you prefer?
03-21-2017, 01:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing your approach, I really need to look into context-aware fill. To me, the cloning is a little too obvious in the plaster structure at the bottom too, not just the chip. I really like your shadow fix much better than removing it, the picture would be boring without.

How about distortion correction? The cornice (not sure that's the term) parallel to the upper border "sags" a little too much. I just noticed darktable doesn't have manual pincushion distortion correction - just as part of lens profiles. Did you apply the one for the 17-50mm? I'm used to having both automatic and manual options coming from RawTherapee - just starting to use darktable.

03-21-2017, 04:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing! I do love before and after processing comparisons

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I must be blind because I am not seeing the "obvious" cloning and the shadow that is being talked about.
In the bottom left corner there is a light 'crack' that runs vertically and repeats itself. A random wall texture shouldn't repeat. If it hadn't been pointed out, or if the 'before' photo hadn't been shown (drawing attention to the edited areas), I probably wouldn't have seen it unless I spent a long time staring at the image. Once you've seen it, you can't unsee it.

The shadow is on the right, and was corrected in the final version (post #5, though the band that was added exiting the frame should be narrower). After the wall lamp that created the shadow was removed (along with the shadow immediately at its base), its impossible phantom shadow remained (see post #1).
03-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Thanks for sharing! I do love before and after processing comparisons

In the bottom left corner there is a light 'crack' that runs vertically and repeats itself. A random wall texture shouldn't repeat. If it hadn't been pointed out, or if the 'before' photo hadn't been shown (drawing attention to the edited areas), I probably wouldn't have seen it unless I spent a long time staring at the image. Once you've seen it, you can't unsee it.

The shadow is on the right, and was corrected in the final version (post #5, though the band that was added exiting the frame should be narrower). After the wall lamp that created the shadow was removed (along with the shadow immediately at its base), its impossible phantom shadow remained (see post #1).
Thanks. I see them now. Its interesting how people pay attention to details huh?
03-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
You guys have a very sharp perception and make my life that much more interesting...well spotted indeed! Here's the corrected version:

Very well done!