Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
PEF or DNG?

Please help me with one question:

I would like to use my photos for printing purpose. Should I shot Raw files as DNG or PEF?

I know that the camera NOT compress the data when it writes a DNG. This is why I'm a little attracted to use a DNG format. Then to save the file as TIFF in Pentax Laboratory.

Which is the difference between DNG and PEF regarding these files quality for printing purpose?

Thanks!

08-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The PEF compression is lossless so it doesn't matter. Not a single pixel is lost. I actually shoot in PEF in camera and convert to DNG after, which results in a smaller file that is also lossless and not a single pixel is lost. The only way it matters is if you use software that doesn't like one or the other.
08-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If shooting DNG be sure to run the files through Adobe DNG converter and add compression, it cuts the file size down to less than half usually, with no loss in quality.
08-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
If shooting DNG be sure to run the files through Adobe DNG converter and add compression, it cuts the file size down to less than half usually, with no loss in quality.
However, you should only do this if you'll only ever want to run the DNG through Adobe products. The compressed DNGs are incompatable with most other company's software.