Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Noise reduction issue with Lightroom CC. Anyone with experience on this?

So, I shot a birthday party at 1600 ISO due to a lack of flash. I had to apply some heavy noise reduction, as well as some adjustment brush in Lightroom. Well, everything looks fine in the "Develop" module, but when I'm in the "Library" module the shots are noisy. When I export them, they don't look as they do in the "Develop" module either. I have Output Sharpening turned off, and I'm exporting to 16 bit TIFFs with no resizing. What gives?

03-31-2017, 10:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vicioustuna2012 Quote
When I export them, they don't look as they do in the "Develop" module either.
This is common. Usually, I find they are underexposed. Probably a difference in output container? Or the black bars on the sides fooling your eyes? Not sure but it's a major issue for myself and others I know.
03-31-2017, 10:57 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
This is common. Usually, I find they are underexposed. Probably a difference in output container? Or the black bars on the sides fooling your eyes? Not sure but it's a major issue for myself and others I know.
I would add that there may be color space and/or monitor calibration interactions that are causing exported TIFFs to look different. It is important for the software used for viewing to support color management and also the color space designated in the export. Monitor calibration is also fairly essential.

Steve
04-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would add that there may be color space and/or monitor calibration interactions that are causing exported TIFFs to look different. It is important for the software used for viewing to support color management and also the color space designated in the export. Monitor calibration is also fairly essential.

Steve
Well, the color looks fine. It's not affected. It's only Noise reduction, Sharpening, and I think maybe the Adjustment brush settings, but that's hard to tell, because i mainly use the adjustment brush for background noise reduction masks, and it could be that it's only the overall Noise Reduction and Sharpening causing the affect of the adjustment brush to be less pronounced...does that make sense. Basically, it seems to be everything under the "Detail" settings that is affected, except maybe "Color Noise Reduction".

Also, it's not just affecting my exports. The actual "Library" module doesn't even match the "Develop" module...meaning I can zoom in 1:1 in the Develop Module, and do the same in the Library, and tab back and forth, and watch the image change from one module to the other...it's like some settings aren't being applied, or maybe the preview is wrong in the Develop module...either way, it's driving me friggin' nuts! I swear it just started happening...other than this being a bug in the software, could this be related to Hard Disk Drive health? My storage drive is becoming rather full (more than 70%)