Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2017, 07:29 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New Computer, Screen coming!

My HP desktop was purchased in 2009, and is on it's last legs.

Arriving Monday is: (Also a cool blue blacklighted keyboard, and illuminated mouse)

Attached Images

04-14-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome! Enjoy it!
04-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
My HP desktop was purchased in 2009, and is on it's last legs.

Arriving Monday is: (Also a cool blue blacklighted keyboard, and illuminated mouse)
Wow, you got great use out of the HP, Carol!

This new Lenovo looks very nice indeed, with plenty of grunt under the hood And the monitor looks great too.

Once you've got it all set up, you'll be able to relax for a few hours while all of the Windows 10 updates install
04-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Very nice, but don't forget that the slowest part of any computer system is the person using it !

I too have an H.P., known as Howard (after H. P. Lovecraft), bought second hand last year, and upgraded when I could - a 1TB drive with the OS on it, a 2TB drive for data, two satellite HDDs - a 1TB for downloaded music, a 2TB for downloaded movies. 16 GB DDR3, cheap soundcard, Radeon X1550 Graphics card, Sata Blu-Ray writer, Multi-media input card, two printers (laser & inkjet), two Canon scanners (one does negs as well as flat copies). 24" Samsung VGA monitor, cheapo-cheapo wireless keyboard and mouse (I seem to get through them at about two per year !). Oh, and a Sony mini-hifi attached to the sound card for good quality sound through Mission speakers.

All running happily on Windows 7.

Total cost - probably in the region of £250-£300, almost all pre-owned. And I almost felt guilty spending that when there are so many lenses that need rescuing from a life of sin.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 04-14-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Forgot something ! Senior moment.
04-14-2017, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice system, but I'm sure I'll be more than happy with the one I have coming.
04-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Wow, you got great use out of the HP, Carol!

This new Lenovo looks very nice indeed, with plenty of grunt under the hood And the monitor looks great too.

Once you've got it all set up, you'll be able to relax for a few hours while all of the Windows 10 updates install
Thanks Mike! I'm really excited to get the new system. Yes, I definitely got my money's worth out of the HP! I was still using Vista, and MS has discontinued support now on Vista.

I'm a little nervous about Windows 10, as it surely will be much different from what I'm used to, but times change, so must I!
04-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Awesome! Enjoy it!
John, thank you! I'll be glad when it's all setup and ready to go, with all my files transferred over!

04-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

I'm a little nervous about Windows 10, as it surely will be much different from what I'm used to, but times change, so must I!
It's not so hard :-) The look is geared toward touch-screen tablets, but you can ignore or minimize that (literally). It has increased functionality and usability, though.
04-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice system, but I'm sure I'll be more than happy with the one I have coming.
I'm sure you will, I meant no dis-respect - just a personal comparison between spending money to stay at home (computer) or get out and about (lenses) !
04-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, I've found Windows 10 to be excellent so far, Carol. There were a few driver issues very early on, but generally it's great. I think you'll like it
04-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I'm sure you will, I meant no dis-respect - just a personal comparison between spending money to stay at home (computer) or get out and about (lenses) !
Not to worry! I wish I had the expertise to add computer components, but alas I have very little computer knowledge, at all; self taught by an idiot!

While I would love more lenses, I had no choice here, the HP was getting very slow, and starting to freeze up more often. 8 years on a very basic machine served me well.
04-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It's not so hard :-) The look is geared toward touch-screen tablets, but you can ignore or minimize that (literally). It has increased functionality and usability, though.
Thanks! I'm reading up now, on how to customize the look, etc.
04-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Actually, I've found Windows 10 to be excellent so far, Carol. There were a few driver issues very early on, but generally it's great. I think you'll like it
Thanks Mack! I'm hoping I don't run into driver, etc., problems!
04-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Grats on the purchase!

You really did great getting the most out of that old system, and this one is also sensible.
04-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Carol! I look forward to learning your impressions on the ViewSonic display. I have a 2-year-old ViewSonic 22-inch IPS LED model that has been great, but with a new computer in the family, we'll be buying another display soon. I've been thinking of getting a larger VS display for more room to do side-by-side work, so your views will be welcome.