Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2017, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to reduce purple fringing?

I have read many times that purple fringing (PF) can be reduced in software, but I've never read an explanation of how. Is there a standard way of doing it?

This leaf is showing a bit of PF:

Ginkgo biloba
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

04-29-2017, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Rob, I hope this helps mate.

How to Fix Chromatic Aberration (Purple Fringing) | Lightroom Tips
04-29-2017, 04:12 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I do it in Photoshop Elements with the clone tool set on Color. Chose a brush size, then just move the clone tool along the edge where the PF shows up. That's how I do it. Other's opinions, work flow may differ.

I thought I read in the forums that LR/PS now has a way to remove the fringing automatically, but since I don't own or use those softwares, I can't tell you how.
04-29-2017, 04:27 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

If you shot raw (dng or pef), you have some sort of PP software already installed. Most of them have a tool to reduce PF. I only know Lightroom, you just have to go to Develop module, then on of the tabs on the bottom right where you can do lens corrections. There is a double menu, first one shows distortion and CA, the next one is dedicated to Purple fringing.

If you shot jpg and you dont have a raw software (Silky Pix, Lightroom, RawTherapee, FastStone,..) then you need to use something like Photoshop (or Gimp?). I would recommend you do a color search selection for the particular shade of the fringing. Then you layer that thing. Next you copy the layer. You Desaturate both of them, then you Blur one a little and lower that layer'sOpacity. With the non-blurred one you play with Brightness to make the transition as seamless as possible. Haven't done it in a long time, though. Lightroom makes it pretty easy.

Also, its good to remove all kinds of fringing and CA before you start the other PP. I think LR and other raw softwares have the correct order already built in, but things like Photoshop leave that up to the user.

04-29-2017, 04:44 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Thanks! Cool that Lightroom has a built-in feature for it. Unfortunately I don't use Lightroom, but it was educational all the same. I should have specified what software I use, but I was interested in knowing what other people use. There is a PF removal feature in Paintshop Pro in the "Adjust" menu but on this image at least, it doesn't seem to have any effect.

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I do it in Photoshop Elements with the clone tool set on Color. Chose a brush size, then just move the clone tool along the edge where the PF shows up. That's how I do it. Other's opinions, work flow may differ.
I thought I read in the forums that LR/PS now has a way to remove the fringing automatically, but since I don't own or use those softwares, I can't tell you how.
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. There's a colour mode for the clone tool in Paintshop Pro, but I'll have to figure out how to use it. In the meantime, I just tried DxO Pro Optics. For some reason with this image, the PF tool in it doesn't seem to do anything at all. Aha - I had tried the PF removal in PSP on the jpeg produced by DxO. If I use it on the jpeg produced by the camera, it does have an effect, but in this case the effect isn't worth it.

I checked and Chromatic Aberration removal is set on in the K3. Honestly I don't think that the PF in this image is too bad. I was just curious what people use to try to eliminate it.
04-29-2017, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Rob,

I'm not familiar with the functions within Paintshop Pro, but does it have a colour pallete adjustment panel at all?

Looking at this image I don't see any magentas or purples other that the fringing so an option might be to desaturate the purple and magenta channels until the purple hue disappears.

If PSP works like I'd expect it will only target those two colour channels thus leaving the yellows greens and blues as they are. Hopefully PSP has sliders to adjust the saturation level by colour as you probably won't need to completely remove those colours completely to address the problem you have with this image.

Hope this suggestion helps.

Tas
04-29-2017, 05:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Using a dedicated photography oriented program aimed at photographic work flows instead of a generic photo editing program aimed at editing in great detail, making specific tasks rather circumstantial would help. Basically what de-fringing does is selecting a certain colour bandwidth and desaturate it. Purple or green (or sometimes red to orange and blue depending on the lens) becomes grey .This can have an effect on legitimate instances of the colour in the photo.

04-29-2017, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I think you will find that PSP has a the ability to remove CA either auto or manual. In the Lens Correction panel? It may depend on the version.
04-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

You're doing it the hard way for sure. In Lightroom it is a simple checkbox. Instantly gone. No brushes, no clone tools, no hassles. It has been that way in LR for years and years.

Of course you can get into the advanced settings where there is also a simple slider for purple and green (which you can select bounds based on hue). But even that is far more easier than going into PSE and doing it manually.

LR also instantly handles optical distortion and lens vignetting too with a simple checkbox. Based off of profiles for your particular lens..

I still use a PS editor for removing haloing when it occurs in a similar way as you do for fringing. So I know its a lot of work comparatively!
04-29-2017, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
In Lightroom it is a simple checkbox.
I don't have or use Lightroom. And don't want to either.
04-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

I don't have or use Lightroom. And don't want to either.
Join us! It is sooooo nice to have a catalog and instant editing controls. I also own PSE so I know how it is. Nice for single shot editing.. And LR syncs with PSE so you can send images from LR to PSE and save back to LR. It's smart!

I had several people, at work, adamant that they didn't want multiple computer displays after seeing my 3 screen setup. Said it looked too confusing and why would anyone ever want so many screens?!

Until they tried it themselves.. now they all have multiple screen setups and say they don't know how they worked with just one.

Don't know what you're missing until you try it! With software this is a pretty safe journey...
04-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What is having three monitors got to do with whether I like Lightroom or not. I tried it, didn't like it and can't afford another bill at this time.
04-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax included Silkypix software has a "Color Fringe Correction" option that works pretty well. Aftersnot Pro from Corel under Lens Correction has a section "Chromatic Aberration Correction". From there you have sliders for two different color sets of fringing "R/C" and "B/Y".
04-29-2017, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I just tried DxO Pro Optics. For some reason with this image, the PF tool in it doesn't seem to do anything at all.
That's my experience too. It's such a good program that I assume that I am doing something wrong. Any advice from DxO users welcome.
04-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Btw, which lens were you using? Some older lenses, especially with poor coatings but sharp optics, tend to fringe a lot. There are some other factors as well, but I have read somewhere that a strong UV filter and a tight lens hood can minimize the appearance Purple fringing in the first place.