Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2017, 03:21 AM   #16
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Actually the report is WRONG. The letter I got from Adobe said that the price was changing from AU$11.99 to AU$12.99. It is certainly not a 250% jump.
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
In the UK for the CC Photography Plan which includes Photoshop CC 2017 and Lightroom the current cost is £10.10 per month. Starting in 2013 this plan (if memory serves) came in at around £8.10, therefore over 4 years the cost has increased by 24.7%
I'm not sure if you read the article properly but yes, the photography plan is cheaper than the full CC suite and as this is a predominantly photography focused forum it is to be expected that the main interest for members is only Photoshop and/or Lightroom, unlike the subscription referenced in the article.

So long as you're happy with your decision then kewl, but I for one don't like paying more for a product just for living in a particular part of the world; YMMV. Having had the opportunity to pay more on items for living in Oz I understand why this article was written, hence my apparently poor decision in choosing to share it.

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
without referring to the published prices or any other data
I didn't receive the letter mentioned in the article so hopefully they're not fibbing, but as anyone can go to the Adobe webpage to see the current price you can check it yourself, and if you want to check, the Oz/US exchange rate history is only a Google search away. I do however agree the article would have more credibility if they'd included a bit of supporting info themselves.

Right, so let's get back to the discussion on health care as that's why we're all here apparently.

05-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
So long as you're happy with your decision then kewl, but I for one don't like paying more for a product just for living in a particular part of the world
This has been the way of the world since forever. Fuel, cars, CDs, clothes, cameras, jut about everything has different prices in different places. Some you win, some you lose. I pay more for fuel than most, but less for cider and cheddar cheese. The Japanese would cry if they saw the price of a K-1 in our shops, and if you flew to Germany a BMW would be half the price. A 3 bedroom townhouse in Paris would cost 1000x that of one in Accra. Even digital downloads like iTunes have different real-terms prices in different locations.

There is really no such thing as 'A Price', only a value...it all depends what people will pay and what competition there is.
05-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
The #1 cause of personal bankruptcy in the USA is Medical Debt, but it's definitely a 1st world problem! Meanwhile, we get CC (PS & LR) for $9.99 USD a month! And so it goes.
$120 per year...which is less than my out of pocket cost last time I went to the doctor...
05-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #19
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
This has been the way of the world since forever.
Yep, and price gouging is price gouging so please don't apologise for them.

05-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if you read the article properly but yes, the photography plan is cheaper than the full CC suite and as this is a predominantly photography focused forum it is to be expected that the main interest for members is only Photoshop and/or Lightroom, unlike the subscription referenced in the article.

So long as you're happy with your decision then kewl, but I for one don't like paying more for a product just for living in a particular part of the world; YMMV. Having had the opportunity to pay more on items for living in Oz I understand why this article was written, hence my apparently poor decision in choosing to share it. ...
It may just be me but why the attitude to someone that merely questioned if the presented figures were correct ?

Regardless full CC suite or just the photography plan I would expect percentage increases to be similar 25% perhaps considered reasonable by some but 250% outrageous. In this thread Australian tax mentioned, implying that this is a large contributory factor in the huge hike in price?

If 250% is the way of it then using that as history there may be reason to believe that in a few years time you will have seen 1000+% increases and Adobe no longer has any market left in Australia and the tax office lost revenue.

In any event I can empathise with your plight.
05-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Tas,

My Adobe Monthly Subscription has Incresed from A$11.99 to A$13.19 , I too received the Email 2 days ago , effective as off 5th of June 2017.

I went online with Adobe and expressed my concern and Adobe consultant, in which he agreed to offer me 3 Months Free Subscription.

Regards Khosrow

Last edited by disco_owner; 05-06-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Grammer
05-06-2017, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this thread. It helps me resist. I've been using mostly open source a relatively long time. Gimp this whole century so far and mostly Rawtherapee since 2008 except for dabblings with other apps like Lightzone and Darktable. I've played with LR/PS betas in the past but never wanted to pay and CC sealed the deal for me to not dive in. Recently and to my surprise I've been experiencing some serious temptation to LR thanks to some impressive how-to stuff I've watched on youtube. RT is great but definitely not as much of a one stop shop at LR's level. If I was a pro, I'd probably jump. Good thing I'm an unprofessional.

05-06-2017, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It may just be me but why the attitude to someone that merely questioned if the presented figures were correct ?

Regardless full CC suite or just the photography plan I would expect percentage increases to be similar 25% perhaps considered reasonable by some but 250% outrageous. In this thread Australian tax mentioned, implying that this is a large contributory factor in the huge hike in price?

If 250% is the way of it then using that as history there may be reason to believe that in a few years time you will have seen 1000+% increases and Adobe no longer has any market left in Australia and the tax office lost revenue.

In any event I can empathise with your plight.
There's no attitude mate, but the post made by you and the preceding poster discussed the Photography Plan, not the total CC package referenced in the article. I can understand this so I acknowledged that people in this forum would be more interested in the targetted package for photographers, and acknowledged that I should, as the OP, have stressed this difference when creating the post. They are two different products and pricing for each varies accordingly. When your comments challeneged the article I took that onboard and checked the Oz/US$ exchange rate history for the relevant period and checked current pricinc on the adobe site. The pricing listed in the article seems consistent when you combine the information from both sources.

I also checked the Oz Tax office (ATO) website for the changes in GST collection and from this I don't understand why Adobe are adding GST when the relevant legislation changes with effect 01 July 2017. The person in the article should be asking about this as they're being billed by Adobe on 09 May 2017. This adds a further 10% to the cost though don't know why this is if the legislation takes effect nearly two months after the billing transaction.

What I think Adobe has done is initially market their full CC suite at a very good price point and now that many have bought into it are pushing the price back up. I mean it was always an expensive package to buy so now the honeymoon is over Adobe look to be returning to status quo for their product. It's a clever thing to do, and large businesses and maybe many pros are not going to be too concerned no doubt but individual users and small businesses will see it differently. Like the subject in the linked article.

I don't believe Adobe are oblivious to the market and I agree their prices are likely to increase further but smart businesses understand where the market is and what it's prepared to pay. I don't think they will be struggling anytime soon as their products are truly very good and with Photoshop there is no real peer.

Hopefully there's no feelings of animosity from my cumbersome attempts to clarify some points in my earlier post. That was certainly not my intent.

Tas

---------- Post added 05-07-17 at 10:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Thanks for this thread. It helps me resist. I've been using mostly open source a relatively long time. Gimp this whole century so far and mostly Rawtherapee since 2008 except for dabblings with other apps like Lightzone and Darktable. I've played with LR/PS betas in the past but never wanted to pay and CC sealed the deal for me to not dive in. Recently and to my surprise I've been experiencing some serious temptation to LR thanks to some impressive how-to stuff I've watched on youtube. RT is great but definitely not as much of a one stop shop at LR's level. If I was a pro, I'd probably jump. Good thing I'm an unprofessional.
You can still buy LR6 as a stand alone. It doesn't have all of the CC bells and whistles but they still provide updates to it so maybe one to keep on the list. I can't vouch for tis one but here's another stand alone option that seems to have some good automation tools for panos etc: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

If you don't want to pay for a product right now there's a limited offer for On1 FX 10.5. This can be used as an Adobe plug-in or as a stand alone product. It's a very good tool that uses presets or your own adjustments and FREE is an awesome price.

ON1 Effects 10.5 Giveaway

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 05-06-2017 at 05:38 PM.
05-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Hopefully there's no feelings of animosity from my cumbersome attempts to clarify some points in my earlier post. That was certainly not my intent....
No feelings of animosity at all and it's is clear that it was not your intent to show attitude, but rather my wrong interpretation of the reply.

For that I apologise and can only try and justify it by saying that I must have been put out by someone suggesting that their country was subject to price gouging when I believed that us poms had the sole rights to this sort of treatment

Seriously, thanks for going to the trouble of your detailed reply.

FWIW, a quick check of UK price for full CC rental £548.78 p.a. equal to A$960.61 according to net exchange rate !!!!
Strewth I wonder what increase we have had since 2013
05-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #25
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No feelings of animosity at all and it's is clear that it was not your intent to show attitude, but rather my wrong interpretation of the reply.

For that I apologise and can only try and justify it by saying that I must have been put out by someone suggesting that their country was subject to price gouging when I believed that us poms had the sole rights to this sort of treatment

Seriously, thanks for going to the trouble of your detailed reply.

FWIW, a quick check of UK price for full CC rental £548.78 p.a. equal to A$960.61 according to net exchange rate !!!!
Strewth I wonder what increase we have had since 2013
No apology needed mate, well, not unless you win the Ashes.

You can keep those prices too BTW meanwhile I'm off to see if I can buy some Adobe shares.

Tas
05-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On1 FX 10.5.
I'm quite happy with RT. it gets better and better all the time and I can do anything with it and gimp that I could do in LR. I just think LR ultimately could get the jobs done more easily.. I've also been meaning to try On1 because there's been a script in the latest Partha builds of Gimp 2.9 to send the current layer to that app, so that could be really useful and has had me curious for a while now..
05-07-2017, 03:11 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I like RT because it offers the necessary tools without giving the user the ability to clone things in and out, an ability I find offensive in photography. I am occasionally tempted to the Wallet-Enslaving Devil Program by the ability to apply local changes with a brush. Then I am reminded of all the companies that got hacked and all the credit card details that get stolen when these hacks occur, and the fewer of these companies I feel obliged to trust, the better.
05-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I like RT because it offers the necessary tools without giving the user the ability to clone things in and out, an ability I find offensive in photography. I am occasionally tempted to the Wallet-Enslaving Devil Program by the ability to apply local changes with a brush. Then I am reminded of all the companies that got hacked and all the credit card details that get stolen when these hacks occur, and the fewer of these companies I feel obliged to trust, the better.
My only use of cloning is dust removal when I don't see a big hairy dust mote until too late! Lol.
05-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A USD can buy an Australian dollar for US .74 right now.

In 2014 an Australian dollar cost .93 US.

So from Adobe's perspective, at current Aus price of 13 Australian dollars it's making 9.62 US dollars, while in 2014 it was making 11.16 off 12 Australian dollars.

For the whole shebang it's A696, so US515 now.

In 2014 it was A360, US equivalent US338.

Not sure about the tax, but apparently 10%? But I'm still having trouble finding 250% in there somewhere. Also, I dunno if the full CC went up (I do know that in 2014 in the US the first year was always cheaper, but I can't remember if that was an incentive for upgraders, etc, so maybe that figure for the 2014 cost in Australia was just anecdotal from one user.

In the US it's currently US600, so if you dropped in and bought here it's A800 or so. Which is what it shows on the web page here. Dunno if there's tax on that. That's the same price here in the US it has been, minus any discounts.

BTW, currency figures from X-Rate, http://www.x-rates.com/historical/?from=AUD&amount=1&date=2014-05-07

Last edited by Oakland Rob; 05-07-2017 at 02:20 PM.