Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2017, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adobe CC Oz price increase of 250% since 2014

A number of years ago I decided to opt for the stand alone versions of Photoshop and Lightroom though I could see the advantage of the CC pricing when comparing the upgrade costs I'd paid going from Photoshop CS4 to CS6 and LR2 to LR6. However I knew that an ongoing subscription model was a business model for increasing profits so expected that CC costs would increase over time. Indeed this is the case and the next Oz increase is due in about a month.

In this article: Adobe Has Raised Creative Cloud Prices In Australia By Almost 250% Since 2014 | Gizmodo Australia the person reporting the latest price updates is referring to a letter talking about exchange rates. This is of course all rubbish and an excuse to price gouge people over here, something that downloads and streaming should have resolved.

As good a program as Photoshop is, I'm glad I'm not on the CC roundabout and contented with the fact that many new software solutions are now available that rival a lot of Photoshop's capabilities. I don't think any alternatives can do what Photoshop does yet, and it will no doubt remain the benchmark program for many years to come, but Adobe won't be seeing anymore of my money.

05-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It is expensive... But I just switched to Lightroom. I just reached a point where I was using 4 different programs to process my photos and just couldn't do it anymore. I get better results faster in Lightroom. The other advantage is the abundance of tutorials. Rawtherapee might be great, but I found only a couple of tutorials in English...
05-04-2017, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

It's all a money racket. That's why I switched to GIMP and RawTherapee.
05-04-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still cheap here. Weird how different it is. I pay far less for Adobe CC on a year than I do for DXO yearly updates.

05-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just bought the Elements 15 DVD, and I am done. I had a few versions between 6-13, and though V13 did all I need, I had no backup disk.
05-05-2017, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I don't think any alternatives can do what Photoshop does yet, and it will no doubt remain the benchmark program for many years to come, but Adobe won't be seeing anymore of my money.
That's probably my situation as well, except possibly for elements if they build something exciting into it. I've learned to never say never. For now, Faststone, CS6, LR6, & Raw Therapee do what I need, and probably will for years. I've not touched the surface of what they can do.

I'm not confident enough in the US economy to purchase anything but a stand alone product. The US debt and printing of money will likely lead to a big correction sooner or later. Hopefully later. Historically, no nation with our debt load has evaded hyperinflation and the problems that go with it.

The problem with renting software is that there is no software (or severely limited) if one's financial situation gets bad and one has to stop renting. Are there features that CC has/will have that I will want? Undoubtedly. But I don't want to become dependent on something that I may not be able to afford in the future. That's a shame, because, as you say, it is the benchmark program at present.
05-05-2017, 03:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
It's all a money racket.
I'm sure that if the big-name professional photographers stood up and did something about it, they could probably bring a class action that would force Adobe to go back to offering a stand-alone. Trouble is, their income more than pays for it and the cost of it can be written off on their taxes, so there's no incentive (probably a disincentive, actually) for them to take action.

05-05-2017, 07:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually the report is WRONG. The letter I got from Adobe said that the price was changing from AU$11.99 to AU$12.99. It is certainly not a 250% jump.

Regards

Chris
05-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just purchased the entire student suite for my daughter. She is getting into it pretty fast. So I bit the bullet and got the whole package. 19.99/mo for the first year and 29.99/mo after that. I am defiantly not complaining when she has access to everything CC.
05-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Are you sure that this is truly a 250% (242%) hike and the figures presented are actually correct?

In the UK for the CC Photography Plan which includes Photoshop CC 2017 and Lightroom the current cost is £10.10 per month. Starting in 2013 this plan (if memory serves) came in at around £8.10, therefore over 4 years the cost has increased by 24.7%

I know there are/can be some major differences applied by companies over the world market (what the market can stand comes to mind) but more than 25% sound quite wrong and certainly unreasonable
05-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The US Dollar is quite strong at the moment, however I don't know how it fares against the AU Dollar, which is what you're buying it in...but unless you're in the middle of an almighty economic depression, I doubt it accounts for the full amount. I also doubt very much that the standard subscription for everyone has gone up by that amount. The fact that the report talks only about the invoices of one individual, without referring to the published prices or any other data, makes me skeptical about its veracity.

Either way, I'm sticking to my standalone LR6 for the foreseeable.
05-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The great Australian 'tax' hits again.
05-05-2017, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
The great Australian 'tax' hits again.
But Donald Trump just praised the Australian health care system
05-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But Donald Trump just praised the Australian health care system
That's bizarre. Praises what he is abolishing: universal healthcare. How can ANY politician be against THAT?

My mum is being treated for cancer right now in a small public hospital in a regional town. The standard of care and medical technology even at a small regional hospital is really high. If she was in the States she probably would have been dead by now. The US is the ONLY OECD country where people go bankrupt paying medical bills. That is like living in a third world country.
05-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
If she was in the States she probably would have been dead by now. The US is the ONLY OECD country where people go bankrupt paying medical bills. That is like living in a third world country.
I live in the US and work in the health care industry.

I'd appreciate it if you stop commenting about a country and an exceedingly complex health care system that you obviously know very little about!!

Third world country"? Bull Sh#t ! If the USA is so bad, why are millions of people doing whatever they can to get in here, legaly or illegally?