Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Epson Stylus Photo 1400

Simplifying: I used an R220 for desk work and a Stylus Pro 3880 for large prints. Well, my little 220 has finally died and I have used the 3880 so little that the inks are not working well, even after cleaning the heads a few times. At $53 something each, replacing 9 cartridges is out of the question. Looking at the 1400 and I see the inks are similar (maybe better) but there is only one black ink.

Any comments?

05-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Simplifying: I used an R220 for desk work and a Stylus Pro 3880 for large prints. Well, my little 220 has finally died and I have used the 3880 so little that the inks are not working well, even after cleaning the heads a few times. At $53 something each, replacing 9 cartridges is out of the question. Looking at the 1400 and I see the inks are similar (maybe better) but there is only one black ink.

Any comments?
Can't speak for the quality of any of those printers, but the first difference that jumps to my eyes is your 3880 uses pigment-based inks whereas the 1400 uses dye-based inks.
Dye inks were usually more prone to fading, although jury's out on whether this is still the case (probably so, but with a better-looking timeframe than a few years ago).
Pigment inks OTOH might be more prone to clogging the heads if not used with enough frequency and also cost more, though if your prints will be on display or are meant to be sold, I'd stick to them.
05-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment. I will investigate that. My typing was betrayed in this post: It is a 1430. Thanks again.
05-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Canon Pro-1 so cannot comment on the Epson but I have found that unless I use the Canon frequently (as in weekly at least, daily preferably) it runs a cleaning cycle which uses up a lot of ink. My cartridges are about $35 each so replacing 12 is a large expense.

I guess my point is that for any inkjet unless it is used a lot you end up with clogged heads and wasted inks. So you should evaluate the convenience of having your own printer against the cost and compare it to getting large prints done at MPIX or Bay Photo or other lab. I get 16 x 20 and up prints done at MPIX at a very reasonable cost and get delivery usually in less than 4 days. I do print a lot of photo cards and if it was not for that I think I would do away with printing myself and just order from the lab.

05-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
jatrax: Photo cards are what I am working on now. I think your suggestion for outsourcing the prints is well worth considering. Thanks.
05-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have used an older clara (6) ink printer--same inks as the 1430--and have no problem not printing for a few months. Been so for about 8 years. Only once had to clean the head. These inks compare well to high end Epson pigment ink printers--for matte prints. I use them to check/accept larger 2'x3' prints. I cannot say about glossy paper. As to longevity, about a decade and fine--but that is not a test.
05-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have experience with both the Epson 1400, and the 1430,
We had a 1400 for about 3-years, and it worked pretty well, it was our only printer, my wife makes greeting cards from her artwork, she runs a fair amount through it, in volume, but sporadically. Never had much of a clogging issue with it. We also used it for everyday printing, my son's homework, etc.
It suddenly bricked up one day, shortly after buying new ink. After a web search we found it's a semi-common occurance with them. With a healthy investment in ink in the house, we looked for other options, but the 1430, seemed to be the answer. It takes the same inks, and the cost of the new printer as not unreasonable.
it's nice to have a printer that can print up to 13-inches wide, and also can print on CD-roms, if you need it.
It handles thicker stock well, my wife runs watercolor paper through it for some of her art work.
It's been running for about 18-months now, and seems to be better than the 1400 was. Holding my breath when we approach the 3-year mark with it though.
We've been through Epsons. HPs, my Dad has a Canon, ink-jets don't seem to last, if you get 5-years out of them they are doing pretty well.

We got ours from B&H

05-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Never really had problems with Epsons. I used to sell them at staples when I worked there. The only real standout issues were failed units coming from specific countries. The inks for epson switched over to archival / water resistant back in '02. I have never cared for the idea of individual color tank printers as they get pricey to maintain. If you intend on keeping an inkjet/bubblejet long term, it's a good idea to have it cleaned every 2 years or so (usually wiping the rollers down with strong rubbing alcohol, and having the ink sponge and trap cleaned (this is where all the print head cleaning ink sprays to). As an aside, these days you have to watch. ALL of the printer manufacturers now add chips to their ink tanks that will refuse to work after a set date from manufacture that is hard encoded into those chips (in newer printers that have that ability), so if you consider a new printer be very careful to mind manufacture dates for both printer (in case of the starter cartridges) and cartridges (stock does not get rotated out). Older printers that do not check for chips will still function just fine.