Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2017, 04:30 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Rawtherapee 5.1 released!

Great news for pentaxians, finally "RAWTHERAPEE 5.1 RELEASED!"

"Pentax Pixel Shift support, to automatically combine sub-images from a Pentax Pixel Shift raw file into one high quality image, with support for automatic motion detection and masking." Anyone has tried it?

Who wants to try it, here are the links:

RawTherapee - The libre, cross-platform raw photo developer

RawTherapee - The libre, cross-platform raw photo developer

Some comments are welcome.

Thanks mario

Last edited by maw; 05-18-2017 at 04:46 PM.
05-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"Support for processing any sub-image from raw formats which support multiple images. Currently up to 4 sub-images supported."

I presume that means it can handle Pentax RAW HDR files?
05-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Paul,

I think the reference is based on the fact that in the Pixel shift we have four images filtered through the Red-Blue-Green-Green channels in a Raw file, (so they are sub-images)
that then make up the original one, no more than one image like In traditional photography), I do not know if my interpretation is correct,
I have not yet tried to install it and see what it is capable of.

Thanks for the replica, Mario
05-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Just downloaded and installed it. Thanks for the heads-up!

05-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi E-man,

Then you tell if it works... better than ACR or DCU5

Ciao Mario
05-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I'm a delighted Linux user.
Seems to do a good job - took some quick test shots with & without PS and seeing more detail with PS images. So it at least works.
05-18-2017, 10:58 PM   #7
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi kiwi_jono,

I hope it works well everywhere, I've read that some users with windows 10 can't open or view the images. Then we will deepen it if it works well on all OS.

Well, next. Mario

05-19-2017, 02:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
"Support for processing any sub-image from raw formats which support multiple images. Currently up to 4 sub-images supported."

I believe it can read those images fine and maybe separate out the three different RAW files that those contain, but I don't believe it has a function to process them together into a single TIFF image.

The pixel shift feature does work really well. I have been using it for some time and it definitely produces excellent results with more tweakability than is found with DCU.
05-19-2017, 03:51 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
As Rondec already wrote: You can read and process any of the three subimages of a Pentax RAW HDR file, but you can not stack them in RawTherapee. That will follow later. Maybe with 5.2 or 5.3
05-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all pentaxians,

From what I read, the work done by Rawtherapee 5.1 seems to me very, very good. Who wants to read the various steps and improvements at this address, Here

Greetings, Mario
05-19-2017, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #11

Big thanks to all the users of Pentax Pixel Shift capable cameras from here and from other forums. Without your help providing Pixel Shift raw files and giving feedback on RT development branches it would not have been possible to implement Pixel Shift with motion detection in RawTherapee at all !!!

Ingo
05-19-2017, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a couple of links to threads that may be interesting.

The Squirrel Mafia's RawTherapee thread. Now with 50% more excellence & win! - PentaxForums.com this is the thread where I first got exposed to Raw Therapee and there are a lot of tips there.

Pixel Shifted Images - PentaxForums.com is a specific thread with pixel shift images and many of the later ones are processed with Raw Therapee. I know it is my main processor for any image which has motion in it and I shot pixel shifted.
05-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heckflosse Quote
Big thanks to all the users of Pentax Pixel Shift capable cameras from here and from other forums. Without your help providing Pixel Shift raw files and giving feedback on RT development branches it would not have been possible to implement Pixel Shift with motion detection in RawTherapee at all !!!

Ingo
Ingo, my thanks goes retrospectively also to Gabor who after much consideration and with incredible foresight made the right decision such a long time ago and opened up the source code for such a wonderful community to develop around it. I included RT in my PCLinuxOS DPE (Digital Photography Editon) after a very respectful and kind email exchange between us back in 2007 - I think I predicted his software seed would grow into a big tree back then. Still look back on those days with a smile on my face.
05-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Ingo, my thanks goes retrospectively also to Gabor who after much consideration and with incredible foresight made the right decision such a long time ago and opened up the source code for such a wonderful community to develop around it. I included RT in my PCLinuxOS DPE (Digital Photography Editon) after a very respectful and kind email exchange between us back in 2007 - I think I predicted his software seed would grow into a big tree back then. Still look back on those days with a smile on my face.
I use rt since version 2.4 and I followed that process (to go the Open-Source way) at that time. But I started contributing to RT much later in 2013 :-)
05-19-2017, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been using PS feature of Raw Therapee for months now. It has features for pixel shift that no other raw editor with a GUI can match.

There are many features for PS, but the two most heipful to me are: 1) Can see the areas affected by motion blur, 2) Can choose which of the four subimages to use in the areas affected by motion blur.

I did a pixel shift stack on a flower a couple weeks ago. I shot outside with intermittent light breeze. Most of the RAWs had some degree of motion. While most of the sub images were similar in quality, a few of the RAWs only had one usable sub image, and many had one that was better than the others. Without Raw Therapee to choose the best subimage, the stack would not be viewable at actual pixels. While I could have used DCRawPS to extract all four images from each raw, evaluated, then stacked, Raw Therapee made things so much easier. I use pixel shift and RT for most my stacks now, especially outdoor stacks, as it's four chances (images) per RAW to get it right! And you get the expanded DR as a bonus.