Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2017, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please retouch this for me and let me know how you do it! Thanks

I am really an amateur at retouching! Never been patient enough to go through any course on the subject in length. I would like to know what can be done really with one of my photos! This will let me know if it's really worth going through a course myself sometimes. I am sharing this photo in DNG. Anyone here can retouch it as they wish AS LONG AS THEY SHARE THE RESULT BACK IN TIFF format. If you are generous enough to explain the procedure of how you came to such a result, it will be even most welcomed. Thanks a lot in advance:

Dropbox - Rouma in Pamplemousses-4948.dng

05-23-2017, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a few processes.First, I adjusted the Highlights, Midtones and Shadows to improve the tone rendition saturation and contrast some. Next, I adjusted the brightness and contrast. Next, I did a bit of burning around the face and sky, just above the face. Finally, I cloned away some artifacts (bright spot behind the arm, shine on the cheek bone). This all took about 5-10 minutes, tops.

For a better image, use your lens hood. Get one if you do not have it. The problem with this image was light, from above and behind the subject, shining on the front of the lens (commonly called lens flare).
Attached Images

05-23-2017, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neel1 Quote
I am really an amateur at retouching! Never been patient enough to go through any course on the subject in length. I would like to know what can be done really with one of my photos! This will let me know if it's really worth going through a course myself sometimes. I am sharing this photo in DNG. Anyone here can retouch it as they wish AS LONG AS THEY SHARE THE RESULT BACK IN TIFF format. If you are generous enough to explain the procedure of how you came to such a result, it will be even most welcomed. Thanks a lot in advance:

Dropbox - Rouma in Pamplemousses-4948.dng
I just opened the image in RawTherapee, using the AMAZE profile. Added a bit of contrast and saturation. Here's a jpeg rendering, but I have a tiff file as well. You might think about cropping some of the blown highlights at the top of the image.

cropped:

Last edited by paulh; 05-23-2017 at 11:11 AM.
05-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Can you upload a JPG of the original as well (for us suckers viewing on mobile phones :P)?

05-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm not a post-processing wiz, but here's my shot at it.
Attached Images

05-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I did not see you wanted a TIFF. Here it is.

As for classes, once you know the basics you really just need to get in and retouch. It is the best way to teach and then if you take a class you are already ahead of the game a bit, knowing where different tools are, how to sue them, etc.

Regards,
05-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I developed your photo in Sikypix pro 8
here is the link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2fl740wykkhzas6/AACYgVYNH-wpQKeXuSJX-IKra?dl=0

05-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OOPS- the upload module says the Tiff is an invalid file when I try to upload it. Oh well, the JPG is posted.
05-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Again but in Tiff format Link: Dropbox - Rouma in Pamplemousses-4948t_01122016.jpg
Procedure: minus 0,80 EV
contrast + 0.30
Dyn.range + 3.0 EV
Memorycolor 1
05-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even if you're not using lightroom, browsing the myriad instructional web pages and videos for it will teach you much about how to set about "pp-ing" your images. The fact is the essential functionality of the varous software packages is very similar, you just need to familiarise with the one you use and how it labels and implements the various tools.
There is a French guy who posts lots of very good pp-ing videos, can't remember his name...
As a starter, faststone is free and has a decent tool set. I use it all the time most particularly for quick and easy cropping, resizing and final sharpening of jpg's. It's brightening of shadows works well - use that often on pics of lenses. Not so happy with exposure adjust - lightroom has exposure slider and histogram manipulation, faststone just levels adjust.
05-23-2017, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
a) Open dng in PS (CS6). In Camera Raw window, note adjustments made in attached screenshot.
b) In Photoshop note adjustments made in Levels on right side of histogram.
c) Cropped dead space and reframed to make subject less centered.
d) Burned background.
e) Duplicate layer->Filter->Other->High Pass. 3 pixels, then in layer window change 'Normal' to 'Overlay'. Command E to merge layer down.

Honestly, good post-processing takes patience. They say there are 4 levels of learning:
a) Unconscious incompetency: We don't know we're bad at something.
b) Conscious incompetency: We realize what we don't know or can't do yet.
c) Conscious competency: We know how to do things, but we have to think about it.
d) Unconscious competency: You no longer have to think about what you're doing and how. It comes naturally and others think you just have 'talent'.

We all have to go through these stages, whether it's photography, skipping stones, or riding a unicycle. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Alex645; 03-01-2018 at 12:16 PM.
05-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a GUBgo. Raw developed in Darktable edited in Gimp. Of course can only post jpg here so state if you want a dropbox link.
Attached Images

05-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

.............?

Last edited by wildman; 05-25-2017 at 03:02 PM.
05-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I love backlit situations, Neel, but you definitely had light entering the lens robbing contrast.

You can either try to fight that in post (extra clarity, contrast, vignette, et al) to get back some punch:

or go with it to make it retro dreamy:

But to be honest, you're better off on the day shooting again with a hood or slightly different camera position!
05-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #15
Imp
Pentaxian

This is mine. Adobe Camera Raw, Added Dehaze +76 and brushed some clarity onto the eyes. That just the basics to fix the haze, I think it looks good after that! Besides perhaps framing, etc.

The tiff is in the dropboxlink
Dropbox - Rouma in Pamplemousses-4948.TIF

PForums compression once again wrecks havoc on the color, check out the Tif for the proper version
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D7100  Photo