Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #16

How much RAM do you have on your system. As Adam suggests allocate more to Photoshop. If you have boatloads of memory consider using a RAM drive for your scratch drive. Much faster than SSD.

05-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
I had files larger than 2GB running but I have Photoshop CC and it wouldn't save in PSD as it exceeded maximum file size for *.psd files but then I saved it as TIFF without any compression and it did, conserving all layers for later work. Never thought about this as I do not have so many larger files but now as you raised this have to check when I get home (at work now)...
I suspect (but don't know) that this is a limitation CS5. I know of 20GB Photoshop documents.

Last edited by Clinton; 06-01-2017 at 05:17 PM.
05-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The latest one came out at 5562 x 35446, at 240 pixels per inch (although I believe I reduced it in size some so I could save it as a *.tiff). It was created from 14 images, each around 4928 x 3264 at 240 ppi.
So around 200Mp- shouldn't be much bigger than 300-400Mb as a JPEG. Perhaps a limitation of CS5 being able to save that big of pixel count? I'd see if CS CC can do it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2017, 01:06 AM   #19
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So around 200Mp- shouldn't be much bigger than 300-400Mb as a JPEG. Perhaps a limitation of CS5 being able to save that big of pixel count? I'd see if CS CC can do it.
The problem is I can't save the ultra large files as *.jpeg. Even in PS CC.

05-31-2017, 01:06 AM   #20
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
How much RAM do you have on your system. As Adam suggests allocate more to Photoshop. If you have boatloads of memory consider using a RAM drive for your scratch drive. Much faster than SSD.
64gb DDR4-3200.

The first thing I did after building this system and installing Photoshop was to configure the scratch disc limits.

The system drive is a 1tb SSD, so plenty of room and bandwidth there.

But really, the problem isn't hardware, it is the software limitations of 2gb and 4gb. I can save *.tiff up to 2gb, and the other formats mentioned earlier up to 4gb.

And anything over 2gb won't allow saving to *.jpeg.
05-31-2017, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

64gb DDR4-3200.

The first thing I did after building this system and installing Photoshop was to configure the scratch disc limits.

The system drive is a 1tb SSD, so plenty of room and bandwidth there.

But really, the problem isn't hardware, it is the software limitations of 2gb and 4gb. I can save *.tiff up to 2gb, and the other formats mentioned earlier up to 4gb.

And anything over 2gb won't allow saving to *.jpeg.
Got an idea- what if you change the image mode to 8 bits/channel in the menu? That might allow you to save as a jpeg.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2017, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tried at home and the *psd file size limit is 2GB (30,000 x 30,000 pixels max size)
*.tiff files can go up to 4GB

The only solution you have is to save as *.PSB where the file size limit is around 4EB (Exabytes) and the maximum resolution is 300K x 300K pixels, any DPI.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: PSB files can be exported as TIFF for compatibility with other software

05-31-2017, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #23

Optimize performance Photoshop CC

Work within file-size limitations

Very large files are often the cause of performance problems. Photoshop supports a maximum file size of 300,000 x 300,000 pixels, except for PDF files, which are limited to 30,000 x 30,000 pixels and 200 x 200 inches.

File size capability for Photoshop:
  • PSD files: 2 GB
  • TIFF files: 4 GB
  • PSB files: 4 exabytes (4096 petabytes or 4 million terabytes)
  • PDF files: 10 GB (pages are limited to a maximum size of 200 inches)

So PSB files have a 4 million terabyte limitation vs 4 GB of TIFFs, but you are still limited to 300K × 300K pixels.
05-31-2017, 07:31 AM   #24
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got an idea- what if you change the image mode to 8 bits/channel in the menu? That might allow you to save as a jpeg.
I thought about this, but won't I loose a considerable amount of the original image's resolution? And should it prove successful, can I return to 16 or 32 bits/channel after saving as *.jpeg without losing the detail in the original image?
05-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #25
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just tried this on a 1.1gb *.tiff image. At 8 bits/channel it still only allows saving to one of those three large file size formats, *.tiff, *.psb or (Photoshop Raw) *.raw.

So far the only solution I have been able to come up with has been to reduce the original file size to something just under the 2gb size and then save save as *.jpeg.

Of course I also have to remember to not do a save before returning the original file to the original size.

A clunky way to work around this odd limitation.
05-31-2017, 07:51 AM   #26
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Optimize performance Photoshop CC

Work within file-size limitations

Very large files are often the cause of performance problems. Photoshop supports a maximum file size of 300,000 x 300,000 pixels, except for PDF files, which are limited to 30,000 x 30,000 pixels and 200 x 200 inches.

File size capability for Photoshop:
  • PSD files: 2 GB
  • TIFF files: 4 GB
  • PSB files: 4 exabytes (4096 petabytes or 4 million terabytes)
  • PDF files: 10 GB (pages are limited to a maximum size of 200 inches)

So PSB files have a 4 million terabyte limitation vs 4 GB of TIFFs, but you are still limited to 300K × 300K pixels.
Thank you for this detail. I found some of this info before starting this thread, but missed the 4 exabyte limit on the *.psb files.

Still, it seems the only way around my original dilemma is to reduce the file size until it is small enough that it allows a save to *.jpeg. And by doing so I feel that I am letting go of too much of the detail and image data from the original file.
05-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I thought about this, but won't I loose a considerable amount of the original image's resolution? And should it prove successful, can I return to 16 or 32 bits/channel after saving as *.jpeg without losing the detail in the original image?
You wouldn't lose any resolution, and colors in the output file since JPEGs are 8 bits per channel still. There will of course be a bit of compression, but nothing significant at that resolution.

Sounds like the saga continues- I can mess with the file on my end if you can share it somewhere.

Adam

05-31-2017, 03:08 PM   #28
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You wouldn't lose any resolution, and colors in the output file since JPEGs are 8 bits per channel still. There will of course be a bit of compression, but nothing significant at that resolution.

Sounds like the saga continues- I can mess with the file on my end if you can share it somewhere.
Thanks Adam.

I'll see if I can stick it on Drop Box later on. Time to have a late lunch and then get busy with vehicle maintenance tasks. I'll sned a PM later with details if I can get it uploaded.
06-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #29
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Thanks Adam.

I'll see if I can stick it on Drop Box later on. Time to have a late lunch and then get busy with vehicle maintenance tasks. I'll sned a PM later with details if I can get it uploaded.
Still trying to upload this to Drop Box. It is 2.69gb and has failed several times to upload. I have it working on the upload once again, I'll check back later on the progress (or lack thereof).
06-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #30
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So around 200Mp- . . . . . . .
I just checked and it is 206.5 mega pickles.

Sheesh!

The detail of the image is awesome. I used a Sigma 135mm Pantel lens on my K5IIs to make the photos for the panorama, and it has very good sharpness across the frame. Multiplied over the 14 shots and as I pixel peep it I am amazed at the level of detail and sharpness. The final image required very little in the way of PP, levels, contrast, color correction.

Still, I'm afraid I may have to reduce the original file some to put in in Dropbox, as I have a 2.5gb limit, and at 2.69gb the file is a bit too large. After trying repeatedly to upload the file I checked, and the account is basic, with a fairly small storage maximum. Since I had some other stuff there I deleted everything, and am going to try once more.

One more note.

This was only an experiment to see if the new computer I built could handle the processing, and it has done very well. Still, I only did one row of photos, and would like to go back and shoot the same scene with a double, or even triple row of images to make the pano with.

A double row will net an image over 400 mega pickles and 5.4gb, a triple row will be around 600mp and around 8gb file size.

I may have to start buying time on a government super computer or something.