Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Processing Large FIles >2gb In Photoshop CS5

I seem to have run into a limitation. When stitching panoramas or stacking for HDR if I use the full resolution file sizes I am limited to how many original photos I can use when the number of files adds up to more than 2gb. It gets even worse when I exceed 4gb as the software won't even allow a save.

The latest round was stitching a 14 shot panorama. The resulting file is just under 4gb. PS will only allow me to save in *.psb, *raw (Photoshop RAW, not Pentax RAW) or *tiff. I usually save the final image as *.jpeg, and then reduce the resolution just enough to post on Flickr, but when the image is over 2gb PS won't allow saving to *.jpeg.

What I have been doing is reducing the resolution of the *.tiff until PS will allow a save to *.jpeg, but what a pain. Additionally I can't seem to find the image size maximum that allows the file to be saved as *.jpeg.

Perhaps I am missing something.

What do you folks do when processing large files?

What do people do when building the large panoramas made with dozens or even hundreds of images?

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-29-2017 at 10:50 AM.
05-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you using a 32 bit version, or a 64 bit version?
05-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The first thing that comes to my mind is that it's maybe either the filesystem that your harddisk is fomatted with or the operating system you are using that may cause these problems. Older filesystems don't allow a single file to be bigger than a certain size (2GB with FAT and 4GB with FAT32). And if your computer is running on an older 32bit operating system then this might also cause this problem. What filesystem and operating system are you using?

---------- Post added 05-29-17 at 01:34 PM ----------

Oh right plus what Clinton said. I didn't know there were two versions (32bit and 64bit) of CS5.

Last edited by alpheios; 05-29-2017 at 01:43 PM.
05-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I seem to have run into a limitation. When stitching panoramas or stacking for HDR if I use the full resolution file sizes I am limited to how many original photos I can use when the number of files adds up to more than 2gb. It gets even worse when I exceed 4gb as the software won't even allow a save.

The latest round was stitching a 14 shot panorama. The resulting file is just under 4gb. PS will only allow me to save in *.psb, *raw (Photoshop RAW, not Pentax RAW) or *tiff. I usually save the final image as *.jpeg, and then reduce the resolution just enough to post on Flickr, but when the image is over 2gb PS won't allow saving to *.jpeg.

What I have been doing is reducing the resolution of the *.tiff until PS will allow a save to *.jpeg, but what a pain. Additionally I can't seem to find the image size maximum that allows the file to be saved as *.jpeg.

Perhaps I am missing something.

What do you folks do when processing large files?

What do people do when building the large panoramas made with dozens or even hundreds of images?
First of all, make sure you're running a 64 bit OS. There is a setting in Photoshop (edit->preferences->performance, see below) that allows you to configure how much memory the program is allowed to use. I'd increase this limit to at least half of your total ram, and also allow additional "scratch disk" space to be used on your secondary hard drive or (preferably) ssd. That should speed things up nicely even if you fill up your ram.

That said, you'll probably get better results by operating on a file that's smaller to begin with. I'd consider splitting the pano into 2 or 3 parts after stitching, and also make sure that your TIFF is saved with lossless compression.

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry, I suppose I should have included some details.

Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit.

Photoshop CS5 64 bit.

NTFS file system.

So I can save an image file up to 4gb but I am limited to one of 3 file types, none of which allow for saving to an internet friendly file and file size. Makes it difficult to share my work with my peers.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-29-2017 at 03:17 PM.
05-29-2017, 03:08 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

FAT32 file system
That's your problem. Your OS file system should be NTFS not FAT32.

This should help:

05-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
First of all, make sure you're running a 64 bit OS. There is a setting in Photoshop (edit->preferences->performance, see below) that allows you to configure how much memory the program is allowed to use. I'd increase this limit to at least half of your total ram, and also allow additional "scratch disk" space to be used on your secondary hard drive or (preferably) ssd. That should speed things up nicely even if you fill up your ram.

That said, you'll probably get better results by operating on a file that's smaller to begin with. I'd consider splitting the pano into 2 or 3 parts after stitching, and also make sure that your TIFF is saved with lossless compression.
Thanks for the input Adam, but system performance is not the problem. Large files are the problem, and the limited file types available for saving the panoramas and large stack HDR images.

I've read that when processing image files it is important to use the full resolution original file, then reduce size accordingly for uploading and display in the web, saving the full resolution files for printing.

05-29-2017, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You must have been posting while I was typing and searching. Check my post Racer.
05-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
That's your problem. Your OS file system should be NTFS not FAT32.

This should help:

Windows 7: convert fat32 to ntfs - YouTube

My mistake, it is NTFS.
05-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was wondering how a Windows 7 64 bit OS ended up FAT32.

Question, when you stack, are they like layers?
05-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #11
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was wondering how a Windows 7 64 bit OS ended up FAT32.
It wasn't. My mistake.

Question, when you stack, are they like layers?
Yes, when Photoshop combines images, either for a pano or an HDR image, the resulting file has as many layers as there are images in the group. Then layers are added for adjustments, etc. In the end it is all merged and flattened to a single layer. That reduces the size somewhat, but the file can still be quite large.

I've had to abandon work because the final product was too big, or at least settle for a greatly reduced resolution final image.
05-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That was going to be my next question. If you flattened or merged the layers. Because if you don't you can't save the whole image as a jpeg.
05-29-2017, 03:46 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It wasn't. My mistake.

Yes, when Photoshop combines images, either for a pano or an HDR image, the resulting file has as many layers as there are images in the group. Then layers are added for adjustments, etc. In the end it is all merged and flattened to a single layer. That reduces the size somewhat, but the file can still be quite large.

I've had to abandon work because the final product was too big, or at least settle for a greatly reduced resolution final image.
What's the resolution of the final image?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-29-2017, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had files larger than 2GB running but I have Photoshop CC and it wouldn't save in PSD as it exceeded maximum file size for *.psd files but then I saved it as TIFF without any compression and it did, conserving all layers for later work. Never thought about this as I do not have so many larger files but now as you raised this have to check when I get home (at work now)...
05-30-2017, 07:33 AM   #15
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What's the resolution of the final image?
The latest one came out at 5562 x 35446, at 240 pixels per inch (although I believe I reduced it in size some so I could save it as a *.tiff). It was created from 14 images, each around 4928 x 3264 at 240 ppi.