Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2017, 06:06 AM   #1
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Google ends Nik Collection development

It was too good to be true for too long - it seems that Google is ending development on the Nik Collection, after buying-out the company and then giving the software away for free:

Google abandons the Nik Collection - Won't develop it beyond CC 2015 - DIY Photography

one note - the story discusses the Nik Collection pretty much from the standpoint of the software is only usable at plug-ins for Ps and Lr, but I have found that the entire Nik Collection works fine as standalone apps, completely independent of any Adobe software...

05-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #2

Damn... it had the best sharpening tool ever.
05-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

Not surprising.. but also very disappointing. That seems to be what Google does.. like most large companies.. they buy a smaller company, extract what they want from them, then throw the remains on the ground to rot.

These are essentially to my processing workflow. They work fine in LR6 on Windows10 though. I don't see a problem coming up too quick...

I've read that some of the developers of the Nik collection, after Google purchased them, left and started MacPhun. So perhaps Luminar is the next 'best' software once/if Nik stops working on an updated platform?
05-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a real shame. That said, the tools run well on Windows 10 and I think we can expect them to run just as well on whatever comes next - and possibly further into the future still with a "compatibility mode" setting. So, for those who are happy with the tools as they are (and I for one am very happy with them), there's no reason why we can't keep using them for a long time to come

05-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So, for those who are happy with the tools as they are (and I for one am very happy with them), there's no reason why we can't keep using them for a long time to come
That is the bottom line. As long as one has OS support and one's needs are met, software never becomes truly obsolete.

Steve
05-30-2017, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I believe they purchased the company with the intent to incorporate Nik's technology into a Android mobile app. Seems they are not interested in on-going support in the PC arena. A real shame as it is really an excellent application. While it runs wonderfully under WIN10 and PS for now -- who knows what future PS or MS updates could render it useless. It would be nice if they moved the desktop version into the public domain so development and support could continue.

Last edited by ripper2860; 05-30-2017 at 08:58 AM.
05-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It was pretty much inferred last year when it was announced that it would be free that it would no longer be updated (better to not charge people for something that was no longer being developed.) I'm not sure that they really did much of any updates since they bought it in 2012. As others said, still works fine though.

05-30-2017, 08:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Google finally acknowledged what we already knew for several years. It's been 4(?) years since Nik was updated.

Large companies often buy small companies to extract a few key technologies, killing off the original products. Google isn't in the PC software business.
05-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Google has used nik's technology for all kinds of stuff. For their Pixel phone camera. For sharpening google maps. For adding editing functionality to Google photo's. I am not aware they really did any developing on the Nik collection. They just made it free and it will continue working.
05-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm surprised nobody has bought it from Google. Topaz and On1 seem to be drifting away from Adobe and are building their own stand alone apps...
05-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
...it will continue working.
Only until an unlucky Lightroom or Windows update breaks it.
05-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Apple and Microsoft have done the same with hundreds of companies. To the point where I'd say 99% of the time, they are interested in proprietary code, not the Consumer product. The fact that they just wanted the software for in house use, means they don't want to sell it. They bought proprietary algorithms.That's what they paid for. Nik clearly wasn't making enough income to pique their interest in it as a product. IN fact you can almost assume, Nik had a great product, that had problems in the market place that were marketing and placement related, not technical issues. A perfect acquisition for another company who may have had more use for the code than Nik itself could generate.

Last edited by normhead; 05-30-2017 at 09:15 AM.
05-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #13
k22
Site Supporter

FYI, the entire collection is fully accessible in Apple's Photos app using an app called External Editors.
05-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
FYI, the entire collection is fully accessible in Apple's Photos app using an app called External Editors.
And how does that work?
05-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And how does that work?
External Editors For Photos on the Mac App Store

$.99 to add functionality Apple removed when they ditched iPhoto...