Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D Lightroom Preset

Does anyone have a Preset in Lightroom for K20D? Thanks!

08-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

K20D Lightroom Preset

As I mentioned in the K10D Lightroom Preset Thread, I could take out the K10D specific Macbeth ColorChart adjustments and this could serve as template for the K20D until someone can forward me the K20D specific adjustments. I am attaching the modified version. Let me know how it works for the K20D. As always, unzip the preset and then import it into a preset folder in the Lightroom Develop module.

Last edited by mithrandir; 11-07-2009 at 01:45 PM.
09-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
As I mentioned in the K10D Lightroom Preset Thread, I could take out the K10D specific Macbeth ColorChart adjustments and this could serve as template for the K20D until someone can forward me the K20D specific adjustments. I am attaching the modified version. Let me know how it works for the K20D. As always, unzip the preset and then import it into a preset folder in the Lightroom Develop module.
How would one go about forwarding you the K20D specific adjustments? I'm willing to help if I can. I would love to have a K20D profile for Lightroom, and it seems that Adobe hasn't gotten 'round to anything but the C's and N's so far.

-J
09-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you (or someone else with a K20D) could forward the adjustments you need to make in the Camera Calibration portion of the Develop Module in Lightroom to correct to the MacBeth ColorChart, I could parallel the K10D specific presets with K20D specific presets. By the way, all the other presets (Presets 2-8) will work with both cameras (K10D and K20D) without adjustment. At preset they can be applied to the temporary K20D base preset that I posted earlier in this thread. At present, the K20D base preset does not correct for K20D color inaccuracies.

09-30-2008, 05:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Requesting a tad more information on the process

mithrandir thank you so much for your generous offer to assist in constructing a better default preset for the k20d in LR.

I have been using the trial now for a few weeks and am coming to that time when I have to decide. Over the past few days I have downloaded the trails for silkypix and bibble. My immediate impression is that I find the LR interface both intuitive and aesthetically pleasing. But I struggled getting tone that really wows.

I have the others opened with the same pictures all raw and silkypix's color is so rich and clearly my favorite. Bibble is close and has better hightlight detail. LR has duller colors, less sharpness and struggles making a decent initial image of difficult lighting situations such as primary subjects under shade with bright sunlight all around them. The same pictures were rendered very well in the other two.

Which leads me to figure that there must be the potential for a better k20d specific adjustment. But putting up the $63 for the colorchecker card is a big reach for me right now. What I am asking is for more of an explanation of the procedure. You take the picture of the card and then display it on a calibrated monitor and adjust the colors until they match the card sitting in front of you?

So then what happened to Adobe when they did this? You mentioned k20d's color inaccuracies. This is the first I have read of this. Would you explain more? Would the preset be "better" if calibrated to a specific camera/sensor? Recently I discovered a product that claimed to "eliminate" noise by calibrating the specific noise pattern of a sensor at different ISOs and then "correcting" for it. Is general color correction the same? Would you take pictures of the colorchecker at various ISO? Can you use the colorchecker in conjunction with a white balance card in a difficult lighting situation to use later in PP?

Well thanks for reading this and furthering my education in photography.
09-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Adobe Lightroom makes some camera specific adjustments already in ACR 4.4. It knows what camera you are using from the EXIF data associated with the digital photograph. It is close, but many users feel more can be done to get the colors to more closely match reality. This is where the MacBeth ColorChart comes in play. You have the process pretty much down. What I would need is for someone with Lightroom to photograph the colorchart (with correct white balance). In post processing in Lightroom, they would apply the K20D Base (ACR 4.4) preset (available above) and make adjustments needed in the Camera Calibration portion of the Develop Module so that screen colors (on a calibrated monitor) match the MacBeth ColorChart. Initially, this should be done at ISO 100. This would give us a good baseline on how the CMOS sensor in the K20D rendered specific colors. Since the K10D uses a CCD sensor its baseline is different so the specific adjustments for that camera will be off for the K20D.