Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I think most of the software is so comparable, especially for younger people brought up on computers. They'll adapt as long as the workflow concepts don't change that often. Again, it's probably up to the teacher to instill some sense of awareness of other apps even if the course is tailored around a specific app.

As far as pricing goes, I would only encourage someone to actually contact companies and see if you can work out some type of educational and volume discount. In the thread you repeatedly refer to software as expensive, but most of these programs are comparable in pricing. I realize it adds up when you have to buy for 20,30,+ students, which is why for almost any of these programs I'd encourage contact with a company.

Adobe used to (it sounds like the may not anymore) have such steep education discounts because they could hook users into the software. Other companies may consider that if contacted. I'll have to ask a family friend who teaches digital art (illustrator and photoshop) what she does now. Subscriptions can be appealing from a certain perspective (they seem cheaper and can be if taken advantage of), but they are often impractical for schools, etc, working from a fixed budget and awkward contracting requirements.

I work for a state government, and we always negotiate a fixed annual cost and agreement (for multiple years sometimes) as paying monthly bills is not convenient with the way budgets work. Schools would seemingly be similar only often with even slimmer budgets.

But, back to my original point, I would email companies like On1, Affinity, DxO, Phase1, etc. about the potential for educational discounts. A personal message could mean a lot to the right company at securing a custom deal that would work for you.