Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
TonyW the X3F plugin supplied in that download worked for me with CS4. From what I read if you change the .fff file to .tif you loose the none destructive nature of the .fff file.

Are you able to download the Phocus software from the Hasselblad website for free? It says that it is a free download. I wasn't able to create an account to give it a try. That would give the best results. The Phocus software is Flexcolor essentially.
I can, but it is a pain in my country. Thanks.

06-15-2017, 02:54 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
TonyW the X3F plugin supplied in that download worked for me with CS4. From what I read if you change the .fff file to .tif you loose the none destructive nature of the .fff file.

Are you able to download the Phocus software from the Hasselblad website for free? It says that it is a free download. I wasn't able to create an account to give it a try. That would give the best results. The Phocus software is Flexcolor essentially.
Rico, unless there is a newer plugin the one supplied does not appear to function with CC 2017.

While you may loose the proprietary stuff included with a Hasselblad scan with the Flexcolor software by changing the file extension I do not think that you will necessarily loose too much and this can be repeated within other software such as LR. TIFF can be edited as raw therefore non destructively in PS/LR so again I cannot see that it is a major problem.

The question for me is why a lab output a specific file type such as .fff which cannot be easily read without Hasselblad software when an alternative well documented file type already exists (TIFF) and 99% of imaging software can read and is also lossless?

You can download the Phocus software direct from Hasselblad by first setting up an account. Once account set up log in and go to Support > Downloads > Software (current). Note I had issues downloading via Firefox and had to resort to IE on Windows
Hasselblad

My understandin is that Phocus and Flexcolor software are quite different with Flexcolor being the Imacon driver software therefore if you do not have the Hasselblad scanner it is of no use. Phocus on the other hand is more of an editing and tether capture suite for Hasselblad.

Last edited by TonyW; 06-15-2017 at 03:06 AM.
06-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

TonyW I think that plugin may only work for PS CS2 to CS6. I am only on CS4.

If you can set up an account with Hasselblad's website they actually give you free access to all the needed software including Flexcolor and the PS plugins as far as I can tell. I can not seem to create an account to log in. It could be you need to register a product.
06-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Rico, account set up and you are correct you can download. You do not need to register anything and how could you as you first need to download. This site seems to suffer due to design and you may need to try another browser as I did for download.

But as I said earlier Flexcolor is no good without the Hasselblad/Imacon scanner - it is scanner software only!

The plugin is useless in anything above CS6 AFAIK, it certainly throws an error up in PS CC.

So that leaves Phocus that does work and you can manipulate the negative images that the scanner produces - but it seems at a cursory glance that there is no way to create an inverted image in curves or elsewhere. It is my opinion that there is no difference between a TIFF from suffix change and the 3F file only based on what I Have seen so far

06-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In linux:
$ convert *ne*.fff -negate My_Positive.tif

Instant!
06-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I see now TonyW.

I did not realize the Flexcolor software was only for use with the scanner. I thought it was a stand alone that handled .fff files. The irony is that the .fff stands for Flexible File Format.

Since the digital age I have not used film really in 15 years. I do have the Epson 4990 Photo scanner from 2005. I have maintained the most up to date versions of Silverfast for it which Lasersoft keeps supporting. At some point Silverfast allowed scanning HDR RAW scans as a DNG file. The DNG files are direct negative scans like the .fff files are so in Adobe ACR you have to adjust a negative image then invert after creating a new file. Having a high res DNG file helps reduce repeated scans of the same image.

This feature was introduced in Silverfast to save as DNG files long after I wasn't scanning film any more so I haven't really explored the added benefits. For anyone scanning film I don't think they can go wrong with Lasersoft's Silverfast. They have good support for most all film types.
06-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
Rico, account set up and you are correct you can download. You do not need to register anything and how could you as you first need to download. This site seems to suffer due to design and you may need to try another browser as I did for download.

But as I said earlier Flexcolor is no good without the Hasselblad/Imacon scanner - it is scanner software only!

The plugin is useless in anything above CS6 AFAIK, it certainly throws an error up in PS CC.

So that leaves Phocus that does work and you can manipulate the negative images that the scanner produces - but it seems at a cursory glance that there is no way to create an inverted image in curves or elsewhere. It is my opinion that there is no difference between a TIFF from suffix change and the 3F file only based on what I Have seen so far
And on my PC with Windows 10, Phocus can't even recognize these FFF files generated by Flextight X5 for some reason. FlexColor doesn't work either, the convert to DNG function seem to be almost useless.

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言

06-16-2017, 02:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
And on my PC with Windows 10, Phocus can't even recognize these FFF files generated by Flextight X5 for some reason. FlexColor doesn't work either, the convert to DNG function seem to be almost useless.

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言
There has got to be something wrong somewhere if Phocus not recognising .fff files, either install or error in usage - no issue on my Win 10 PC.

As Flexcolor is for the scanner and I assume you do not have a Hasselblad scanner then I cannot imagine how you would be able to see an fff image that had not been acquired by your scanner - I do not think there is an import option?
Again I believe the DNG option relates to those images that you have acquired not third party