Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Affinity Photo

Has anyone ever used this? It seems like a really good value at like 42 USD. They claim it is just as good as photoshop.

06-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #2

I have it, it's great. I also have photoshop cs5 and tend to use affinity photo instead, great interface and great for raw processing. The price is great too.
06-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is good, and has most of the tools needed for basic editing, though I wouldn't describe it as a replacement for Photoshop, and I only have CS5. For a start, you'll need to have a decent file catalogue system, which CS has with Bridge. Nonetheless, it works with all the Photoshop plugins I have, which are mostly the Topaz ones, and there's no doubting that the price is good. I don't know how regularly updates are being rolled out, as I haven't used it for a while.
06-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Note: Adobe Bridge is freely downloadable from Adobe. All you need is an Adobe ID (also free)

06-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have just downloaded the iOS app for the new Apple iPad Pro 10.5, played around with it some and I am very impressed what less than 20 bucks got me. Might it replace my Lightroom and CS4 maybe... The performance on the A10X is killer with the 4GB of ram. I might be doing photo editing on the iPad, something I didn't think would ever be possible.
06-27-2017, 12:32 AM   #6

I have also bought the app for iOS on the new iPad Pro 12,9". My intention is to skip a normal computer (PC/Mac) entirely for photo editing.
06-27-2017, 01:56 AM   #7

Everything is non destructive. Thats the reason it replaced PS for me!
06-27-2017, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regardless of the rest of my post - it's a great value and excellent quality. There is no way you can go wrong for $50. Now for the rest of my comments.
  • You use LightRoom for basic editing - not PhotoShop. Affinity Photo (AP) is overkill for most tasks. It, like PS has a large learning curve. Its tutorial videos are good - but if you skip over the basics and take a look at their basic workflow videos for basic processing of some images - it can be a heavy load to pull.
  • I was very enthusiastic to adopt it for a number of tasks - rather than acquiring PhotoShop. I wanted to consolidate a number of operations - compositing, stitching, stacking, tone mapping, etc. The basics are there - but its not a wholesale replacement. The devil is in the details for each one of these tasks. AP can operate differently, and does not necessarily provide the expected results. Specialty utilities are still much better than AP for their particular tasks - HDR/tone mapping, leaves a lot to be desired. Stitching is still much easier in Microsoft ICE. And the list goes on. The results are not bad - the product has come light years in a short amount of time, however - it's not there quite yet - especially on the higher level tasks.
  • I hear that they are working on a LightRoom like product - but what capabilities/functionalities it will exactly provide - no one knows.

07-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They have a 10-day trial if you want to look it over or check plugin compatibility.
07-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
Has anyone ever used this? It seems like a really good value at like 42 USD. They claim it is just as good as photoshop.
I use it. It is an exceptional value. I look forward to their LR clone. I will DEFINITELY purchase it once released.