Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2017, 06:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Ask them if they are willing to give you copies of their printer profiles for soft proofing. This can take a lot out of the guesswork on how the final image will look on the media you intend to use* and save you the time and money of getting proof prints made.

*print media can have a drastic effect on tonality in images, And print media and inksets can look different under different kinds of lighting. Not every print maker will use the same brand media or inksets: so choose who prints your work wisely. Find a paper that you like, look up its archival properties and work from there. Have at least one go-to Gloss, Pearl and Matte paper.
is this soft proofing something I do digitally through lightroom. My workflow is pretty much only lightroom. So you know, PEF to lightroom. edit, export Jpeg. Would my work flow change much is I was to print?

08-04-2017, 05:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I may invest in a Monitor Calibrator first. SInce no matter what monitor I buy I should calibrate it. So I might start with that to calibrate my macbook screen nd see how that goes. And then once I buy a monitor I'll be able to calibrate it from day one.

I am assuming cheap screen will calibrate with less accuracy and less colour gamut than an expensive pro screen. But ones got to start somewhere.
08-04-2017, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Eric for printing purposes color accuracy is most important. For the money this Benq SW2700PT delivers near 99% of AdobeRGB which is better to achieve printing accuracy of what you see on the screen and what the print will look like.
08-26-2017, 01:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been looking a lot at the 5k Imac, just because I like them, but for fun at the shop yesterday I opened up flickr on one and views my images full screen or max size I suppose on the Imac and was surprised that they didn't look that great. I thought they would have looked so much better a full res but they kind of looked just okay.

Is that normal? I could see the benefit to 5k as right away I could see flaws in the image, like soft spots from the lens and less sharp area, but over all I was expecting it to I don't know just look amazing at 5k.

08-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
I've been looking a lot at the 5k Imac, just because I like them, but for fun at the shop yesterday I opened up flickr on one and views my images full screen or max size I suppose on the Imac and was surprised that they didn't look that great. I thought they would have looked so much better a full res but they kind of looked just okay.

Is that normal? I could see the benefit to 5k as right away I could see flaws in the image, like soft spots from the lens and less sharp area, but over all I was expecting it to I don't know just look amazing at 5k.
Online photos are a poor way to judge the quality of any monitor. Flickr annoyed lots back a while ago with issues about the quality of their photos re compression, but I don't know the current state of affairs. A much better way to judge is just view what you know to be a high quality image, preferably not in JPEG, at 1:1. And probably in something besides a browser. A pixel shifted Pentax image, for example. And of course it depends on your viewing distance; if you are like 40" away it won't matter at all.
08-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Online photos are a poor way to judge the quality of any monitor. Flickr annoyed lots back a while ago with issues about the quality of their photos re compression, but I don't know the current state of affairs. A much better way to judge is just view what you know to be a high quality image, preferably not in JPEG, at 1:1. And probably in something besides a browser. A pixel shifted Pentax image, for example. And of course it depends on your viewing distance; if you are like 40" away it won't matter at all.
I recently got a photobook printed and noticed in a few images on the far edges some blurred parts. Figured a printed image was revealing what I couldn't see on my macbook air. I am hoping a new larger screen, 2k im looking at the moment, will help reveal the image better before I send them off to print. Still holding out for Imac, but those suckers arent dropping in price.