Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Simple File Marker/Tagger

I'm looking for a way to easily mark a file (.DNG) for future post processing when quickly scanning through the shots I have taken, the purpose of the marker being 'this one has potential and I will edit this one further' etc.

I do event photography, perhaps a speaker in an auditorium for example, and I have learned it's safer to spam the shutter and collect as many shots as possible as many will show the speaker giving unfavorable facial expressions, but if you collect enough 10% or so will portray the speaker in a good light.

I'm looking for a first stage process to 'tag' or mark a file that I deem merits further editing.

Currently my Post Processing system is messy, and I prolly need to migrate properly to LR as opposed to just using it as an editing tool (but there are reasons that I don't embrace LR fully for this feature). I currently start off with using Faststone Image Viewer to view the DNG files in Win 10 explorer, it doesn't matter at this stage if I am viewing the proper raw file or some kinda silly 'jpg preview' thing that might be showing, at this stage I'm not looking to critique the photo properly I am just looking for potential in the shot taken. It's a slightly painful procedure as I then have to note the filename/number down and continue flipping through, it strikes me that if there was some kind of keyboard shortcut that I could use to tag the file then after once I have scanned through the 500 or so shots I can then easily (from explorer or Fast Stone Browser) see the files that I have tagged i.e. they stand out easily.

This idea also strikes me as a good way to eventually cull the raw files I will never use. Once I have PP the ones I like through the file tagging system, if I can then also see all the files that were not tagged, I could just remove them from the disk.

FWIW the reason I don't use LR fully in terms of importing entire libraries is because I find LR to perform slowly worse over time the larger the collection of photos it stores. Once it gets to around 300-400 photos cataloged its performance gets pretty bad and I find refreshing LR by deleting all the files it stores things move smoother once again. My gfx card is also supposed to be supported by LR but it's performance is worse enabling GPU (so i have to toggle it off). I have had Adobe themselves look at my system and try every trick they have to making the experience smoother but they too have also admitted defeat in this case, and I have even tried many reinstalls of OS in an effort to try and get things working better. I will prolly have to invest in newer hardware further down the line and research what LR and PS enjoy in this regard. However, I blame Adobe in this regard, I have a 144hz gaming monitor and can push most popular games to over 150fps with this gfx card so how Adobe can't get LR to support it is pretty lame imo, I may ditch LR and PS in future (and save myself $14/month whilst I'm at it!), so yeh avoiding 'LR solutions' to this question is probably best.

Thanks for any suggestions/help in advance!

Bruce

07-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm looking for a way to easily mark a file (.DNG) for future post processing when quickly scanning through the shots I have taken, the purpose of the marker being 'this one has potential and I will edit this one further' etc.

I do event photography, perhaps a speaker in an auditorium for example, and I have learned it's safer to spam the shutter and collect as many shots as possible as many will show the speaker giving unfavorable facial expressions, but if you collect enough 10% or so will portray the speaker in a good light.

I'm looking for a first stage process to 'tag' or mark a file that I deem merits further editing.

Currently my Post Processing system is messy, and I prolly need to migrate properly to LR as opposed to just using it as an editing tool (but there are reasons that I don't embrace LR fully for this feature). I currently start off with using Faststone Image Viewer to view the DNG files in Win 10 explorer, it doesn't matter at this stage if I am viewing the proper raw file or some kinda silly 'jpg preview' thing that might be showing, at this stage I'm not looking to critique the photo properly I am just looking for potential in the shot taken. It's a slightly painful procedure as I then have to note the filename/number down and continue flipping through, it strikes me that if there was some kind of keyboard shortcut that I could use to tag the file then after once I have scanned through the 500 or so shots I can then easily (from explorer or Fast Stone Browser) see the files that I have tagged i.e. they stand out easily.

This idea also strikes me as a good way to eventually cull the raw files I will never use. Once I have PP the ones I like through the file tagging system, if I can then also see all the files that were not tagged, I could just remove them from the disk.

FWIW the reason I don't use LR fully in terms of importing entire libraries is because I find LR to perform slowly worse over time the larger the collection of photos it stores. Once it gets to around 300-400 photos cataloged its performance gets pretty bad and I find refreshing LR by deleting all the files it stores things move smoother once again. My gfx card is also supposed to be supported by LR but it's performance is worse enabling GPU (so i have to toggle it off). I have had Adobe themselves look at my system and try every trick they have to making the experience smoother but they too have also admitted defeat in this case, and I have even tried many reinstalls of OS in an effort to try and get things working better. I will prolly have to invest in newer hardware further down the line and research what LR and PS enjoy in this regard. However, I blame Adobe in this regard, I have a 144hz gaming monitor and can push most popular games to over 150fps with this gfx card so how Adobe can't get LR to support it is pretty lame imo, I may ditch LR and PS in future (and save myself $14/month whilst I'm at it!), so yeh avoiding 'LR solutions' to this question is probably best.

Thanks for any suggestions/help in advance!

Bruce
Bruce,

You might want to take a look at the free Faststone Viewer (if you're on Windows). It has a tag & select option. I use it as first pass on a folder of images to tag the ones I want to delete, then I can select and delete just the tagged ones, leaving the 'good' ones behind. You can find it at FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... They even have a portable version which doesn't need installing. A very handy utility.

Fred.
07-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
Bruce,

You might want to take a look at the free Faststone Viewer (if you're on Windows). It has a tag & select option. I use it as first pass on a folder of images to tag the ones I want to delete, then I can select and delete just the tagged ones, leaving the 'good' ones behind. You can find it at FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... They even have a portable version which doesn't need installing. A very handy utility.

Fred.
Fred, I already use Faststone Image Viewer, I wasn't aware of this feature, I'll see if I can figure out where that feature lies and what I have to do/press to enable a tag mark as that is exactly what I need to do (so far I have only really used FS to view thumbnails and DNG files and not a lot more...)

Cheers,

Bruce

EDIT: Perfect, found the feature! Wonder why it is disabled as default... i mean what harm is there in having it 'on' from the get go (woulda saved me this post lol). Thanks once again Fred.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 07-24-2017 at 05:11 PM.