Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
[I]The only thing for me is the default 1440 resolution, where I would prefer text viewing at normal Full HD... hard to have the best of both worlds.
My personal opinion is that default resolution of 1440 is perfect for 27'' display, but some will disagree. I strongly suggest that you visit any computer store in your area and take a look at 1440px 27'' display, does not matter brand, and just look afterwords at 1080px displays. The colours and gradients are much smoother and if we are speaking about BENQ I suggested then even better as this is 10-bit panel. In my opinion from 1080px to 1440px at 27'' is not too much of a jump. Just go for it.

08-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
My personal opinion is that default resolution of 1440 is perfect for 27'' display, but some will disagree. I strongly suggest that you visit any computer store in your area and take a look at 1440px 27'' display, does not matter brand, and just look afterwords at 1080px displays. The colours and gradients are much smoother and if we are speaking about BENQ I suggested then even better as this is 10-bit panel. In my opinion from 1080px to 1440px at 27'' is not too much of a jump. Just go for it.
While I would love that BenQ, the price is a little hard to swallow... I could go with a 1440 display with some arm twisting, but I need to figure a newer graphic card into the equation too... my onboard Intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU with shared mem on my Core-I7 board prolly won't be up to the task.

The BenQ GW2765HT and PD2700Q both are different series but look very similar in spec, mostly different stands, etc?

Any thoughts on those two, since they are a bit more affordable and I could then swing the vid card too? Amazon says they are older models, but when you click to see what they are saying is the newer model, it is a 4K monitor at 1/3rd higher price, so, there really isn't a newer version of these two?

Eric

Last edited by Erictator; 08-14-2017 at 01:37 PM.
08-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I do not know your location but if you are close to the border then here in Canada is cheaper to get it...

Canada: BenQ SW2700PT Photography 27" QHD 2560x1440 IPS Monitor, 5ms(GTG), DCR 20,000,000:1 (1000:1), 99% Adobe RGB, Hardware Calibration, Shading Hood, Palette Master - Newegg.ca

USA: BenQ SW2700PT Photography 27" QHD 2560x1440 IPS Monitor, 5ms(GTG), DCR 20,000,000:1 (1000:1), 99% Adobe RGB, Hardware Calibration, Shading Hood, Palette Master-Newegg.com

Usually the Intel 4000 supports the resolution of 1440px display via display port. Should support also via HDMI but not sure about it and i7 should have not a problem with that. You have more then enough processing power just RAM memory and it should be good.

From two you mentioned I prefer the PD2700Q but both of them do not support hardware calibration and if you are planing to add calibration device then you have to think about it.

---------- Post added 08-14-17 at 03:24 PM ----------

Sorry my mistake... It is cheaper in US to get it.
08-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do not know your location but if you are close to the border then here in Canada is cheaper to get it...

Canada: BenQ SW2700PT Photography 27" QHD 2560x1440 IPS Monitor, 5ms(GTG), DCR 20,000,000:1 (1000:1), 99% Adobe RGB, Hardware Calibration, Shading Hood, Palette Master - Newegg.ca

USA: BenQ SW2700PT Photography 27" QHD 2560x1440 IPS Monitor, 5ms(GTG), DCR 20,000,000:1 (1000:1), 99% Adobe RGB, Hardware Calibration, Shading Hood, Palette Master-Newegg.com

Usually the Intel 4000 supports the resolution of 1440px display via display port. Should support also via HDMI but not sure about it and i7 should have not a problem with that. You have more then enough processing power just RAM memory and it should be good.

From two you mentioned I prefer the PD2700Q but both of them do not support hardware calibration and if you are planing to add calibration device then you have to think about it.

---------- Post added 08-14-17 at 03:24 PM ----------

Sorry my mistake... It is cheaper in US to get it.
That BenQ PD2700Q could do... but I just checked spec on my graphics card on my specific Intel DH77EB motherboard, and the manual contradicts itself when it says it tops out at 1080, but then goes on to give the max tech spec of each port. That is probably theoretical of the port industry standard max? Prolly a safe bet I'll need a new card?

"1.3.1.1.1 Intel® High Definition (Intel® HD) Graphics
The Intel HD graphics controller features the following:
 High-Definition content at up to 1080p resolution

but then goes on to say:

The DVI-I port supports both digital and analog DVI displays. The maximum
supported resolution is 1900 x 1200 (WUXGA
). The DVI port is compliant with the
DVI 1.0 specification. DVI analog output can also be converted to VGA using a DVIVGA
converter.

The HDMI port supports standard, enhanced, or high definition video, plus multichannel
digital audio on a single cable. It is compatible with all ATSC and DVB HDTV
standards and supports eight full range channels at 24-bit/96 kHz audio of lossless
audio formats such as Dolby* TrueHD or DTS* HD Master Audio. The maximum
supported resolution is 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA).

DisplayPort is a digital communication interface that utilizes differential signaling to
achieve a high bandwidth bus interface designed to support connections between PCs
and monitors, projectors, and TV displays. DisplayPort is suitable for display
connections between consumer electronics devices such as high definition optical disc
players, set top boxes, and TV displays. DisplayPort output can also be converted to
HDMI using a DisplayPort-HDMI converter. The DisplayPort interface supports the 1.1a
specification.
DisplayPort’s maximum supported display resolution is 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz refresh
with a 16:10 aspect ratio (WQXGA).

08-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
DisplayPort is a digital communication interface that utilizes differential signaling to
achieve a high bandwidth bus interface designed to support connections between PCs
and monitors, projectors, and TV displays. DisplayPort is suitable for display
connections between consumer electronics devices such as high definition optical disc
players, set top boxes, and TV displays. DisplayPort output can also be converted to
HDMI using a DisplayPort-HDMI converter. The DisplayPort interface supports the 1.1a
specification.
DisplayPort’s maximum supported display resolution is 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz refresh
with a 16:10 aspect ratio (WQXGA).
That's right... according to my experience with Intel integrated GPU's the 4000 should support that resolution. That's the reason I asked if your PC has display port output, otherwise many of the cheaper GPU's support that resolution and plenty of them are out there for under/around 100USD.

I wait usually until Christmas when we get all those sweat deals and then strike and get the new shiny display. In your case is a bit different as your display is failing and you do not have a choice. I think that you are on the right path if you like to get display arm that support two displays as you will have plenty of space underneath. I use currently single display arm (SANUS MD115 | Desk Mounts | Mounts | Products | SANUS) and might upgrade that in the future as well when I get another display but this one is sturdy and supports heavy displays. Since day I got it I was very happy with it and now I cannot think to have display differently mounted.

Whatever route you go I hope that you will be happy with your purchase.
08-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's right... according to my experience with Intel integrated GPU's the 4000 should support that resolution. That's the reason I asked if your PC has display port output, otherwise many of the cheaper GPU's support that resolution and plenty of them are out there for under/around 100USD.

I wait usually until Christmas when we get all those sweat deals and then strike and get the new shiny display. In your case is a bit different as your display is failing and you do not have a choice. I think that you are on the right path if you like to get display arm that support two displays as you will have plenty of space underneath. I use currently single display arm (SANUS MD115 | Desk Mounts | Mounts | Products | SANUS) and might upgrade that in the future as well when I get another display but this one is sturdy and supports heavy displays. Since day I got it I was very happy with it and now I cannot think to have display differently mounted.

Whatever route you go I hope that you will be happy with your purchase.
OK, getting close to a choice here, just one last question. I'm still mildly anxious about text size in native 1440 mode, because screen or font scaling never looks as good as native mode, so if I find 1440 too small, then flipping into 1080 might look like crap and defeat the purpose of buying a good display.

So... the $64K question is, do you think the 32" version in the same series, the BenQ PD3200Q, which is still under $500, would look good at 1440 or at least a compromize between 1080 on the 27", or does it totally defeat the whole purpose of going to 1440 on the 27" display? Is it a fair compromise? This would also abate the whole dual display thing and actually save money. I know I sound all over the place, but I really am zoning in on my choice and just weighting all the options.

Thanks again,
Eric
08-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE: Just hit my local BestBuy store on my lunch hour to see what they had to demo... wow! The brick and mortar stores are really hurting. I was appalled at the low inventory, low display model options, etc. They spread it around thin to make it look like there is more than there is, but evidently internet sales are kicking their butts.

They had a half dozen monitors on display, 1) 4K 32" HP Pavillion (looked soft) 1)27" 4K Curved LG? then a mix of low end TN & IPS 23" to 27" AOC, Asus, etc. in 1080 only. No 1440 displays at all. So much for an in store demo. The pricing was fine, and if they had something I wanted I probably would have bought it there, but they really had nothing interesting to speak of. To make matters worse, the demo displays were running a slide show loop with no PC access, so even if they had what I wanted, I could not have demo's them other than just watching the canned 1080 slideshow which is worthless for evaluating a display. Just... wow...

Eric

08-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

First BenQ PD3200Q is not an IPS panel. It is an VA (vertical alignment) and that is better than TN but worse than IPS. Colors are better on the IPS in general.
Second the resolution of 1440px on 32'' is worse than 1080px on 27'', speak you should stick with 27" and 1440px displays.
If you are familiar with 24'' 1080px displays the 27'' 1440px is very similar in terms of the resolution, a bit better... If you are fine with fonts on 21'' display with 1920x1080px resolution that will be fairly similar to 27'' with 2560x1440px resolution.

In regards of Best Buy - no comment!
you have to go to proper computer store with lots of choice... we have here Canada Computers and they have fairly large display variety displayed, 4K, 2K, 1080 etc.
08-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
First BenQ PD3200Q is not an IPS panel. It is an VA (vertical alignment) and that is better than TN but worse than IPS. Colors are better on the IPS in general.
Second the resolution of 1440px on 32'' is worse than 1080px on 27'', speak you should stick with 27" and 1440px displays.
If you are familiar with 24'' 1080px displays the 27'' 1440px is very similar in terms of the resolution, a bit better... If you are fine with fonts on 21'' display with 1920x1080px resolution that will be fairly similar to 27'' with 2560x1440px resolution.

In regards of Best Buy - no comment!
you have to go to proper computer store with lots of choice... we have here Canada Computers and they have fairly large display variety displayed, 4K, 2K, 1080 etc.
Wow, thanks so much! I really have to learn to not trust these manufacturers and read everything... I guess we can't assume just because a monitor is within a model series that the larger one is at least the same technology.

I figured that the screen being 20% bigger would make any resolution difference mute, or worse. OK, 1440 x 27 IPS it is!
Eric
08-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I am using a BenQ 27" monitor with VA panel as TV/streaming monitor with a chromecast. It's colours are pretty saturated but viewing angles are good and black level is very good. Built in monitor speakers near always suck . For pc sound I use powered studio monitors. Great sound for a small price.
08-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

No problem at all... have fun with you new display whatever you are getting.
08-29-2017, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I realized I needed to post an update and thank all here who helped me decide. I did end up going with the BenQ SW2700PT after all. And...

It came Monday...And... it is glorious! I have never been able to use screen scaling on fonts before and have it work worth a darn because you always ended up with scroll bars in some apps... but 150% text screen scaling works PERFECT on a 27" 1440 display and everything looks soooooo sweeeet! The setup was totally automatic... plugged in the DP cable, came up with no intervention from me, in 1440, ready to rock.

I tried it without the hood for about half an hour, then couldn't take it, the curiosity was getting to me so I stuck the hood on, and it really helps with stray light from my window on the left of my desk and increased the color accuracy and ease of seeing the screen without fatigue.

The monitor stand is really heavy duty and high quality. It holds the remote in a nice little cut-out too. Great swivel, smooth and solid with lots of height if you need it, and a enough down tilt, plenty of back tilt. Haven't played with the rotation yet, but it does move when I play with it.

I haven't attempted any calibration yet, and it seems a little bright to me out of the box, but it may just be that my old TN panel had got so dim with old age that I got used to it. I'm going to leave it as-is for a while and see if I get used to it, because...

I pulled up some of my K-1 photo's and ....WOW! The good photo's look great, and the photo's I always suspected were so-so, you could definitely see focus errors, not bad, but like the eye wasn't in focus, the eyelash really was the focus point, or whatever. The texture of the photo's is now more apparent when there is grain on high iso shots, but not bad... but the big change is the colors... OMG...the COLORS and perceived depth!

Needless to say, I am tickled to death that I can not only perceive a difference, but a major improvement. So many times we WANT to see things improve for the money we spent that we kinda imagine it, but this left no doubts. Coming from my old monitor that was failing, dim, the flickering was driving me nuts, and near the end-of-life probably helped that perception but I'm not complaining.

Thanks to all who helped out here, and for any of you on the fence because you are afraid of text size on 1440 resolution on a 27" display, from my experience with screen scaling, I say go for it! If you are looking for the poor working stiff's affordable Eizo Display, I think this might be it!

Eric

Last edited by Erictator; 12-22-2017 at 02:42 PM.
11-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #28

I have Dell S2715H and it is not bad, but the screen is glossy and you have to pay attention where it will be placed...

Dell 27 Multimedia Full HD Monitor - S2715H

CNET: Dell S2715H Specs - CNET

EDIT: As someone mention before the stand is not very good but I do have display arm that is very good and therefore no problem with adjustments. Dell I use has IPS display and VESA mount at the back and this was important to me. The glossy screen have really good colors and I cannot complain. I use this one with my Linux PC and Win10Pro PC with Adobe CC. I am currently upgrading my other PC which will have a premium display (27'' or 32''). It takes time as I do not rush to spend all money in one month (Just got 32GB of G.Skill RAM Ares) and every month I am getting something. Next purchase is SSD (probably Samsung 850 Pro) and then the display. You may look at those that I am considering but the price can be on the higher side. Here is my list:

Dell UP2716D
Dell UP3017
Dell UP3216Q
BENQ SW2700PT
BENQ PV270
Asus PA329Q
Asus PB278Q
Searching this list all week for a black friday deal. Side note, have you seen Tony Northrup's video about ssds? May save you some money
11-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Those displays are rarely on promotions except Dell's but anyway is worth looking into.
12-22-2017, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #30

Here's my two cents worth. I have never paid much over $100, maybe $125 w/tax. I have and use a 21" from eMachines, bought used under $100. Excellent. I also have and use a 24" Sceptre bought new for $107 from amazon.com in Jan, 2017. Now these are not brand new, have used them for years. Have no problems. I am 79 yrs old and my eyes are not the best. Also, this Sceptre, even though over a year old, has the HDMI connection should you so desire to use that. So my suggestion is to go to Amazon.com. I have shopped there for years and have never been dissatisfied nor disappointed. El caveat Emptor! Finally, buy the largest size you can. There are some 27?tag=pentaxforums-20&" under $100, and because I'm frugal, that's where I go. Avoid the office supply stores. I've seen monitors for sale at big name office supply stores that are "out of production" or "last years models". I know others posts are more informative and high end, but for me, K.I.S.S.