Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
Forum Member

Apple's Photos High Sierra versus Lightroom

I'm looking for your help. For the past four years, I have used Lightroom 5 for all of my photo editing and cataloging requirements. 99% of my photo editing is with Pentax DNG's and completed in Lightroom's develop module. After a fatal crash, I called Adobe for support as I had exhausted every possible avenue. To my surprise I was told they no longer offered any support for LR5 and I would have to move to LR CC. Totally taken by surprise...I got very mad and am starting to look for alternatives.

My first choice was Apple. Every time I have ever called for support on my aging MacBook Pro 2010 typically software related stuff they have spent oodles of time working with me to resolve my issues. Their support is always first class. Adobe well all I can say is that I don't even care to support their third class service nor am I willing to spend any more money with their LR CC product. furthermore I'm also told that they provide very limited support and for the first 90 days go figure.

My question to you more experienced folks is as follows given High Sierra OSX which apparently has given Photo's a new lease on life from what I have read thus far.

1) Can Photos replace LR5 for my basic needs to edit my photos which I current use in the Develop Module of LR5 and manage my photos catalogue in a similar manner?
2) Every thing I have read about Apple's Photos suggests that one should not used a referenced setup but should use a managed setup. My concern with the latter setup is I may loose all my RAW photos should I ever decide in the future to use alternative software.
3) What do you folks use other than Adobe's Lightroom for cataloging and the basic photo editing available in LR Develop module? Are there similar solutions and or Extensions/Plugins that I consider to replace and replicate LR5

Thank you in advance, time is off the essence as I really need to make some significant hardware and software changes. I work every day on my photos strictly as a hobbyist now that I'm retired to keep sane.

08-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
mac user here - but have never used Lightroom at all...

I went from LightZone (free) to macphun's Luminar and that handles all my post-processing needs...
08-15-2017, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are serious about the switch I would suggest using Luminar from Macphun and using a referenced library rather than the Photos library.

How to use external and referenced libraries with Photos for Mac | iMore

Photo Editor for Mac ? Best Photo Editing Software for Mac | Luminar

Luminar can be as a stand alone app or as an extension in Photos.
08-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #4

Good question, I am curious about the answers too! But as a Pentaxian, I must shout about our enduring legacy, and the dismal lack of continuity by many other major software and technical companies. I still use some 1980's Pentax lenses. Thank you Pentax for providing continuity within our flimsy greed culture! Adobe is a prime example of lack of legacy. Rent precious tools??!! What a crock!

08-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI, I believe you can still get LR6 without going to CC. That's still my primary RAW processor (they recently went to version 6.12). It is still receiving support from Adobe (or, at least, it was 3 months ago when I id'ed a bug in version 6.11, which was fixed in 6.12, released about a month ago). I got LR6 on Amazon. In any event, I've also gotten ON1 Photo Raw 2017 for the Mac in anticipation of Adobe moving to an all CC universe. ON1 seems to do pretty much everything that LR does with a few exceptions that can be expected to be filled in over the next few updates. ON1 also seems to actively support their customers and provides videos and tutorials to help Adobe users make the transition. There is a learning curve involved in going to Photo Raw but it doesn't seem to be insurmountable. As with Luminar, Photo RAW can be used as a standalone, or as a plugin for Apple Photos, Adobe Lightroom, or Adobe Photoshop. I have no relationship with ON1 other than as a customer.

Edit: I've also heard that Apple Photos is getting some new tools that are much more sophisticated than those of previous versions. Whether it can truly substitute for Lightroom remains to be seen.
08-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adsouza Quote
I'm looking for your help. For the past four years, I have used Lightroom 5 for all of my photo editing and cataloging requirements. 99% of my photo editing is with Pentax DNG's and completed in Lightroom's develop module. After a fatal crash, I called Adobe for support as I had exhausted every possible avenue. To my surprise I was told they no longer offered any support for LR5 and I would have to move to LR CC. Totally taken by surprise...I got very mad and am starting to look for alternatives.

My first choice was Apple. Every time I have ever called for support on my aging MacBook Pro 2010 typically software related stuff they have spent oodles of time working with me to resolve my issues. Their support is always first class. Adobe well all I can say is that I don't even care to support their third class service nor am I willing to spend any more money with their LR CC product. furthermore I'm also told that they provide very limited support and for the first 90 days go figure.

My question to you more experienced folks is as follows given High Sierra OSX which apparently has given Photo's a new lease on life from what I have read thus far.

1) Can Photos replace LR5 for my basic needs to edit my photos which I current use in the Develop Module of LR5 and manage my photos catalogue in a similar manner?
2) Every thing I have read about Apple's Photos suggests that one should not used a referenced setup but should use a managed setup. My concern with the latter setup is I may loose all my RAW photos should I ever decide in the future to use alternative software.
3) What do you folks use other than Adobe's Lightroom for cataloging and the basic photo editing available in LR Develop module? Are there similar solutions and or Extensions/Plugins that I consider to replace and replicate LR5

Thank you in advance, time is off the essence as I really need to make some significant hardware and software changes. I work every day on my photos strictly as a hobbyist now that I'm retired to keep sane.
I wouldn't deal with Photos because its raw compatibility engine is dependent upon Apple's OS upgrades. This is unlike post-processing-specific tools like LR and Affinity Photo whose publishers upgrade the apps as needed more frequently than Apple does. Looking at your requirements, unfortunately most of the apps cited here do not have the image management capabilities that Lightroom offers. MacPhun says that Luminar will that these soon, and I believe Affinity has similar goals.
LR 5 was surpassed by LR 6 over two years ago. In digital dog years, especially for photography, that's quite a long time ago. I don't think Adobe's not providing official support is a big black mark as plenty of online resources exist that provide better assistance. Consider spending the $10 per month on LR CC (since you know how LR works, and the CC version is way better than 5) until other vendors get their catalog and image management act together. This should happen by year's end. Then you can try a few out and see if transitioning is worthwhile. You are only out a small amount of money.

M
08-15-2017, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
mac user here - but have never used Lightroom at all...

I went from LightZone (free) to macphun's Luminar and that handles all my post-processing needs...
Great will look at Luminar...much appreciated

---------- Post added 08-15-17 at 05:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If you are serious about the switch I would suggest using Luminar from Macphun and using a referenced library rather than the Photos library.

How to use external and referenced libraries with Photos for Mac | iMore

Photo Editor for Mac ? Best Photo Editing Software for Mac | Luminar

Luminar can be as a stand alone app or as an extension in Photos.
Thank you seems that 2 posters recommend Luminar...so thats where I am headed.

08-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
FYI, I believe you can still get LR6 without going to CC. That's still my primary RAW processor (they recently went to version 6.12). It is still receiving support from Adobe (or, at least, it was 3 months ago when I id'ed a bug in version 6.11, which was fixed in 6.12, released about a month ago). I got LR6 on Amazon. In any event, I've also gotten ON1 Photo Raw 2017 for the Mac in anticipation of Adobe moving to an all CC universe. ON1 seems to do pretty much everything that LR does with a few exceptions that can be expected to be filled in over the next few updates. ON1 also seems to actively support their customers and provides videos and tutorials to help Adobe users make the transition. There is a learning curve involved in going to Photo Raw but it doesn't seem to be insurmountable. As with Luminar, Photo RAW can be used as a standalone, or as a plugin for Apple Photos, Adobe Lightroom, or Adobe Photoshop. I have no relationship with ON1 other than as a customer.

Edit: I've also heard that Apple Photos is getting some new tools that are much more sophisticated than those of previous versions. Whether it can truly substitute for Lightroom remains to be seen.
Definitely not Adobe...I grew up in a customer centred environment...sadly today most big companies don't give a hoot about their customers. So I pretty well will be moving on as I stated earlier. I won't put my dollars to Adobe who don't care. I hearing good things about Apple Photo's and Luminar so that's where my heads at.
08-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have Luminar and Affinity Pro and while I don't use them much, I feel they give me capabilities analogous to Photoshop and they are both well-regarded in the Mac/photo community. Pretty sure they can both be launched as LR Plug-ins to boot.

Lightroom, though, is my cataloging and image management bible and I haven't seen anything that is as robust in the Mac environment.

And yes, I was able to upgrade to LR6 which is a perpetual license (as opposed to subscription).

I'm sure, though, Adobe will force everyone to their subscription model in the pretty near future.
08-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I wouldn't deal with Photos because its raw compatibility engine is dependent upon Apple's OS upgrades. This is unlike post-processing-specific tools like LR and Affinity Photo whose publishers upgrade the apps as needed more frequently than Apple does. Looking at your requirements, unfortunately most of the apps cited here do not have the image management capabilities that Lightroom offers. MacPhun says that Luminar will that these soon, and I believe Affinity has similar goals.
LR 5 was surpassed by LR 6 over two years ago. In digital dog years, especially for photography, that's quite a long time ago. I don't think Adobe's not providing official support is a big black mark as plenty of online resources exist that provide better assistance. Consider spending the $10 per month on LR CC (since you know how LR works, and the CC version is way better than 5) until other vendors get their catalog and image management act together. This should happen by year's end. Then you can try a few out and see if transitioning is worthwhile. You are only out a small amount of money.

M
I hear you and thanks for your input, but my mind is made up...no more Adobe I will move on.

---------- Post added 08-15-17 at 07:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mwilky55 Quote
I have Luminar and Affinity Pro and while I don't use them much, I feel they give me capabilities analogous to Photoshop and they are both well-regarded in the Mac/photo community. Pretty sure they can both be launched as LR Plug-ins to boot.

Lightroom, though, is my cataloging and image management bible and I haven't seen anything that is as robust in the Mac environment.

And yes, I was able to upgrade to LR6 which is a perpetual license (as opposed to subscription).

I'm sure, though, Adobe will force everyone to their subscription model in the pretty near future.
Thanks for your advise, it's interesting that there is a LR6 which may have been the route for them to direct me, but that wasn't even an option. I think I will take my chances and go with Apple Photo and the Luminar extension.
08-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I downloaded Affinity photo from the App store. It cost $49 USD for download on my two 2010 Macs I run it as a add in to photos and the combo works well for me. If photos is not enough for what I want to do I can edit in Affinity and save it to photos. Of course you can use Affinity on its own, but I do like the simplicity of photos and the ability to edit in Affinity when I need more. Just hope my iMac and MacBook pro are not to old for the High Sierra upgrade. It sounds like they will be moving photos closer to functionality to what they had in aperture.
08-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Just hope my iMac and MacBook pro are not to old for the High Sierra upgrade..
I read somewhere that if a computer runs Sierra it will run High Sierra. I'm waiting to see the final compatibility list before I replace my early-2009 Mini with something a year or two newer...
08-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #13
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My recommendation would be Capture One. It has everything a photographer needs from catalog to editing tools. But I don't know whether it runs on your 2010 machine.
08-16-2017, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I realize you're irritated with Adobe; join a big club. But Apple as an alternative? ask the Aperture users how they feel about that. Having dealt with tech support at both companies on numerous occasions for both work or play, I'd say a pox on both their houses.

Photos has only a faint wisp of the capabilities of Lr organizationally. No plugin stuff (extensions in Photos) that work on organization at all. Very miminal batch stuff, even in the new 10.3 version (whoopee...FINALLY got an "edit in..." command). Can't write metadata to file or read it without redoing imports. Can't even do raw from raw images taken with an iPhone without work arounds (like using Lr Mobile).

And yeah, it kept miminal functionality for referenced images. But if you do that, you can't use the library with iCloud Photo Library. That's an all-or-nothing service that only works with one system library. Hence, yes, you should be concerned about all your RAW images' adjustments being stuck there forever unless you export say a finished TIFF. Publishing is also very limited, as is web stuff, and even geo tagging. But hey: free (of course so is Lr CC if you can live without Develop and Map modules). You've got it: import some images and see if it meets your needs. Cuz if it does, then who cares if it's lacking all kinds of stuff?

There are some quite good extensions for it, at least adjusting wise. If you like Aperture, then the guy who did that application (and left...love to know the story) made RAW Power, a very Aperture like extension. Macphun, DxO, and Affinity Photos also have them. The RAW workflow is kinda clumsy, though. You can send a RAW, edit, and get a JPEG back (not many (any?) do TIFF), but if you wanna readjust you have to start all over. Aargh. That's why "edit in.." will be better, cause then you can save in the proprietary format of the editor, like Macphun's format, or Affinities, or Photosshop's, or whatever, and via layers be able to go back. Right now you have to do some working around to accomplish that.

Affinity Photos is nice, but not a Lr substitute, more of a ligher weight Ps. Maphun's Luminar too, although it lacks even stuff like keyboard equivalents for a lot of stuff. But for simple stuff it's fine, especially since it does layers. And it has a very easily used Luminance mask I like. I'd avoid their Creative Kit: they don't say so, but it looks abandoned to me. No updates even though Luminar has been created since, and a new PC version, and another Aurora version.

Another alternative is Mylio. It can read many of Adobe's edits, so that might help with stuff you've already processed. And it's excellent for synching among devices, the best really. But yep, that subscription thing.

Capture One is probably the most Lr-like, and some prefer it's color controls. I didn't think it was nearly as good as Lr for organization (didn't even do hierarchical keywords till recently), and it was pricey (still is). And I had endless online authentication issues. I dropped it, but it's very popular with lots of folks and has a free demo.

Don't overlook Graphic Converter. It can do editing, non-destructive adjusting, filters, georeferencing, all sorts of metadata manipulations and adjustments, convert to HEVC/HEIF (dunno any other non-OEM app that can do that), and has a dandy browser. Might be all your need for one or more of your tasks. And has the best support, bar none, of ANY of these apps (the developer, after all these years, still responds personally to email queries and bug reports and stuff. A true hero).

Perhaps you can get by with just a organization-only tool, and an edit-only tool (like Affinity, or maybe DxO's standalone applications (esp good with lens corrections). Then look at Photo Mechanic. Or XnviewMP, which is free, but has a kinda awkward interface. You might also be able to do a lot with FastRawViewer. At least it works great for culling and sorting into folders and it's less expensive than PM, although can't do as many things. But it's wonderful for anyone who does RAW (and worth it just to study the educational material).

Good luck.
08-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just to piggy back on the note about Graphic Converter....I used it a lot many years ago and really liked it.
I was really amazed when I upgraded to v9 for my Mac and saw how much photographic capability it has. Haven't really tried it out, but it looks pretty robust.